'Casual mode'

TheBurningBlue

Question

I've been playing the game since... I'unno, 2014? Maybe 2015.

It was a lot of fun back then, being able to play Pokémon in my own way and occasionally battle other trainers on my way to get the gym badges.

Once Hoenn was added, I was able to box my Pokémon and train an entirely new team, experimenting with different builds and holding onto those too after getting all of the badges.

I spent a long time playing the game in the way I wanted to play it, forming my own team in the ways I myself would play either one of the generations.

While doing this I was able to interact with the community, trade Pokémon with other people or on the GTL like it were a modern game, and recieve scam mail from Nigerian Princes. I'm not even kidding, that actually happened.

But over the years I've been doing this, there have been changes that have been turning me away from the game.

A lot of people take the game more seriously, so naturally things started to gear towards a more competitive angle. Breeding was modified, EXP limits were introduced, etc etc.

It's not only me that's been drawn away - I've been watching arguments over the EXP limits in the chat just now, and friends of mine won't play the game anymore as they just want to play casual Pokémon in 3 generations but are forced to all of these weird changes that make it harder to play.

This may be a big ask, but I feel its semi-warranted after the large amounts of competitive features that have been added over the years.

- Casual characters

- Can't compete in tournaments or trade with default characters

- Can play the games with same features of the originals, breeding included(?)

- Not held back by EXP caps

I assume something like this is possible - a special box you'd check in character creation to label your character as a 'casual mode' character. They can't interact with the other type as much, but can still trade with other casual players.

tl;dr: characters that cant interact in competitions or trade with default playstyle characters, but can play fire red just like fire red etc

1 hour ago, Roundabout said:

the increased difficulty of storyline makes casual players frustrated and quit the game

ok let them quit, maybe the game wasn't meant for them. The story line is not even that hard. Like for real.

About breeding I felt a big impact at first, but once prices settled down everything was just almost as expensive as it originally was

I, and many others keep on breeding pokemons daily, and we don't feel any impact money wise, it all comes down to money and time management. 

RNG involved in breeding, but RNG is also what made breeding fun,

plain boring honestly, having to re-do time after time to achieve results, plus not good for a competitive environment nor for pokemmo overall economy

but pretty bullshit for those people that just want to play the game with friends

honestly, why would someone who plays this casually, care or even bother about breeding? Makes no sense. If you want to play this like a emulator, you don't require breeding to do so.

@TheBurningBlue
You seem to want variable difficulty modes.  The logistics of starting and maintaining another server with a custom ruleset may be beyond the budget/resources of the current team.  As far as I can tell there are 2 actual devs and then several mods and support staff.

I love the idea.  I really do!  Many online games can benefit from a 'classic' mode.  I wish there was a way to play classic versions of Aion Online before all the new classes came in and messed up the entire balance of the PvP metagame (and it hasn't really recovered since then) with making entire character classes nearly obsolete afterwards.

I haven't played as long as some here who are throwing dates around,  but if the devs have the resources to do this then it would be nice to have a 'classic ruleset' PokeMMO server sometime in the future.

As of now though, with far more pressing priorities (new content, bugfixes, enabling & fixing certain broken skills) in the pipeline, I don't see this kind of thing being done for well over a year.

The beauty of Pokemon is in the adventure.  I hope you find your adventure in PokeMMO or even in other greener pastures.

3 hours ago, Kizhaz said:

The thread is about creating a mode for the casual player, perhaps we can stick to that topic? kthx bai

did you really had to take out my first post here has well? it was giving an idea of another way to implement such a change...

for those who missed it, that way was to give only the home region to be with the old level cap to make starting in this game easier insted of gamemode

I like the basis of this suggestion, but it's a lot easier said than done. I feel as if a lot of casual aspects of this game have been overridden by the need for balancing in the competitive scene, which is what this game has primarily evolved into ever since like 2016. It's one of the primary reasons why I don't come on as much as I used to, simply because the competitive aspect of Pokemmo has completely overtaken the casual aspect. I'm sure there's tons of players like myself, but I'm pretty certain that the developers have made up their mind as to what they want this game to be, and adding a casual mode would be a hassle. I think that new and custom minigames or quests (separate from the dungeons) should be added to the game to satisfy the casual population of this game. This seems more plausible, and I say that because the developers have been deviating more and more from the normal Pokemon games in the recent updates.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:10 PM, redspawn said:

ok let them quit, maybe the game wasn't meant for them. 

I strongly disagree with this, I can guarantee that the developers of this game intended to make the game for both casual and competitive players, but as the community evolved competitively, the game had to evolve competitively as well, and whether you like that or not, that's how it has to be. The only thing that would keep casual players around are more enjoyable casual aspects to the game being added, which unfortunately is apparently not a top priority at the moment. 

Edited by FuzzyRegirock
3 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

I strongly disagree with this, I can guarantee that the developers of this game intended to make the game for both casual and competitive players

Did you always like to eat your greens? No right? But sometimes you tried them, yet there are others that will eat them and like them. The game is meant to be nostalgic, if one doens't like it, what's the big deal about it?

1 minute ago, redspawn said:

Did you always like to eat your greens? No right? But sometimes you tried them, yet there are others that will eat them and like them. The game is meant to be nostalgic, if one doens't like it, what's the big deal about it?

So you're saying that as long as this game satisfies only a portion of its large playerbase, then thats okay?

People who play this game want a reason to stick around, and at the current moment, the only thing that keeps people sticking around is the daunting competitive scene, which prompts the casual players to just leave entirely after the storyline. Why kill off this majority of your playerbase when it isnt necessary?

3 minutes ago, FuzzyRegirock said:

So you're saying that as long as this game satisfies only a portion of its large playerbase, then thats okay?

No, as long as the game satisfies 90%+ of the community the game is fine. Plus you can't make everyone like you, or your product. And no, they're not here to sugarcane their product, they provide a product, you like it, you find it engaging, you use it, else, move on.

The game is still striving through all this years for a reason.

Also obviously what makes people stick around is the competitive scene, guess what, you're playing a PvP game past storyline which is a short story. It's not like Guild wars 2, runescape or some other with a great story, that follows the character development.

Edited by redspawn
7 hours ago, sephiroth1977 said:

The level cap has always been there since day 1! People seem to forget this :/

The only difference is they have changed it from the pokes ignoring you to the poke not leveling up and just storing its exp.

Seriously perfer usable mons over mons that ignore you completely >.>

you missed the part about the lvl cap being much lower than they where before wich is the issue. no one complain about no more lvling pokemon that make you still able to use them, it's the new lower lvl cap that kill some of our playerbase.

2 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

you missed the part about the lvl cap being much lower than they where before wich is the issue. no one complain about no more lvling pokemon that make you still able to use them, it's the new lower lvl cap that kill some of our playerbase.

oh uh, I can't faceroll the game anymore, mimimi. 

The game is doable, I made 2 alts through Unova without using GTL, trading or mailing myself pokemons.

24 minutes ago, redspawn said:

oh uh, I can't faceroll the game anymore, mimimi. 

The game is doable, I made 2 alts through Unova without using GTL, trading or mailing myself pokemons.

your not exactly what we could call a casual player though. pretty much everyone who say this isn't an issue are either comp player or veteran with pretty high knowledge. those aren't the people that are meant to be helped by this change. the only person that could possibly argue this is @XelaKebert with her/his spinpossible challenge but even him/her (yeah no clue what you are xela sorry) isn't a perfect argument has his challenge most likely requiered the use of a lot of item that might have went over the amount that he could normally earn during the story (feel free to yell at me if i am wrong xela i didn't watch it). at least i heard xela tasted defeat at many place and more than once sometime, wich no matter how you look at it isn't fun and could very easily make a casual drop the game. if that learning curve was smoother or if at least we left time for that casual to get hooked to the game we could maybe gain more regular player. even if that casual doesn't stay if he enjoyed the game he could still recomand the game to people around him wich would ultimately help the game and the devs. I doubt this casual would be tempted to do the same about a game that just made him feel like he is shit all the time.

i doubt this casual mode is the best way to go but it's a sign that we (mainly the devs) should make compromise to make more people feel welcome here

God dammit, bring that difficulty level down! The last challenge of region, consisting of 5 best trainers of the region is causing problems for me >:| I want brain-dead NPC in PokeMMO so i can quick attack my way to victory! (They still alow you to setup but it's not enough) I hope devs will do something for dungeons since I want my legendaries without any effort at all

4 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

Wait a minute.. What was the level caps before the unova Region was added? Just out of curiosity.

Is it really that much of a difference?

Forgive me as i done kanto back in 2014 and i barely remember yesterday let alone 4 odd years ago

5 minutes ago, sephiroth1977 said:

Wait a minute.. What was the level caps before the unova Region was added? Just out of curiosity.

Is it really that much of a difference?

Forgive me as i done kanto back in 2014 and i barely remember yesterday let alone 4 odd years ago

just check what the lvl cap is in the vanilla game it was most likely what we used have

5 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

the only person that could possibly argue this is @XelaKebert with her/his spinpossible challenge but even him/her (yeah no clue what you are xela sorry) isn't a perfect argument has his challenge most likely requiered the use of a lot of item that might have went over the amount that he could normally earn during the story (feel free to yell at me if i am wrong xela i didn't watch it). at least i heard xela tasted defeat at many place and more than once sometime, wich no matter how you look at it isn't fun and could very easily make a casual drop the game.

I didn't use that many healing items at all. In fact, you could count the healing items I used in the videos if you had watched them. I lost to Skyla, Brycen, Cheren (pre-E4), and Shauntal 4 times before winning. Aside from those I didn't lose more than 2-3 times for some of the more difficult battles. The battles took a few minutes a piece, except Skyla, so losing more than once in one area wasn't really that off-putting. The only downside is that there was an update that raised the level caps after I had already obtained 7 badges plus the type effectiveness labels added as well. So the last gym battle honestly went much smoother the second time around.

To be completely honest, my self imposed challenge really doesn't make any case for or against this suggestion.