PokeMMO OU Teambuilding Lab

The PokeMMO OU Teambuilding Lab

ODjkYZV.png

Hello, everyone. Throughout our time in OU, we have noticed that many newer players struggle to build effective teams. In an effort to rectify that, we will join forces with several experienced OU players to host the OverUsed Teambuilding Lab. Here, users can post Pokemon sets or cores that they would like the Lab staff to build a team around. The Lab staff may then reply with their team and the team building process they used so that the client can see our thought processes, and, as a result, better develop their ability to build their own teams in the future.

Also, in an effort to improve all of us and get some quality discussion for the thread, we're going to propose that you guys take the builds we create, play around 5 games on the ladder with them at a decent rank, and if you aren´t pleased come back here to talk about how to expand your teambuilding from there. Sample teams are to be collected in the PokeMMO Teambuilding Megathread.

Rules:

• Have a one-paragraph description (3-4 lines should suffice) with the set or core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
  • Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people about what is good in the meta and how to build effective teams. If you're requesting a core, make sure that you provide good reasoning as to why that core is worth building around in the current metagame. Even if only one Pokemon is to be built around, it must be viable enough in the current metagame to warrant receiving the time and effort of our staff. We reserve the right to decline any request that we do not feel meets the Lab's quality standards.
  • Each user is allowed one request per week. If any user is found requesting multiple teams within that timeframe, the offending posts will be deleted and the user may see further punishment.
  • Please remember that these teams are first drafts and, as such, will not be perfect. Edit them as you please. That being said, builders must be willing to take constructive criticism regarding their teams and those who point out the flaws of a builder's team should contribute to the team's improvement in a constructive manner so that the builders and the clients can grow as players.
  • Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or for being unable to build around something themselves.
  • On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post the changes or critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
  • However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here.
  • If people didn´t find the time to build something for you yet, please be patient. We have less active comp players than smogon, so things might take their time.

Host:

Zymogen

Current Builders:

jfk

kiwikidd

Edited by DrButler
On 1/26/2019 at 5:59 PM, DrButler said:

However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here

@drdray I think ur post falls more or less under this category, so you would be better off making a new RMT under competitive assistance

Six (or five/four with supporting Pokémon(s)) offensive mix attackers.

That can either boost themselves or simply are just strong enough to wall break.

I already have a team like that but

I want to know what might be the other options that other experienced players would think of.

Since you asked for an example of a moveset:

“These might affect your thought process so maybe don’t look at them right away”

Spoiler

Superpower - Fire blast - X - Work Up

DD - Flamethrower - X - X

Nasty P - Close Combat - X - X

Psyshock - Scald - X - X

Thanks!

Edited by MHkaserz

Hi,

I'd like to build a sand team. Also, here is my CURRENT team (first attempt) Hydreigon, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Volcarona and Salamence.

I would like to keep Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, and POSSIBLY Conkeldurr in my sand team, although really the ONLY one I would absolutely keep is Hydreigon.

I was thinking Tyranitar, Excadrill (use of sandstorm), Hydreigon, Conkeldur, Ferrothorn + 1, but I feel like using Ttar and Excadrill is awkward as they share weaknesses.

What do you guys think? As much feedback as possible would be appreciated as I really would like to learn as much as possible :)

Thanks,

crbox ~

2 hours ago, crbox said:

Hi,

I'd like to build a sand team. Also, here is my CURRENT team (first attempt) Hydreigon, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Volcarona and Salamence.

I would like to keep Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, and POSSIBLY Conkeldurr in my sand team, although really the ONLY one I would absolutely keep is Hydreigon.

I was thinking Tyranitar, Excadrill (use of sandstorm), Hydreigon, Conkeldur, Ferrothorn + 1, but I feel like using Ttar and Excadrill is awkward as they share weaknesses.

What do you guys think? As much feedback as possible would be appreciated as I really would like to learn as much as possible :)

Thanks,

crbox ~

I figured I'd take a shot at building a sand team in the current meta. I tried to make it have some unique features to make it stand out from other sand teams that have been made before.

https://pokepast.es/1d433f1789fb2e9d -> the team

_______________________________________________________________________________________

So you wanted to keep hydreigon, so that was my starting point for the team. I'm no expert on hydreigon sets, so this set can probably be changed if you would like. Focus blast allows you to 2hko blissey with rocks up and kill stuff like porygon2/tyranitar that are able to survive specs dragon pulse easily. U-turn is for momentum vs chansey, since odds are, you won't be able to kill it normally.

Next up is the sand component of the team. I wanted tyranitar as the sand setter because it has more offensive potential and has some unique switch in opportunities as well, compared to hippowdon. Fire blast can be used to nail steel types and breloom on the switch. Stealth rock because every good team has rocks. I debated if I wanted crunch or not on the tyranitar, since I wasn't running dark pulse on hydreigon. Without dark pulse on hydreigon, I figured reuniclus might get too annoying, so I stuck with crunch, and added stone edge to round out the coverage and the ability to ko togekiss. The ev spread is slightly random, but it does give you speed to outspeed blissey, bulk to live a +2 aura sphere from togekiss, and enough attack to deal out some damage.

I saw another team posted here with chople berry excadrill and I liked that idea, so I went with it here. Chople berry serves one primary purpose, which is to let excadrill survive a mach punch from conkeldurr and then ko with a +2 earthquake. Chople also helps with the special lucario matchup, as excadrill can live a +2 life orb vacuum wave with chople. 

After adding the first 3 pokemon and seeing they are all weak to fighting, and knowing that sand teams are often weak to rain, I decided to go with a slightly unorthodox choice of slowbro. Slowbro is one of the bulkiest physical walls available still and gives you answers to physical lucario, mamoswine, conkeldurr, and kabutops. Scald and thunder wave try to limit what is willing to come in vs slowbro, and psyshock is just to have some offensive capabilities vs blissey, conkeldurr, breloom, and tentacruel.

At this point, I felt the team was quite weak to scizor and excadrill was being completely walled by skarmory, so magnezone seemed like the next logical choice. Scarf magnezone gives the team some speed and will hopefully remove scizor and/or skarmory. Magnezone is also the primary switch in to bulky waters and togekiss.

I was looking over the team and realized it was still fairly weak to fighting and had some potential flaws vs scizor still, so I went with salamence. Originally, I was going to do a special attacking defog roost salamence, but I think the physical dragon dance set takes advantage of the team more. Magnezone is able to trap skarmory and allow salamence to do severe damage. Roost seemed like an interesting option, as it let salamence switch into attacks a little more carefree and not have to worry about stealth rock damage as much. If skarmory is trapped, then dragon claw and earthquake have perfect coverage for everything else. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

As for flaws of the team, there are a few that came to mind that I haven't tried to adapt to yet.

First is shed shell skarmory. It will evade magnezone trapping and thus will stick around all game to wall both excadrill and salamence. There are a few ways to remedy this. One way would be to drop roost on salamence for a fire move to threaten skarmory more. Another option would be to run a knock off user on the team that can bait skarmory to come in and remove its shed shell so that magnezone can trap it. This is more difficult because nothing on the team learns knock off, so a pokemon change would be needed.

The second flaw would be bulky waters. Milotic is very annoying for the team as it is not prone to being trapped and has recovery, which makes it difficult to wear down. Milotic is able to switch in on salamence, slowbro, excadrill, and tyranitar. Remedies for this would be to add toxic on slowbro over thunder wave, so that if milotic comes in vs slowbro, it will be put on a timer and be easier to wear down. This is a double-edged sword since it will make salamence/excadrill do less damage to milotic as well. Another option is to make either salamence or excadrill life orb sets. +2 earthquake from life orb excadrill will ohko milotic, but will make you worse vs conkeldurr. +1 life orb dragon claw from salamence will put milotic in range of being killed off by an excadrill earthquake.

16 hours ago, BurntZebra said:
Spoiler

I figured I'd take a shot at building a sand team in the current meta. I tried to make it have some unique features to make it stand out from other sand teams that have been made before.

https://pokepast.es/1d433f1789fb2e9d -> the team

_______________________________________________________________________________________

So you wanted to keep hydreigon, so that was my starting point for the team. I'm no expert on hydreigon sets, so this set can probably be changed if you would like. Focus blast allows you to 2hko blissey with rocks up and kill stuff like porygon2/tyranitar that are able to survive specs dragon pulse easily. U-turn is for momentum vs chansey, since odds are, you won't be able to kill it normally.

Next up is the sand component of the team. I wanted tyranitar as the sand setter because it has more offensive potential and has some unique switch in opportunities as well, compared to hippowdon. Fire blast can be used to nail steel types and breloom on the switch. Stealth rock because every good team has rocks. I debated if I wanted crunch or not on the tyranitar, since I wasn't running dark pulse on hydreigon. Without dark pulse on hydreigon, I figured reuniclus might get too annoying, so I stuck with crunch, and added stone edge to round out the coverage and the ability to ko togekiss. The ev spread is slightly random, but it does give you speed to outspeed blissey, bulk to live a +2 aura sphere from togekiss, and enough attack to deal out some damage.

I saw another team posted here with chople berry excadrill and I liked that idea, so I went with it here. Chople berry serves one primary purpose, which is to let excadrill survive a mach punch from conkeldurr and then ko with a +2 earthquake. Chople also helps with the special lucario matchup, as excadrill can live a +2 life orb vacuum wave with chople. 

After adding the first 3 pokemon and seeing they are all weak to fighting, and knowing that sand teams are often weak to rain, I decided to go with a slightly unorthodox choice of slowbro. Slowbro is one of the bulkiest physical walls available still and gives you answers to physical lucario, mamoswine, conkeldurr, and kabutops. Scald and thunder wave try to limit what is willing to come in vs slowbro, and psyshock is just to have some offensive capabilities vs blissey, conkeldurr, breloom, and tentacruel.

At this point, I felt the team was quite weak to scizor and excadrill was being completely walled by skarmory, so magnezone seemed like the next logical choice. Scarf magnezone gives the team some speed and will hopefully remove scizor and/or skarmory. Magnezone is also the primary switch in to bulky waters and togekiss.

I was looking over the team and realized it was still fairly weak to fighting and had some potential flaws vs scizor still, so I went with salamence. Originally, I was going to do a special attacking defog roost salamence, but I think the physical dragon dance set takes advantage of the team more. Magnezone is able to trap skarmory and allow salamence to do severe damage. Roost seemed like an interesting option, as it let salamence switch into attacks a little more carefree and not have to worry about stealth rock damage as much. If skarmory is trapped, then dragon claw and earthquake have perfect coverage for everything else. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

As for flaws of the team, there are a few that came to mind that I haven't tried to adapt to yet.

First is shed shell skarmory. It will evade magnezone trapping and thus will stick around all game to wall both excadrill and salamence. There are a few ways to remedy this. One way would be to drop roost on salamence for a fire move to threaten skarmory more. Another option would be to run a knock off user on the team that can bait skarmory to come in and remove its shed shell so that magnezone can trap it. This is more difficult because nothing on the team learns knock off, so a pokemon change would be needed.

The second flaw would be bulky waters. Milotic is very annoying for the team as it is not prone to being trapped and has recovery, which makes it difficult to wear down. Milotic is able to switch in on salamence, slowbro, excadrill, and tyranitar. Remedies for this would be to add toxic on slowbro over thunder wave, so that if milotic comes in vs slowbro, it will be put on a timer and be easier to wear down. This is a double-edged sword since it will make salamence/excadrill do less damage to milotic as well. Another option is to make either salamence or excadrill life orb sets. +2 earthquake from life orb excadrill will ohko milotic, but will make you worse vs conkeldurr. +1 life orb dragon claw from salamence will put milotic in range of being killed off by an excadrill earthquake.

Thank you for such an amazing, in-depth, insightful answer, really amazing.

I was kind of in a rush to try this out so I built this before I saw your answer, which happens to not work out as well as my previous comp (which I realize now was pretty good).

So I mixed both of them and I'd like your input, here's my thought process:

Hydreigon

Jellicent

Ferrothorn

Conkeldurr

Tyranitar

Excadrill

now this is my first attempts at building teams. I've never played pokemon competitively so I'm really open to all input guys. I did, however, compete in Starcraft 2 and Starcraft Brood War and understand basic strategy in games of all kinds.

Reasons why it's not currently working:

Lot of physical walls that counter ttar, that I don't have an answer. Fighting OWNS me, as you pointed in your post. Yeah Ferrothorn is AWESOME and with leech seed, can win forced 1v1 scenarios like no other, but you have to take care of those pesky fire moves or strong fighting STABs first.

Weirdly enough, U-turn and Aquat Jet, or even Bullet Punch has given me lots of trouble. Basically any priority move. I got farmed by a Cloyster Shell Smash with the item that lets it prevent 1hko. Actually a nice build I might copy.

So Ice, Fighting, and just lack of damage mitigation / redirect / absorb brought me to Jellicent. I actually bred a Reuniclus and tried to run taht and, although the Pokemon is amazing, it didn't fit.

Perhaps I should replace (my far than perfect IV) Conk for something else? Maybe Jellicent for Slowbro and conk for Chandelure or Gengar? I kind of like Chandelure but I read he's impaired by the sand storm.

Any thoughts moving forward?

46 minutes ago, crbox said:

Fighting OWNS me

I am currently trying out a similar build to the one Zebra proposed: hippo, ttar, exca, ferro, slowbro, magnezone. I agree that slowbro does a tremendous job dealing with fighting types, but if it ever dies, fighting priority destroys the team. The biggest problem after fighting priority is definitely bulky water and any other type of priority move, I agree a 100%. Honestly, it might be worth to drop excadrill, although it is quite incredible. However, it just needs so much support: First of all, we need a sand setter that cannot be sacrificied. Second of all, it basically forces magnezone onto the team as there is no other way to deal with skarm and occasionally ferro. This means that, including excadrill, we have 3 fighting weak pokemon on the team right from the start. I am not sure if that is really the way to go, regarding the omnipresence of conkeldurr. With that being said, I think that a few mons are fulfilling their respected roles very well and should not be suspect to change, regardless of excadrill being part of the team or not. These include TTar, ferro and (imo) slowbro (EDIT: reuniculus might do even better, have to test first). Unfortunately, I cannot propose a definitive way out of this team building problem, but for now I would suggest the following:

1. IF excadrill is included, or as @crbox clearly stated a hydreigon, I think another fighting resist is mandatory. Salamence might be able to fulfill this role. If you intend to use both hydreigon and Salamence, as Zebra showed in his team, Magnezone also presents itself as an ideal teammate, as it traps the steel types that wall all dragons (and also exca). However, if u go this route, the team is basically already set in stone, with sand setter + 2 dragons + magnezone + steel type + 2. fighting resist, leaving no room to patch up the other problems of the team (and by the way, the team would look exactly like the one Zebra posted, which is quite incredible given that its build from scratch without any testing whatsoever).

2. I also had severe problems against volcarona. Ferrothorn presents an ideal opportunity to switch in if rocks are not on the field already, and after +1it wrecks the team @crbox posted, my team and, although to a lesser extend, @BurntZebra team ( forgive me if i am mistaken). Thus, we need a mon that can safely deal with volcarona. It is generally hard to find such mons, so one solution might be to change the nature and ev`s of ttar in order to safely tank a +1 bug buzz and ohko with stone edge. In this case, we do not limit ourself to another mon just to counter a single thread.

3. The team needs another mon to break bulky water types. I used breloom a lot, if ground types are dealt with magnezone also gets this job done. I am pretty sure that chip damage over the course of the battle helps tremendously as well, if you are able to keep up the pressure to prevent recovery. Still, I feel that this is one of the harder tasks of team, maybe someone who runs a similar team and doesnt have a problem can share his wisdom. 

4. the team needs 1 priority user. Conkeldurr looks very promising in my opinion, I will test it soon.

This is my personal opinion on the weaknesses of the team. Unfortunately, I am not able to give specific recommendations which mons should be used to solve each weakness. If anyone has recommendations I am just as interested as the OP. My feeling is that, if I am willing to give up excadrill, I open up a lot more space for creativity, but of course at the same time break away from the standart  (strong) core of sand.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:43 AM, crbox said:

Hydreigon

Jellicent

Ferrothorn

Conkeldurr

Tyranitar

Excadrill

Well, since no one bothered to answer me I’ll share my opinion with a fellow player.

Just like you mentioned, at team preview anyone would look at your team and think

“I kill Jellicent and spam Close Combat” or something similar and it’ll work out for them.

Jellicent keeps rain teams and fighting mons from freely ending you..

Your counter measure to low hp boosted Pokémons is Durr.

Your late game depends on Ttar and Exca.

Ferro fills the role of tank/setter.

The problem lies in your revenge killer, Hydregion is amazing, just doesn’t fit as a revenge killer in this team.

Since a revenge killer not only has to outspeed enemies and hit hard, but preferably doesn’t allow free attacks. (Shares weaknesses with the rest of the team)

As in,

He can’t revenge kill vs a faster/priority fighting attacker and if he is revenge killing for Jellicent you’re probably in a bad spot.

So, mons that may help here are:

Starmie, Altaria, Weezing (for more of a supportive role)

Chandileur is also a possibility, but given you’re trying to avoid dealing with rocks head on, it isn’t as good.

I think Weezing with Clear smog, Fire Blast, Thunder and Dark Pulse could be an interesting addition to the team.

Though, Giga Drain Volcarona runs through the team or makes a big dent in it.

A well played Agility Blaizken also rapes here, but you won’t see anyone but me running that xD 

All and all this is what I came up with.. A Weezing 

Edited by MHkaserz
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm building a balanced team focused in stall a little,

At this moment I have 

Breloom (careful nature) + Drain Punch - Protect - Leech Seed and Spore

Gengar (Life orb)

Skarmory

Blastoise

Cloyster (Shell smash - Jolly)

Umbreon (Wish/Foul Play/Toxic/Protect)

I need a revenge killer though, maybe removing cloyster and putting someone else. Also, I'm thinking on Tentacruel as a spinner and Toxic Spikes support. Skarmory has stealth rock instead of spikes. Someone can help me? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've never tried PvP but am really interested in it.

The thing is, I can't really decide on what team I want to get into PvP with. I'm a 5v maniac, so I'm pretty afraid of spending resources on what may end up mediocre. I'm glad that this thread exists so I may get great advices from actual competitive players.
The mon I want to build around are Porygon2 and Salamence.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite (Sassy Nature)

EVs: 244 HP 60 Def 204 Sp.Def

Ability: Download

Recover

Thunder Wave

Ice Beam

Return

someone in the korean pokemmo forums posted this set, and though hybrid porygon seemed mediocre to me at first, the numbers he provided really intrigued me, as this set, whilst enduring many attacks, poses much threat against special attackers like volcarona, jolteon, starmie etc. with +1 atk Return. I really want to try this out.

I also happen to have a naive 6v Salamence(I was so obsessed XD), and would like to make some use of it. ddance set is what i'm thinking, and maybe work around hydro pump to go through hippowdon.

Thanks for your time in advance!

Ok so I tried to build a team around Porygon2 and Mixed Salamence. First of all, I want to congratulate you to your decision to use these two. Although, I cannot really see the synergy between them, they are both very good Pokemon individually. Before I go into detail, I also want to mention that I am not a big fan of return porygon2. You mention that return is mainly used to deal great damage to special attackers such as volcarona, but I argue that Thunder wave is already enough to stop set up users. Additionally, vs starmie and other water types Thunderbolt or Discharge is a far better choice. Especially Gyarados fears nothing from return and can avoid Twave with substitute. The reason why I mention Gyara is that the team I build greatly appreciates a solid Gyara counter, and Porygon2 with Trace (covers intimidate) and Tbolt provides just that. Trace is further advantages, as it allows you to trap dugtrio and to play with immunities such as Volt absorb or Water absorb. But without further ado, lets start:

the starting point is of course Porygon2, which is indeed a great mon .

The set I advocate:

Porygon2 @Eviolite

Sassy 244 HP / 60 Def / 204 SpDef

Thunderwave

Recover

icebeam

Thunderbolt

your set:

Porygon2 @Eviolite

Sassy 244 HP / 60 Def / 204 SpDef

Thunderwave

Recover

icebeam

Return

It can handle a large variety of mons and is extremely hard to break without fighting types or multiple entry hazards. Among others, it is a solid switch into mixMence, cloyster, and can occasionally even stall rain turns vs specs Kingdra. 

Calculations:

Spoiler

Kingdra cannot break pory2 as long as pory2 does not have to switch in:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 199-235 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Salamence:

192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 133-156 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 105-125 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

Cloyster:

Shellsmash:

+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 230-275 (61.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Weaknesses are quickly identified: Fighting Types. The most noteworthy are Lucario, Conkeldurr, Breloom, Mienshao.

Additionally, Blissey, Chansey and Magnezone wall pory2 into oblivion, especially the (lately more common, I use it myself) substitute set uses pory2 as set up fodder. Mamoswine can kill with EQ + superpower and Gliscor can OHKO after Swordsdance. Porygon2 also doesnt appreciate entry hazards (who does?) as it has to carry eviolite and cannot access leftovers. It is also quite weak to rain, as it cannot reliably switch into kingdra and absolutely not into kabutops.

Calculations:

Spoiler

Gliscor:

boosted:

+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 324-382 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Mamoswine:

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 146-173 (39.1 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Superpower vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 234-276 (62.7 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kabutops:

boosted:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 352-415 (94.3 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 292-344 (78.2 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

unboosted:

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Superpower vs. 248 HP / 60 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 234-278 (62.7 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It appears that Tentacruel is ideal support for porygon2 ( I think that Pory2 + Tentacruel can indeed be considered as a defensive Core). Tentacruel is a realiable switch in to all fighting types except facade/thunderpunch conkeldurr and can spin away/absorb hazards. It further offers additional switches into Scizor and Volcarona, as well as some water types.

Tentacruel @Blacksludge

Timid 236Hp / 160Def / 112 Spe

Scald

icebeam

Rapid Spin

Toxic

I opted for timid + 112 speed to outspeed timid Togekiss and other 80 base speed+ mons as well as 95 speed mons. Defensive Tenta is no reliable switch into Togekiss, by all means, but this set may allow you to pick it off if it is weakened. It also allows you to outspeed adamant gliscor by 1 point and OHKO , which can definitely net some surprise kills. I choose Defensive Tentacruel over Specially Defensive Tenta, as this is supposed to switch into fighting attacks, which are mostly physical

Now we take a look at the offensive side of the spectrum.  You already have a 6x31 Salamence, thus a mixed set makes a lot of sense: 

Salamance @LifeOrb

Naive 64 atk / 192 Spatk / 252 Speed

Draco meteor

Dragon Dance

Dragon Claw

Flamethrower

Dragon Dance may seem odd, however 1. you wanted to use it, 2. it may bluff that you are not mixed but physical. This lures in physical walls which you can then kill with flamethrower (for Ferro, Skarmory) or Dracometeor (Cofa lol and literally any other physical wall except pory2). I advise you to invest fully in speed to outspeed Hydreigon and to tie with other base 100s such as Voclarona and opposing Sala. Another choice you could make is to use Brick Break over Dragon Claw ( @Havsha yes I listen to you). Brick Break looks interesting as double screen Hyper Offense gets more common, but its mainly used to break Tyranitar which is a common switch into MixMence ( BB cant even break chansey). Nothing more to say, MixMence is awesome and with DDance it can even clean up lategame.

Calculations:

Spoiler

Brick Break:

vs choice band / scarf

64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Brick Break vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 354-421 (91.7 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

vs chople (noone really runs this, although its great)

64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyranitar: 177-211 (43.8 - 52.2%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO

vs chansey

64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 252-299 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Cofa:

192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cofagrigus: 242-285 (75.8 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn:

you might wanna consider fire blast because of this, but I hate missing and some ppl do not even run spdefferro

192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn: 307-364 (87.2 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Skarmory:

192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Flamethrower vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 294-346 (89.9 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Chansey:

+1 64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 304-359 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

Tenta:

Defensive

192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 216-255 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 244 Def Tentacruel: 160-188 (44 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Special defensive

64 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel: 218-257 (60 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

I think that Scizor pairs well with Sala, as it greatly appreciates physical walls being eliminated. It provides useful resistances and is overall just a good mon. Its access to priority allows it to OHKO Gengar, one of the more common mons that would threated this team otherwise (Scizor is also amazing vs Reuni, which never hurts). Priority allows you to revenge kill a plethora of other frail or weakened pokemon as well.
In my opinion, you have two different sets you can choose from: you can go off- meta and use Acro Scizor or stick to standart Choice Band Scizor. Let`s stick to CB for now:

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant 248 HP / 252 ATK / 8 SPdef
Bullet Punch
U- Turn
Pursuit
Superpower

The EV spread and moveset is the gold standart and I see no reason to change it. If you want to Acro Scizor; I personally only ever used it with Jolly nature and full speed investment. Literally, no one else uses that so I would not advise you to breed it.

Now for the fifth slot I decided to go for a support Tyranitar. So far this team lacks both entry hazards and weather control, and TTar provides both. It also features amazing stats and a great movepool, which we will abuse to our advantage. As I said, Scizor greatly appreciates physical walls being gone, and we will further build on this by using Ttar as a lure, similar to Salamence:

Tyranitar @Chople Berry or Leftovers
Brave 252Hp / 88Atk / 168 SpDef
Stealth Rock
Flamethrower
pursuit
Stone Edge

With chople, you can safely switch into Togekiss everytime, regardless of its set. Further, it can trap gengar / reuni without being afraid of Focus Blast (Note that chip is needed even for gengar. This is definetly a weakness of the mixed set). Pursuit can also come in clutch to weaken certain special walls such as Blissey if they switch. Flamethrower allows you to kill the steel types we want to lure in. Again, Fire Blast might be better, but I hate misses. The spread also allows you to switch into Volcarona as long as no hazards are on the field.

Calculations:
Defensive:
Spoiler

Gengar
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar in Sand: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Reuniculus
0 SpA Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar in Sand: 120-142 (29.7 - 35.1%) -- 16.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Chople Berry Tyranitar in Sand: 205-244 (50.7 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Conkeldurr:
252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyranitar: 182-218 (45 - 53.9%) -- 37.5% chance to 2HKO

Voclarona
52 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 221-265 (54.7 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 335-398 (82.9 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Calculations
Offensive:
Spoiler

Gengar
88+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 200-236 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Black Sludge recovery

Reuni
88+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 116-138 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- 57.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferro
0 SpA Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 196-232 (55.6 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Skarmory
0 SpA Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 170-200 (51.9 - 61.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lastly, I decided to go for Conkeldurr. Again, Conk greatly appreciates all physical walls being removed from the game. Additionally it carries Priority which is clutch vs  offensive teams. The number of Pokemon it threatens with mach punch alone is ridiculous and it stops many common setup sweers such as cloyster and lucario. Additionally it deals with all weather sweepers except Kingdra, which is sweet, as this team is still kinda rain weak. Before I decided to go with Conk, I considered Ferro to patch up the rain weakness, however I did not like how weak the team would be to fighting types and more offensive teams. I think that Conks Priority and natural bulk patches this weakness up quite nicely.

Conkeldurr @Flame orb

Adamant 252hp / 252 Atk /4 spe

Mach Punch

Ice Punch

Facade

Drain Punch

A while back Facade + Stone edge was the most common set, but I think with the rise of Bold Salamence this changed and now it is Ice puch > SE. Facade allows you to hit everything very hard except ghosts.

Before I finish, I want to give my opinion on the general gameplan with this team. If I did not make that clear enough, the idea is to lure in all physical walls with salamence and TTar to clear the path for scizor or Conkeldurr in the late game. In some games, Salamence will also be more of a cleaner than a breaker. Porygon2 + Tentacruel should provide the Defensive Backpone to comfortably switch into a majority of the Metagame. One problem I see with this team beside rain, is that Tenta lacks recovery besides Black Sludge. Thus repeated switches, especially with entry hazards on the field, will prove problematic. Thus, it is important to keep the momentum on your side. As we pack Scizor and are overall on the more offensive spectrum of Balance, this should be possible though. We also rely fully on priority to beat faster threads, as we have not a single choice scarfer. Thus it is mandatory to keep conk alive if you can identify for example a scarf Hydreigon.

1zmlf7d.jpg

And thats it, have fun, further suggestions are of course appreciated.

In your pm you wrote me that you prefer a more offensive approach, however in case you want to switch things up and play more defensively, switch out scizor for ferrothorn and mixedMence for BoldMence: I would recommand the following sets:

Salamence @Leftovers

Bold 252Hp / 252Def

Draco Meteor

Flamethrower

Roost

Defog

This gives you even more hazard control and additional security vs fighting types and physical attackers of all kind. It is the standart defensive set for salamence right now.

Ferrothorn @Leftovers / Shed Shell 

Sassy 252HP 24Def 232 Spdef

Powerwhip

Gyro Ball

Spikes

Leech Seed

This is my favorite Ferro set and it is also very standart. Ferro will perform amazing vs rain and gives you a lot more hazard pressure. I prefer lefties over shed shell, with team preview magnezone is not that much of a thread anymore and the recovery is very very helpful. 

I personally think that the defensive variant of the team can be regarded as highly competitive and might perform better than the offensive one, but thats just my opinion. (Note that "offensive" means balance in this setting and "defensive" is basically full stall)

Edited by jfk
gave further options on tweaking the team towards stall
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I want to run a Scizor Gyarados core Team. The sets I want to use are: 

Life Orb Adamant Roost SD BP and Bug bite . I have thought of replacing BB with U turn since it looks useful in many situations, but since +2 Life Orb BB does really hurt I'm not so sure what to do.

Leftovers Jolly DD Waterfall Taunt Ice Fang. This to set up without getting ToXic or Roar and with a spread to outspeed and ko jolteon with 1 DD. Ice Fang to deal with dragons and KO ir 2hko some of them if they have no bulk investment.

Thanks in advance

sorry, I am currently very busy, thus I will not go into detail on each set and only post a somewhat generic team that is maybe already used by someone ( I used the exact same build except I went with Lucario/CB SCizor over SD Scizor). Maybe someone else can build something original in the meantime.

But right from the start, I would recommend stone edge on gyarados over ice fang. Just like ice fang, Stone edge allows you to hit the most common dragons Dragonite and Salamence, but additionally, it lets you hit pelipper, togekiss (harder), opposing gyara and other water types. It also does not make contact, but that is just a minor point. 

on SD scizor i think bug bite > u turn makes a lot of sense, imo.

Overall, I am not sure why scizor + gyara should form a strong offensive core, as water, steel and bug moves do not break very well for each other. However, they are both really popular in a certain archetype called Hyper Offense. Hyper Offense is currently highly competitive and viable in our meta game, so instead of providing you with a full build I can give you a concept for HO:

1. suicide lead

2. & 3. wallbreaker

4. 5. & 6. Set up Sweeper

Unfortunately, the OU teambuilding compendium ( a great ressource) does not display images anymore and is thus trashed, so ill write some on my own (not a complete list obviously)

1. suicide lead: Dual screens or Spike stacking

The most commonly used dual screens lead is 

Electrode @lightclay

Timid/ Jolly 252Hp 252Speed

Taunt

Reflect

Light Screen

Volt switch / Explosion

Spike stacking: 

Skarmory @Custap berry

Jolly 252atk 252speed

taunt

bravebird

stealth rock

spikes

Smeargle @focus sash

whirlwind / taunt / endeavor

spore

spikes

stealth rock

Others include Aerodactyle or Froslass, but they are less common. Smeargle is also not common but still very good. For the sake of building a team lets go with Electrode. In Case you go for the spike Variant, make sure you include a Ghost type and another taunt user on your team!

2. & 3. Wallbreaker:

The most notorious ones are probably Togekiss, Conkeldurr and Breloom right now. Taunt Hydreigon, Gliscor are a little less common lately but fit the bill perfectly as well. I would refrain from using Reuniculus to break, as it is simply to slow and the Trick Room Variant would screw over the rest of your team. Lets say we go with togekiss + breloom:

Togekiss @Leftovers

timid 252HP 252 Speed

Air slash

Roost

Heal bell / substitute / aura sphere

nasty plot

If you encounter pure stall, Togekiss is usually an auto -win. I chose the timid variant over the fully defensive one, as this team is all about momentum and during my own games I felt that Bold is too slow and thus useless in certain matchups.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb

Jolly 252 Atk 252 Speed

Spore

Stone Edge

Super Power

Seed Bomb

There are many variants of Breloom out there such as Sub Punch for example. This one focuses on speed and doesnt waste time with subs. Spore is extremely disruptive and can win games on its own. Stone edge allows you to hit some common switch ins such as Chandelure, Pelipper or Gengar.

4. 5. & 6. Set Up Sweeper:

You want to use Scizor + Gyara, so we need one more. We could go for Salamence, Dragonite, Cloyster, physical lucario or special lucario to name a few. On this team I dont like the Dragons as it makes us very weak to Ice Shard Priority. Cloyster could be really cool. Usually it cannot sweep straight away though and needs a lot of support. Maybe Volcarona could work (probs works better with a taunt user on the team to prevent rocks):

Volcarona @Life Orb

Timid 252spatk 252Speed

Giga Drain

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

Fiery Dance

If I have more time Ill edit this post and provide an explanation why I chose every mon individually, but for now let me just say this: Every single Pokemon on the team is able to sweep unprepared teams on its own behind dual screens. Your challenge is to identify which mon will sweep at the beginning of the game and adapt your playstyle accordingly. your win condition should never take unnecessary damage!

So here is your final team

electrode.gifbreloom.giftogekiss.gifgyarados.gifscizor.gifvolcarona.gif

Flaws of this team: No way to stop Volt Switches and very weak to stealth rock. 

Edited by jfk
more info

Hey man, thanks for your suggestion I wasn't expecting a HO team but it seems quite interesting.

Some doubts I have are:

This team can deal with rain teams? I think it can handle sand teams but I see rain teams being a pain in the ass to deal with. Would it be a good idea to replace gyarados with Scarf TTar to try to handle this? I know this may result in changing some of the other pokemon as well.

In case I decide to run the Skarmory lead I see Gengar as a good choice to cover for Rapid Spin, what I find hard to decide is the proper moveset. Sludge bomb, shadowball, destiny bond and taunt or is there anything more useful?

Is it a good idea to add a support or make togekiss a support with wish over roost? which are the advantages and disadvantages?

Sorry if I ask too much I'm really new to this metagame 

Ok. so vs rain, i think tour mach up is maybe 40 / 60 in favor of rain. Rain excells vs offense as it is able to outspeed most threads, however your double screens give you a huge advantage. As soon as you got momentum you should be able to win (still i think well played rain is favoured probably 60 to 40).

I dont think scarf ttar fits the core of life orb gyara + life orb scizor welll. You can still make use of both gyara and scizor, but i would suggest more defensive variants and move the entire team more towards balance.

In case you wanna go with lead skarm, gengar is infact a great partner. The  best sets a pro probably either focusblast + shadowball + substite + disable or ""Subsitute + painsplit. I personally am no fan of destiny  bond. Instead i would use hp fire + protect over destiny bond to deal with sczior switch ins. If you opt for a more balanced team cofagrigus or jellicent can prove as exceptional spin blockers (but gengar is #1 for offensive teams).

regarding your question on support: wish is usually not very powerful on hyper offense as your not gonna switch to much. Healing wish would prove much more useful. Given the team i suggested i think togekiss should not be viewed as support but more as a wall breaker. Nasty plot + air slash should break most defensive cores and healbell/ substitute ensures that you don't get poisoned. Hyper offense is a unique playstyle that doesn't care about losing pokemon as long as one (literally on single mon) is able to win the entire game. Hence, support is less of an issue, the bigger question is: can you break any defensive pokemon in the game.

More specifically: roost is immediate heal that eliminates your ice and electric weakness, while wish is more of a supportive move that normally requires protect as an additional move slot, As your move slots are very limited on togekiss, i would opt for roost.

additional note: rain is at about 15% usage, so even if u are only 40% favoured you should be able to retain a positive win/loss ratio as only one out of five opponents will bring rain and you will win 2 out of 5 matches against them. Thus, in 100 matches, 20 will be against rain and you will win 8, so as long as you are favoured against any other playstyle you should be able to climb the ladder quite fast.

PPS: try to watch yeikouchu (hope i got that right) on ladder, he has been in the top ten OU ladder for the past few moths (peaked #1 i think) and used a very similar team, so watching his games should help you improve immensely.

Edited by jfk

Thank you so much for your advice and help with building this team. I will at first try the dual screen set and learn how to play around it. 

Two last questions: 

Since voltorb has volt switch i assume it can help me set screens later on and maybe let me give a free switch to another mon. But in the case of skarmory I guess it is meant to either die or use as bait later right?

In case I decide to go for a spinner should I go for tenta or starmie and get rid of gyara?

definitely go for starmie on such an offensive team, and yes electrode can be very useful later in the game and set up screens multiple times (volt switch can be extremely useful vs rain).

Skarmory is meant to die, setting up as much hazards as possible is usually your top priority. I would only suggest to bravebird against threads like volcarona or conkeldurr if you happen to face them.

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly new to Pokemon yet again competitive. When I started PokeMMO back in 2017 on a friends request I took 2 months completing Kanto->Hoenn and then took a break till 2019. I played it as more like a single player than an MMO collecting diff pokes. With "that" friends help I came to know about EVs IVs natures abilities and their importance. So I started breeding even though it was for gym battles.

With increasing curiosity I ended up in battling with that friend very often and enjoyed a lot. With my little knowledge I have found competitive is basically the ONLY thing that keeps me interested in the whole franchise. To increase my knowledge on the basics I have tried Pokemon Showdown smogon battles, researched type weaknesses, caught different Pokemon in PokeMMO studied some battle tactics of players(my guess is most were bad since my win/loss is around 50/50). I don't even have a fixed team, just swap around and make new changes every now and then based on my recent battles and mood(also don't rely on 31x6 mons. just 25-30ish based on role , sometimes 31x2s +nat on crucial roles), in which my friend helps a lot by suggesting strategies. He never pushed me into copying some1 else's strategy found on the internet neither did he say that my strategy sucked(mostly bcoz he didn't want me to be overwhelmed in the starting phase or at least that's what I think).

t3fDHeo.jpg

But now that I have been doing some matchmakings/Tourneys I figured I am way behind than some seriously good comp TEAMS out there.(Recent loss against Team SIA @Stelian) Also I noticed that there is a pokemon pool of around 20ish among which pple are making their teams with some extras. In my 90% losses I saw same type of strategies like 4 bulks with hazard setters, toxic stallers, damg absorbers, and 2 sweepers(1atk 1spc). 
So, lemme know if there is a "meta" thing going on here where certain pokes and strategies are always better than the rest. And if it is true that to be good you HAVE to make a team around those Pokemon pools and strategies. Coz so far my friend has always taught me that there are "infinite" possibilities and combinations to try in the comp. 

chHbkxm.jpg

From a guy who believed that love n bonding between u and ur team with a pika, zard and others cud win you the world to the harsh/exciting truth of strategy in pokemon, I, have come a long road to quit on my dream to be the very best ^^.

I am NOT asking you to build a team for me BUT to point me a direction on how to think like a pro comp player and how to start building my team and figure out its weaknesses along the way. Also DO give a view on what you think about IVs and nature and how much it affects me or my team if I deviate from 31 to 30 or a nature that's neither hindering nor boosting.

P.S : Should I tryout my ideal team in smogon b4 breeding and training it here to save the investment for a fail team?(Do know that we don't have hidden ability implemented here yet).

Edited by Revato

First of all, great post, great effort, but unfortunately not quite the right thread I guess. Nonetheless:

On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 PM, Revato said:

I am NOT asking you to build a team for me BUT to point me a direction on how to think like a pro comp player and how to start building my team and figure out its weaknesses along the way

There are several threads on this forum to help you with strategy and team building, as well as grasping the meta game. The Smogon forum should prove more useful when it comes to strategy, such as double switching and prediction. 

Spoiler

This one has basically everything:

Out of this post, the most important ones are:

One that I made, and I think is helpful:

And to grasp the metagame:

Regarding Nature and IV`s, I think 2x31 3x25+ is perfectly fine. Nature is an absolute must have. I think it is adviseable to try out a team idea on showdown. Ideally you can practice with a friend under the specific rules of pokemmo. Otherwise, your results may significantly differ due to very different pokemons and mechanics between the different metagames on smogon/showdown and pokemmo.

Lastly, I think your friend was right when he said that there are infinite possibilities. While there definitely is sort of a meta, and some pokemon strictly outperform others, it is unlikely that we have tried out everything. Nonetheless, especially if your resources are scarce, you should disregard (at least for OU) all pokemon not mentioned in the OU compendium by Suigin. It is a very extensive compendium that covers basically everything.

Furthermore, a meta exists to be shifted. Thus, it may prove useful to identify the meta, not in order to follow it, but to counter it. If you want to watch some replays of rather unique teams I suggest you watch tournament replays of gbwead. But there have been others as well who performed well with unique teams. I think a chinese player named kinao was in top 20 of the OU leader board for several month with a spike stacking team + 2 spin blockers + 3 phazers + 3 taunt users. So literally just racking up passive damage for the entire game.

Edited by jfk
forgot viability rankings
13 hours ago, jfk said:

First of all, great post, great effort, but unfortunately not quite the right thread I guess. Nonetheless:

There are several threads on this forum to help you with strategy and team building, as well as grasping the meta game. The Smogon forum should prove more useful when it comes to strategy, such as double switching and prediction. 

Reveal hidden contents

This one has basically everything:

Out of this post, the most important ones are:

One that I made, and I think is helpful:

And to grasp the metagame:

Regarding Nature and IV`s, I think 2x31 3x25+ is perfectly fine. Nature is an absolute must have. I think it is adviseable to try out a team idea on showdown. Ideally you can practice with a friend under the specific rules of pokemmo. Otherwise, your results may significantly differ due to very different pokemons and mechanics between the different metagames on smogon/showdown and pokemmo.

Lastly, I think your friend was right when he said that there are infinite possibilities. While there definitely is sort of a meta, and some pokemon strictly outperform others, it is unlikely that we have tried out everything. Nonetheless, especially if your resources are scarce, you should disregard (at least for OU) all pokemon not mentioned in the OU compendium by Suigin. It is a very extensive compendium that covers basically everything.

Furthermore, a meta exists to be shifted. Thus, it may prove useful to identify the meta, not in order to follow it, but to counter it. If you want to watch some replays of rather unique teams I suggest you watch tournament replays of gbwead. But there have been others as well who performed well with unique teams. I think a chinese player named kinao was in top 20 of the OU leader board for several month with a spike stacking team + 2 spin blockers + 3 phazers + 3 taunt users. So literally just racking up passive damage for the entire game.

Thanks , your words were thoughtful and I appreciate u replied in a constructive way. I AM currently working on some of that as well as will work on the others in the future.

Just a last thing to clarify: If we are doing tournament mode PvP then we are all balanced to level 50s. So, it has come to my notice that the bonus stat boost that an IV gives is in the ratio 2:1, i.e 26IV=+13 to ur overall stat|| 31IV=+15 and similarly from EV to stat its 8:1, i.e 252=+31|| 248=+31. Hence I can conclude that having 30 IV is same as 31 and 248 EV is same as 252 right?