PokeMMO OU Teambuilding Lab

Hi everyone!

This is one of my current comp teams: https://pokepast.es/5b6f30cb4e1b3305. Jolteon actually has HP Ice, and Reuniclus's ability is actually Magic Guard. My bad.

It seems like Hydreigon has become more popular among folks, and I've had a difficult time countering it so far in the 5 ranked games I've played since my return (record is currently 3-2). As a result, I had Milotic relearn ice beam to better counter it, but I haven't tested it out in a game yet. I also feel like Jolteon could be a weak link on my team, but idk. Additionally, I'm open to the idea of modifying Chansey, whether it be changing her moveset or swapping her out for a different wall (Blissey/Cofagrigus?).

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by richboyandrew
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

currently thinking to start comp with a double bug core team.

i would go with Scizor and Volcarona. 

Maybe then starmie for rapid spin and Breloom.

Struggeling which stealth rock setter i just go with and which 6th pokemon could fill the holes the best (i guess a good wall?)

i would be happy to get some feedback / ideas :D

Hi, I'm new to PvP but I want to start.

Right now, I can't decide what team I going to use.
The mon I want to build around are Dragonite and Swampert, but mostly Dragonite because I already invested 5x31 IV on him.

Dragonite / Adamant / 31/31/31/17/31/31 / 252 Atk 252 Speed

Dragon Dance

Dragon Claw

Extreme Speed

Fire Punch

Swampert / Adamant / 23/31/31/14/27/31 / 172 Hp 252 Atk 86 Speed

Earthquake

Waterfall

Hammer Arm

Ice Punch

I have few other mons I made while completing the story mode such as Impish Skarmory, Jolly Arcanine, Timid Jolteon, Jolly Salamence.

If possible can you make a recommendation for completing my team and held items.

Thanks for your time in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

The past 10 posts or so do not qualify for entries in this thread. I have had little time and been off for months, but if people provide valid entries I would try to build something. Please read the description...

@ShadowR6 If you can explain why you think Scizor and Volcarona form a good core, we can give it a shot.

@Aiven Please tell me how swampert and dragonite complement each other, from your point of view. Of course one can build a team that consists of both, but I dont see why exactly those two together are great. From an offensive point: How do they work in tandem to destroy defensive cores? Does one of them act as a lure for the other? What specific mons are you trying to lure in? Or from a defensive point of view: How do they manage to keep the top 10 used mons in check?

@NoNouGatine I have a hard time coming up with ideas, but I agree that it is interesting and appreciate that you hinted at a possible core. It is unclear to me what the purpose of CM Chandelure would be. I dont feel like Trick Room is an option, And even in trick room boosting with CM is too slow. CM Chandelure is too slow for offense too so it fits probably best as a stallbreaker in some kind of balanced/stall team with substitute and pain split - but then you have to decide between shadowball or flamethrower, limiting coverage significantly. In that slot it feels a bit like a worse (less bulky) Reuniculus or worse (less offensive) Gengar. I definitely see a team with painsplit + sub chandelure, I just dont know how to fit CM on it, sorry. 

11 hours ago, jfk said:

@Aiven Please tell me how swampert and dragonite complement each other, from your point of view. Of course one can build a team that consists of both, but I dont see why exactly those two together are great. From an offensive point: How do they work in tandem to destroy defensive cores? Does one of them act as a lure for the other? What specific mons are you trying to lure in? Or from a defensive point of view: How do they manage to keep the top 10 used mons in check?

Actually I was thinking Dragonite and Swampert not because I thought they complement each other. As I said I'm new to PvP, I want to start, I chose those 2 because I like those pokemons. Okay let me change my question. 

Can you suggest me a team around Adamant Dragonite with max speed and attack EV spread ? Right now I have Impish Skarmory, Bold Chansey, and Timid Gengar. With these pokemon I have, can i build a solid team? If not what pokemon should I add/remove?

Thanks!

I think you already have really nice ideas, and the 5 mons you have bred/ want to use will make for a very very solid team already.

Skarm + Chansey is a very old and succesful defensive core. So we start with that:

Skarmory @shed shell

impish

- bravebird

- roost

- spikes

- whirlwind

chansey @eviolite

bold

- seismic toss

- teleport

- toxic

- softboiled

Both sets are standard. Teleport is a great move to scout your opponent. 

As you wanted Dnite and Pert on your team, I guess we will build balance.

Dragonite @Choice Band

adamant

- extreme speed

- fire Punch

- Super Power

- Dragon Claw

You can also go with a dragon dance variant, or if you are willing to rebreed a mixed variant. But I prefer CB due to the immediate power and the very strong e-speed which helps tremedously against Hyper Offense and Rain.

Swampert @leftovers

relaxed

- stealth rock

- ice beam

- scald

- earthquake

We need a rocker and swampert is great at that. It also provides an electric immunity. I prefer ice beam over both yawn and toxic, as I feel that they are too slow. But feel free to try them out instead.

Time for a quick check of what we have and what we need:

2x water resists: Chansey is not a resist, but counts

2x fighting resist: Unchecked, only got dnite

1-2 dragon resists: Only got Skarm, which is shaky against mixed sets. Maybe needs improvement

2x electric resist or 1x immunity: Check

2x ground resists: Check

1x Dark resist: Check

We also still need: A defogger/spinner which ideally synchonizes with Dnite. A stallbreaker ideally with boosting and taunt. A spinblocker. Another dragon resist

You wanted Gengar, well I want Gengar as well. It is a fighting immunity, spinblocker and stallbreaker, ticking almost all boxes left open. You can decide between two sets, I think they are qually viable. Either nasty plot or painsplit:

Gengar @lifeorb or Blacksludge

timid

- nasty plot / painsplit

- substiute

- focus blast

- shadow ball

Lastly we need a defogger or rapid spin user. We could also put defog on skarm instead of spikes or whirlwind. I like Starmie, as it is also pretty fast and good against both sand and rain. Also another check for Conk and you cannot have enough of those.

Starmie @life orb

- rapid spin

- surf

- ice beam

- thunderbolt / psychic

This is a very very standard team and not innovative at all, but it includes all the pokemon you want / already have. And I think it should get you quite far.

8 hours ago, jfk said:

I think you already have really nice ideas, and the 5 mons you have bred/ want to use will make for a very very solid team already.

Skarm + Chansey is a very old and succesful defensive core. So we start with that:

Skarmory @shed shell

impish

- bravebird

- roost

- spikes

- whirlwind

chansey @eviolite

bold

- seismic toss

- teleport

- toxic

- softboiled

Both sets are standard. Teleport is a great move to scout your opponent. 

As you wanted Dnite and Pert on your team, I guess we will build balance.

Dragonite @Choice Band

adamant

- extreme speed

- fire Punch

- Super Power

- Dragon Claw

You can also go with a dragon dance variant, or if you are willing to rebreed a mixed variant. But I prefer CB due to the immediate power and the very strong e-speed which helps tremedously against Hyper Offense and Rain.

Swampert @leftovers

relaxed

- stealth rock

- ice beam

- scald

- earthquake

We need a rocker and swampert is great at that. It also provides an electric immunity. I prefer ice beam over both yawn and toxic, as I feel that they are too slow. But feel free to try them out instead.

Time for a quick check of what we have and what we need:

2x water resists: Chansey is not a resist, but counts

2x fighting resist: Unchecked, only got dnite

1-2 dragon resists: Only got Skarm, which is shaky against mixed sets. Maybe needs improvement

2x electric resist or 1x immunity: Check

2x ground resists: Check

1x Dark resist: Check

We also still need: A defogger/spinner which ideally synchonizes with Dnite. A stallbreaker ideally with boosting and taunt. A spinblocker. Another dragon resist

You wanted Gengar, well I want Gengar as well. It is a fighting immunity, spinblocker and stallbreaker, ticking almost all boxes left open. You can decide between two sets, I think they are qually viable. Either nasty plot or painsplit:

Gengar @lifeorb or Blacksludge

timid

- nasty plot / painsplit

- substiute

- focus blast

- shadow ball

Lastly we need a defogger or rapid spin user. We could also put defog on skarm instead of spikes or whirlwind. I like Starmie, as it is also pretty fast and good against both sand and rain. Also another check for Conk and you cannot have enough of those.

Starmie @life orb

- rapid spin

- surf

- ice beam

- thunderbolt / psychic

This is a very very standard team and not innovative at all, but it includes all the pokemon you want / already have. And I think it should get you quite far.

Dude, thankyou very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Are you still helping with teams? I'm kinda new to pvp so unsure on what sets are good and viable in current meta, would like to start getting involved in pvp now I have reached post game for almost all regions now. I have bred a 5x31 Gengar (missing atk) which is one of my favourite pkm and I'd love to be on the team and my next goal and other favourite pkm will be Umbreon. So my question to your team would be is there a way to make a wicked deadly offensive team but also kinda blocker/cleric role with Umbreon, would love to hear your thoughts. :)

Ok, I have no clue whether this will work or not and it is also relying on baton pass passing substitute. Can someone please confirm that this is how BP currently works? I simply don't know...

I find it very difficult to build hyper offense with umbreon, but I think the team below still packs quite a punch. The idea is to use umbreon and rotom-w as pivots. Protect on umbreon should help to stall some turns against rain, as I think this team would do quite poorly vs rain. The idea of the team is to abuse a fortunate match up for umbreon to set up a substitute and pass it to gengar, conkeldurr or Dragonite. That is also why neither gengar nor Dnite have sub and why dnite can instead use Fire Punch and does not need lum berry. 

Umbreon @leftovers

calm

wish

protect

substitute

baton pass

I think with wish you will mostly heal umbreon itself or rotom-w. Rotom-w is a great pivot but only has unreliable recovery with pain split, wish could really increase it's durability. Protect to scout and stall against rain and to safely get a wish off. Umbreon will serve as a special defensive pivot and status absorb. Biggest Problem: Potentially easy set up fodder, not sure if a safe switch using BP will be enough to get you out of a tricky spot.

Gengar @life orb

timid

Hidden power Fire

nasty plot

focus blast

shadow ball

HP fire to hit scizor on the switch. No need for sub as ideally you get it from umbreon. Never tried this set, might be garbage :)

hippowdon @rocky helmet / leftovers

impish

earthquake

ice fang

stealth rock

slack off

Mainly used to set rocks and change weather. I prefer ice fang over whirlwind to sometimes surprise garchomp, salamence or dnite.

Rotom-W @leftovers

impish

volt switch

hydro pump

willo whisp

pain split

defensive pivot, gives a much needed water and ground resistance. Is equally good vs sand and rain. Benefits greatly from wish support. willo to stop physicial set up without substitute.

Conkeldurr @flame orb

adamant

drainpunch/close combat

mach punch

ice punch

facade

We quite literally need a punch! Conkeldurr is here to break the enemy down, together with gengar in order to allow Dragonite to sweep late game. I have been convinced that drain punch is the superior move, but I think with substitute and wish support close combat could really work out well. The damage is just pooped and will surprise many foes. Mach Punch is great vs all fast sweepers, but it is especially great vs kabutops and excadrill.

Dragonite @life orb/leftovers

adamant

Dragon Dance

dragon claw

extreme speed

fire punch

Clean-up. Extreme speed cleans up weakened threads in the midgame. Pass a substitute and dance twice to sweep late game. Dnite could get chipped away quite heavily by rocks / rocky helmet/ ferrothorn so maybe leftovers is better than life orb.

Not sure if this is what you wanted, but it is all I could come up with. If you are willing to forgo umbreon, I would probably do 2 replacements: Tyranitar > Umbreon and than Swampert (defensive option) or Gliscor (offensive option) > Hippowdown. In that case you also would no longer have wish and baton pass support so I would but substitute on gengar over hp fire and use drain punch on conk.

Another weakness the team has, it that it has no reliable dragon switch in. If you know whether the dragon is a physical or special attacker you should be fine, but mixed sets will be trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Im pretty new to the competitive scene but I want to take my shot on a Rain Team.

I need your suggestions and help on completing my team.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
Drizzle
Defog
U-Turn
Roost
Scald/Hurricane (?)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Sp. Def
IVs: 14 Atk / the rest 31

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
Swift Swim
Ice Beam
Surf
Rain Dance
Dragon Pulse
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
IVs: 9 Atk / the rest 31

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Technician
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Super Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Speed
IVs: 15 Sp. Atk / the rest 31

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Iron Barbs
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp Def / 6 Def
IVs: 11 Sp. Atk / 14 Speed / the rest 31

Salamence @ Life Orb (Mix Mence)
Adamant Nature
Intimidate
Draco Meteor
Outrage
Flame Burst
Earthquake
EVs: 64 Atk / 194 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
IVs: all 31

So in my opinion I need a 6th Pokémon that counters setup moves like Stealth Rock or Spikes with (for example) Rapid Spin. This Pokémon should also be pretty bulky physical defense wise because Pelipper is just a pseudo Physical Wall only to setup and scout mostly. Also I have weaknesses against fighting types. Thats why I was thinking about Hurricane on Pelipper, but Scald burn could be useful too.

I appreciate every suggestion or criticism. You can screw all of my Pokémon if you have a better Rain Team option. I really want to use this Kingdra so Kingdra and Pelipper are gonna be core Mons (?)

• 1 year later...

Hello, i don't know if you still assist players but i would appriciete a help.

My favorite pokemons are Gyarados, Volcarona and Dragonite But i don't mind replacing them because I'm really fed up losing.

So here is the idea, I wanna trap and kill the obstacles one by one, clean the field, than unleash the set up sweepers. I have a team in my mind but i would like to know if i need to replace some of their natures, items,movesets,ev spread Or Pokemons itself. (And does this strategy can be done in current meta or does my idea even makes sense...)

Garchomp@Focus sash/ Choice scarf

nature: not sure, naive/jolly( I have a jolly one now But i can get a naive one)

Stealth rocks/stone edge

Erthquake

Dragon claw/dragon

fire fang/flamethrower

Volcarona@Leftovers

Timid

Quiver dance

Giga drain

Bug Buzz/ Hp ice/Hp rock

Fiery Dance

Magnezone@Expert Belt/Choice Scarf/Leftovers/Life orb

Timid

Volt switch

Thunderbolt/Discharge

Hp fire

Flash Cannon

Gyarados@Leftovers

Jolly

Ice fang/Taunt/Stone edge

Waterfall

Dragon dance

Ice fang/Taunt/Stone edge

Tyranitar@Choice Band

Adamant

Pursuit

Superpower

Stone edge

Crunch

The Tyranitar is for killing special walls such as chansey/blissey. But I if there is a better option i would use it.

And a Defogger- Rapid spinner. I have Starmie and RotomW now but if there is a better option that fits my team better or better for cleaning the field for multiple times in need, I can breed/buy it.

If you see a weakness that should be covered, or can be covered better, I can replace any Pokemon in here.

I feel like i'm weak to Dugtrio. It would trap and kill my Magnezone and Tyranitar with ease.

Edited by MergenHan
  • 1 month later...

Hi, im currently working on building a OU comp team and ive got my first 3 mons and im looking for advice on what other pokemon i should get, ive been told to use blissey as it works well with skarmory but im wondering what else i should implement into this team

My team is currently 

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 19 SpA
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 242 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 20 SpA
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Edited by Barney
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 8:48 PM, Barney said:

Hi, im currently working on building a OU comp team and ive got my first 3 mons and im looking for advice on what other pokemon i should get, ive been told to use blissey as it works well with skarmory but im wondering what else i should implement into this team

My team is currently 

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 19 SpA
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 242 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 20 SpA
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

I'm going to advise you to first have the 5 mons in mind and after that consider his moveset, that way you could avoid situations at the end of the build like "Oh, I see that in this slot Garchomp cband would have been more convenient instead of this one" 'to give an example.

On the other hand... I'm not convinced by a double steel core, have you considered that Magnezone complicates you too much? it's probably more convenient to stick with Scizor and see what to put in Skarmory's slot.