Thoughts on the Lunar event

To me personally, this event feels like a major downgrade and I want to share my thoughts as to why I think it doesn't work nearly as well as the previous one, so I will mostly be comparing it to the Christmas event 2018 since the mechanics and the core idea are very similar. I am aware that there was obviously less time to make this event happen, but it still feels very rushed and lackluster.

Issue 1) The location:

Not a good choice, it's far too small, plus it's essentially a 1-way path, which takes away any decision-making whatsoever and becomes stale very quickly. Now compared to the Christmas event, the location was way better, there were multiple paths to get to a specific point and even a few layers, this forces the player to plan their path, thus engages the player to think and be creative.

Issue 2) The objective

There is simply none - I don't consider killing Entei as a real 'objective', as it is just another battle, this personally takes away my whole incentive to run it in the first place, because I don't feel as I am making any progress, but just running around instead. Now compared to the Christmas event, there were multiple objectives, that players had to 1. find; 2. choose when to pick them; 3. decide how to get to them - this creates depth and offers some strategic choices, thus providing the longevity that the event needs, there is almost none of this in the Lunar event, it's been a day and a half and I am already more bored from it than after doing the Christmas event for 7 days.

Issue 3) RnG at the beginning

This is the smallest issue by far, but it still bugs me, mainly because a different idea already worked well on the Christmas event, but then was changed for a worse alternative. The players get a random pokemon at the beginning, removing any input from the player in favor of pure RnG and it just ends in people resetting the instance until they get a good pokemon to get going - RnG can be a positive addition when used correctly, but it doesn't make sense in this case. Now compared to the Christmas event, people were given multiple options at the beginning and had the ability to choose their typing, thus allowing people to be creative and think about their combo synergies, and even though it wasn't perfect, it's still a better alternative that just requires a bit more balancing to truly shine.

I understand seasonal events aren't supposed to be complex and that some people might think that I am overthinking it, but I still felt like sharing some constructive criticism. That being said, I don't think many people expected to have a Lunar event at all and I am glad that the event list is expanding beyond Christmas and Halloween, but if we do get them more frequently, they could use more depth to keep them fun and engaging.

Edited by Dazuzi
Grammar

I agree with issue 1.  The location is garbage.

I don't agree with issue 2.  Getting a completely new reward when you beat a boss is an upgrade from trying to steal big robot parts from your teammates.  It would be better if all 3 legendary beasts spawned and you got better/new rewards when you took down all 3 but its still and upgrade from the same robot part always spawning in the same spot.

I don't know about issue 3.  The rng matters the least at the beginning.  It matters much more later when certain waves are free and others are almost impossible.  I kind of like it though because its more interesting than the last event.  The rng I don't like is all the moves that miss and deliberately bad abilities like static and cute charm.  Anger point is the biggest one.  There shouldn't randomly always be a 1/24 chance of losing against it.  That is terrible.  Just give more things solid matchups that either win hard or lose hard.

Overall, I think the rewards need to scale to where if you get something else the further you go.  Linearly scaling envelopes just doesn't cut it.  Or you could just cut people off of the event after they beat 1 boss.  Getting punished for being too good to lose early is annoying.

Also, if you d/c from the session to leave you don't get a reward and that is shit.  Happened to someone in my group.

Edited by Aard

The only thing I really don't like about the event is that they teased us with entei, a legendary that we cannot get until dungeons(and as to when those are coming..... probably 2080 at this rate XD). And to top that off, we don't even get to use him at the shrine when you do beat him.

Besides that, the event seems quite nice. More balance of rewards so the lucky red envelopes not only can only be obtained in the event game, but also so you have to do the event multiple times to get a decent amount.

Another thing I like is the new fireworks items you can use to light up the sky. Just walk to some random part of town, light a firework, walk away.

But the thing I like the most i the rare charms you can get from the envelopes. Such as the item charm, riches(money) charm, and especially the shiny charm(Shiny Rate can now be considered fair)

Overall, it's a really nice event and one that I didn't see coming since Lunar New Year isn't AS big of a holiday as Halloween or Christmas, but I digress.

28 minutes ago, Aard said:

I don't know about issue 3.  The rng matters the least at the beginning. 

Yeah, it doesn't matter much as I mentioned, the point was that I don't understand why they pivoted from the 'pick your type' option in favor of RnG.

I don't agree with issue 2.  Getting a completely new reward when you beat a boss is an upgrade from trying to steal big robot parts from your teammates.  It would be better if all 3 legendary beasts spawned and you got better/new rewards when you took down all 3 but its still and upgrade from the same robot part always spawning in the same spot.

It's just my personal preference to have an objective based event, rather than another NPC battle. Seeing Entei is definitely cool though.

Overall, I think the rewards need to scale to where if you get something else the further you go.  Linearly scaling envelopes just doesn't cut it.  Or you could just cut people off of the event after they beat 1 boss.  Getting punished for being too good to lose early is annoying.

I agree, linear scaling is unrewarding and the curve should be adjusted.

Edited by Dazuzi

There's one issue, that bothers me: Dying should give back at least some PP.

It feels incredibly frustrating, when your team (especially 2 member ones) has used up (almost) all PPs for the damaging moves and you die (i.e. you messed up or got super unlucky at a bad time). Then it doesn't matter how many lives you still got - you don't have a chance to get to the shrine.

IMHO you should at least have a chance to win the 3 required battles - somewhere between 5-10 PP per move.

I know, you can play around it, have a bigger team (4 members), better PP management, change mons more often, etc. ...

But when you mess up - the time you spend burning through the rest of your lives is just having a bad time. :-(