Why not implement doubles in match making?

GodofIshean

Question

4 answers to this question

So the problem with matchmaking right now is that UU and NU barely get enough traffic to have proper matchups, ever. Most people end up taking UU and NU teams to OU matchmaking anyway. So adding more options for matchmaking would condemn them to the same fate as UU/NU. While it's a great idea I would wholly support, the team needs to figure out how to revive UU and NU first. Until then, maybe ask around in global chat or vermillion city ch1 for doubles matches?

Even though it's definitely possible that Doubles would end up in similar situation as UU and NU, I wouldn't just straight up assume it will. Why I have high hopes for Doubles matchmaking actually working is that it's entirely different game compared to singles. That's why I think whether you play Singles or Doubles splits the playerbase much more clearly than whether you play OU or lower tiers. Because the lower tier singles players can also play OU with their comps, I can see why they just take the fast route and queue for OU match. But if we had Doubles matchmaking, I'd really expect some people to queue for Doubles matchmaking and only for Doubles matchmaking. This is because you can't play Singles with proper Doubles comps because the movesets are so significantly different. I've seen an increasing number of people in Global really being dumbfounded for the lack of Doubles in this game outside of occasional tournaments, perhaps this is because we have entered the Gen 5 era now and during that time Doubles already was the official competive format (although being 4v4 VGC). So for many players with VGC background, for them Doubles can be the only proper competitive format. That's why I really hope Doubles matchmaking would be given a chance.

23 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Even though it's definitely possible that Doubles would end up in similar situation as UU and NU, I wouldn't just straight up assume it will. Why I have high hopes for Doubles matchmaking actually working is that it's entirely different game compared to singles. That's why I think whether you play Singles or Doubles splits the playerbase much more clearly than whether you play OU or lower tiers. Because the lower tier singles players can also play OU with their comps, I can see why they just take the fast route and queue for OU match. But if we had Doubles matchmaking, I'd really expect some people to queue for Doubles matchmaking and only for Doubles matchmaking. This is because you can't play Singles with proper Doubles comps because the movesets are so significantly different. I've seen an increasing number of people in Global really being dumbfounded for the lack of Doubles in this game outside of occasional tournaments, perhaps this is because we have entered the Gen 5 era now and during that time Doubles already was the official competive format (although being 4v4 VGC). So for many players with VGC background, for them Doubles can be the only proper competitive format. That's why I really hope Doubles matchmaking would be given a chance.

Point taken. Maybe with OU/UU/NU matchmaking, we could suggest an option that when you're signing up, you get to specify what tiers your team has, and if there's other people with a team in the same tier, it could match you up with those, and if there isn't a suitable match, it could just match you with an OU team. Since people take UU and NU teams to OU anyway

On 7/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, OrangeManiac said:

So for many players with VGC background, for them Doubles can be the only proper competitive format. That's why I really hope Doubles matchmaking would be given a chance.

Came here to say this. 

Like this game but no official 4x4 doubles in matchmaking and no hidden abilities are deal breaker for me :-(