Character art overhaul (with assets!)

EikoBiko

Question

Yo!

I'm an artist, been doing technical art for the better part of a couple years now. Since we've been fiddling around in Unova, let's switch to the higher-fidelity style of the gen 5 games. (Unless there's plans to switch to full 3D for gen 6 shenanigans...)

In short, I think the current overworld sprites are okay, there's nothing totally wrong with them, but I find the character profile sprites really... dopey looking. Or, in other terms, the male sprite in particular looks like a kid getting his picture taken with a pokeball. Very not-battle-ready. So I sprited a bunch of stuff.

playercomparison.png.c9df6ac000b5ee4e021dd9c8eacf14de.png

As you can see, I've given him a bit more of a confident look. His stance is more balanced and calm, he is more presenting the pokeball, rather than holding it in the air, he's looking a little bit more AT the opponent, and the expression on his face makes him seem like he actually wants to be there. Here's a few more customization options I've ported to this style.

Ninja Scarf, Ninja Mask, Visor, Poncho, Gloves, Boots, Shorts.

Oh yeah, please give us different bottoms.

1091886930_ninjastuff.png.ca95854676329bd403873391acdb9d47.png502259734_visorponchogloves.png.bf52a899df7c74b26c3e6d73617b107a.png

Additionally, I want to talk about hair and how they interact with hats. I noticed with a number of customization options, the hair is just completely hidden to avoid poking out of the hat. This is the problem you guys would have otherwise:

nohat.gif.23c33984e9792ab664402907667074d3.gif

However, there is a solution. Instead of just hiding the hair entirely, you could instead choose to have each hat include a mask that is applied to the hair, like so:

mask.png.1b641d8161dade559ca194317e0132d5.png

In the mask, all the blacked out areas the hair will not render. So, apply that to the hair, and in the end, you get this:

hat3.png.bc8f090d7e7337756e4480f6ef5fbdca.png

No clipping, no compromise.

Also, here's a completely blank BW-style overworld sprite sheet I made, to help with conversion to a new overworld standard.

bwspritesheet.png.c27175102c70b9da717abdcea34573fd.png

If any of the devs see this post and are interested, I am willing to help convert assets.

Also, will do female sprites if people seem to care.

Edited by EikoBiko

1 answer to this question