So about Gen 6+ and the people who've been asking about it...

I was told somewhere (not sure if it was this forum or the discord) that the reason games from gen 6 or later gens are not likely to be ever added is because of three main limiting factors:

1 - Pokemons from those games no longer use a sprite system (or at something like that)

2 - Adding custom made sprites would void the terms under wich Nintendo turns a blind eye to this game's continuation, because they DO know and I'm pretty sure they're waiting for even the slightest chance to bonk it out with a cease and desist (effectively so this time since the creators would be altering assets from their IP)

3 - It would be a massive endeavor to actually implement the Gen 6+ mons and regions as they are, and said endeavor is not likely to be take on by a small dev team as PokeMMO's

Did I get it right or is there something I'm missing out?

I was just thinking about PokeMMO and  gen 6 sprites! To my knowledge the only sprites that exist post gen 5 are on Pokémon Showdown. Fans on Pokémon Showdown have created sprites; They have nothing to do with Nintendo. Also, I don’t think they any animations like the Nintendo sprites do. Perhaps a way around that would be to change all Pokémon to 3D renderings and getting rid of sprites entirely. I personally wouldn’t be a fan of that since I prefer the sprites over 3D for most gen 1-5 mons. 

Another point to add is that X and Y were the first Pokémon games with 3D graphics. All of the vanities are in 2D like the rest of the game. Either our characters would have to stay in 2D or PokeMMO would have to create 3D versions of every vanity in the game. 

As amazing as it would be to have more regions and new Pokémon I don’t blame PokeMMO for keeping their game gens 1-5. Besides, it really creates an “old school Pokémon” atmosphere that drew me to the game in the first place. 

Edited by azuloon

I agree with the old school vibes take. But it'd be hella cool to have future gen mons with fanmade sprites that fit the style of the already implemented regions but they can't add them because of copyright policies. They work with either what's in the Roms or content created by them entirely such as apparel and vanity items (this is why they had to change items from the gift shop back when nintendo threw a cease and desist)

Edited by Ov3rbyte