[Story] [Action/Adventure] Youth

Diary entry: Keen. Date: 21/12/2024. *Entry: 1  

"We are the reckless, we are the wild youth."

It was a dark day, the streets were flooded with masses of deceased bodies; their stench of blood and decay was unbearable.  Bits of the city were left in shadows, the streets were in chaos. 

The remains of cars and devastated buildings were there, left unattended. You could inaudibly hear many people screaming, many people fleeing, but these "things" weren't giving them a chance. These groans, these agonizing groans... oh, you wouldn't want to hear that.

It was ridiculous, don't you think? I mean, look at us, we're a ragtag group. We  had no chance of survival in this vicious world.  Everyone of us were as thin as a stick. We barely had any equipment.We'd get torn apart before we had the chance to react. I seemed like the only person in here that could survive on their own. We were stranded in a little house... we had cleared it a few weeks ago. We needed to relocate immediately. We could hold out for a little longer; just a little, no more, no less. We needed food, we haven't eaten in quite a while. We had to scavenge houses and buildings nearby, it was already gone... as if another group passed by earlier.

No, we're the only ones out here.  I doubt we'll find anyone out there, no-one has lasted this long.  It'd be a long time before we find someone else. I'm sure of it. These, zombies that is, are probably roaming around in search for us! We don't have anything to fight back with, we're just a sitting duck; we've just set camp and we're waiting for them to stroll by.

We sat around the campfire - every single one of us reminiscing about the joys of the past days, when we weren't actually fighting for survival.

Now we're here, fighting for our life, and we realize: would it hurt to, once in while, show a little appreciation for the things that we have?

We had our palisades set up, it'll give us long enough... to, you know, realize darkness is near and run as far as we can. It didn't look great for us, we needed to leave. We needed to gather; resources, food, people, and all in all, a good to place to retreat to. We hadn't been attacked for the few weeks we've been living here, I doubt it'll-- oh, the irony. 

Huddling around the fire, when all of a sudden - zombies. We were being attacked, and another thing, this house has only one exit... What could we do? I had to do something. I clutched the sword near me and ran to the barrier - not even thinking about the dangers - I placed the blade on a zombie's shoulder and I drew it up,  then swerved it at his face. That was one down...

Oh, sorry,  I forgot to introduce myself: I am Keen.

• Kizhaz locked this topic