EV and IV noob

I've been playing Pokémon since the very original games came out in the 90's but I've never really paid any attention to EV's and IV's. I've just started to play PokeMMO and now i find myself battling real people but I keep loosing all the time. I feel like I need to learn about this EV and IV stuff but it all seems so complicated. What's the best way for a noob like me to start learning it?

IVs are Individual Values, which are set and cannot be changed unless the Pokemon is used for Breeding.

The child Pokemon will inherit IVs based on the IVs on its parents. In PokeMMO; it has a chance to inherit either parent's IV, Or an "average" IV. 

For example if the father Pokemon has a HP IV of 30, and the mother has a HP IV of 20, the child can either get 30 or 20 from its parents, or get 25, which is the average.

IVs can be manipulated by using the Power items for sale in each of the day cares. These will set an IV to be passed from the parent to the child.

If both parents share the same IV, you don't need to use a Power item to pass down the stat, 

EVs are Effort Values. These are gained determining what Pokemon you encounter and knock out either in the wild or by battling.

EVs can also be gained by vitamins such as Zinc and Carbos; and can also be lost by using berries such as Pomeg and Qualot. These berries trade EVs for happiness.

At Lv.100 4 EV points = 1 stat gained.

At Lv.50 8 EV points = 1 stat gained.

EVs can be spread across any stats you want, up to 252 per stat. And you only have 510 EV points before your Pokemon cannot have any more

Bulbapedia have a nice chart to show you what Pokemon give what EVs: Listed here https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield

I hope this is easy to understand

Edited by Elizn
2 hours ago, Elizn said:

IVs are Individual Values, which are set and cannot be changed unless the Pokemon is used for Breeding.

The child Pokemon will inherit IVs based on the IVs on its parents. In PokeMMO; it has a chance to inherit either parent's IV, Or an "average" IV. 

For example if the father Pokemon has a HP IV of 30, and the mother has a HP IV of 20, the child can either get 30 or 20 from its parents, or get 25, which is the average.

IVs can be manipulated by using the Power items for sale in each of the day cares. These will set an IV to be passed from the parent to the child.

If both parents share the same IV, you don't need to use a Power item to pass down the stat, 

EVs are Effort Values. These are gained determining what Pokemon you encounter and knock out either in the wild or by battling.

EVs can also be gained by vitamins such as Zinc and Carbos; and can also be lost by using berries such as Pomeg and Qualot. These berries trade EVs for happiness.

At Lv.100 4 EV points = 1 stat gained.

At Lv.50 8 EV points = 1 stat gained.

EVs can be spread across any stats you want, up to 252 per stat. And you only have 510 EV points before your Pokemon cannot have any more

Bulbapedia have a nice chart to show you what Pokemon give what EVs: Listed here https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield

I hope this is easy to understand

Yes that does actually help a lot. thank you! 

I need a "catching Pokemon" to make catching Pokemon easier. I am going to train a Parasect with Spore and false swipe. I have just spent several hours catching loads of paras's and I have caught one with some pretty good IV's. 

HP: 31
Attack: 15
Defemce: 30
Sp. Atk: 31
Sp.Def: 16
Speed: 18
Total: 141/186

Now I want to try and EV train it. Which of the stats should I aim to improve with EV training?

If Parasect is going to be used for catching, 252Atk, 252Speed, 6Wherever. 

Since False Swipe is physical, you want to try to have as high attack as possible to make sure what you're catching goes to 1HP.

47 minutes ago, tomlester27 said:

Thankyou! This stuff isn't as complicated as I originally thought. Pretty easy really. Now I just need to release all of my current poor stat pokemon and start all over again! lol

I was in your place a few years ago, just here to cheer you up! It's fun starting to grow a collection of Pokemon that are really "valuable" due to their IV's, so it won't be as unforgiving as you may think, it really grows on you fast 😃