[OU] Help me with my team •®•

Hello everyone! So I've built my first OU team and it looks like this:

https://pokepast.es/5c511c56f3a5ef19

I would like some feedback on my team and I'm willing to change anything excluding Empoleon and I would like to have a grass type, oh and if I could change any of this for a mandibuzz that would be cool too. I like to use mons that arent much used so if u can suggest any to replace what I have right now I would be grateful. Thanks for reading hope someone helps 🙂

Team:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb Ability: Poison Heal Tera Type: Ground

EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def /76 Spe

Impish Nature

-Stealth Rock - Earthquake - Protect - Toxic

Empoleon @ Leftovers Ability: Torrent Tera Type: Water

EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD Calm Nature 

-Scald - Defog - Roost - Roar

Infernape @ Expert Belt Ability: Blaze Tera Type: Fire

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Naive Nature

- U-turn - Close Combat - Flamethrower - Hidden Power [Ice]

Breloom @ Focus Sash Ability: Technician Tera Type: Fire

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Spore - Bullet Seed - Mach Punch - Rock Tomb

Metagross @ Assault Vest Ability: Clear Body Tera Type: Steel

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Meteor Mash - Hidden Power [Ice] - Thunder Punch - Zen Headbutt

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf Ability: Levitate Tera Type: Dark

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Fire Blast - U-turn - Dark Pulse - Dragon Pulse

Edited by Mauricio9
  • Mauricio9 changed the title to [OU] Help me with my team •®•

I really like your team :)! 

Gliscor+Empoleon works really well togheter covering each other's weaknesses:

Gliscor Resist Fighting and is Immune to Ground and Electric while Empoleon resists both Water and Ice.  Looking at the meta you will realize that this core is threatened by RotomW with his dual STAB Water/Electric so a Grass type is ideal resisting both Electric and Water, a Dragon also could work to some degree. Breloom is nice but just have to make sure to no get will o wisp on the switch in,
Serperior could be a pain aswell, thats why A LOT of people uses Gliscor/RotomW/Amoongus (RotomW instead of Empoleon as a defoger) as a core, but Gliscor/Empoleon/Breloom sounds nice.
I'm kinda curious about the EV spread, is to survive some particular attack, outspeed something?

I have two Infernapes myself (one Jolly 252 ataq/speed and one Naive Mix Attacker) and none of them worked very well for me in the current meta (also you already have a fighting type in Breloom), so Maybe change it to Volcarona? I think a Setup Sweeper is needed in this kind of team (but could be my personal preference more than an objetive fact).
The Metagross is nice, but why HP Ice? Just use Ice Punch :), also Bullet Punch is to be consider to fix his slow speed.

Hydreigon is a strong pokemon and a Scarf mon is always handy 🙂

10 hours ago, Ramallero said:

Gliscor Resist Fighting and is Immune to Ground and Electric while Empoleon resists both Water and Ice.  Looking at the meta you will realize that this core is threatened by RotomW with his dual STAB Water/Electric so a Grass type is ideal resisting both Electric and Water, a Dragon also could work to some degree. Breloom is nice but just have to make sure to no get will o wisp on the switch in,
Serperior could be a pain aswell, thats why A LOT of people uses Gliscor/RotomW/Amoongus (RotomW instead of Empoleon as a defoger) as a core, but Gliscor/Empoleon/Breloom sounds nice.
I'm kinda curious about the EV spread, is to survive some particular attack, outspeed something?

I have two Infernapes myself (one Jolly 252 ataq/speed and one Naive Mix Attacker) and none of them worked very well for me in the current meta (also you already have a fighting type in Breloom), so Maybe change it to Volcarona? I think a Setup Sweeper is needed in this kind of team (but could be my personal preference more than an objetive fact).
The Metagross is nice, but why HP Ice? Just use Ice Punch :), also Bullet Punch is to be consider to fix his slow speed.

Hello, first of all I want to thank u for helping me and helping a lot of new players! That's really kind of you!

There's a tons of Pokemons so I would like to use them all. In Metagross I'm using bullet punch as u recommended ( idk why I have it like that), now I really really love infernape and he can actually get some of my opponent's pokemons with hidden power ice because they are not expecting it, and overall it's a fast pokemon, so I would change it for a fast grass Pokemon? I feel like I could use a gastrodon with immunity to water and electric attacks, because of the rain teams that are there a lot! Could u show me how u would put the EVs if u don't mind? I'm not really good at that to tell u the truth.. I remember on gliscor it was to outspeed something. But yeah I feel like I could change some Pokemons here so the team don't have that many gaps. Thanks for your help again!

13 hours ago, Ramallero said:

Hello, first of all I want to thank u for helping me and helping a lot of new players! That's really kind of you!

There's a tons of Pokemons so I would like to use them all. In Metagross I'm using bullet punch as u recommended ( idk why I have it like that), now I really really love infernape and he can actually get some of my opponent's pokemons with hidden power ice because they are not expecting it, and overall it's a fast pokemon, so I would change it for a fast grass Pokemon? I feel like I could use a gastrodon with immunity to water and electric attacks, because of the rain teams that are there a lot! Could u show me how u would put the EVs if u don't mind? I'm not really good at that to tell u the truth.. I remember on gliscor it was to outspeed something. But yeah I feel like I could change some Pokemons here so the team don't have that many gaps. Thanks for your help again! ( Actually breloom can resist to water and electric attacks... So I would change infernape for something else? I I need to check what my team is weak against, maybe garchomp?)

Edited by Mauricio9
8 hours ago, Mauricio9 said:

There's a tons of Pokemons so I would like to use them all. In Metagross I'm using bullet punch as u recommended ( idk why I have it like that), now I really really love infernape and he can actually get some of my opponent's pokemons with hidden power ice because they are not expecting it, and overall it's a fast pokemon, so I would change it for a fast grass Pokemon? I feel like I could use a gastrodon with immunity to water and electric attacks, because of the rain teams that are there a lot! Could u show me how u would put the EVs if u don't mind? I'm not really good at that to tell u the truth.. I remember on gliscor it was to outspeed something. But yeah I feel like I could change some Pokemons here so the team don't have that many gaps. Thanks for your help again! ( Actually breloom can resist to water and electric attacks... So I would change infernape for something else? I I need to check what my team is weak against, maybe garchomp?)

My pleasure! I really like theory crafting teams 🙂
Gastrodon is good walling RotomW STABs, but can't threaten him back cause Rotom resists both Scald and Ice beam and is immune to Earthquake/Earth Power. He could use Toxic and Recover to wear it down but RotomW could do the same with Toxic-PainSplit, so I think a grass type is just better. Also neither Gliscor nor Empoleon covers the x4 grass weakness of Gastrodon so Serperior will be a big threat.. I feel that Amoongus is the obvious answer, but again, thats what everybody is using so nothing original there.. Hydreigon could hadle it (always live a +2 HP Ice from full heal) but you will need to play around a bit cause you will need some chip damage to ensure the KO with Fireblast:

+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 104-124 (62.2 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 

252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 126-150 (84 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO 

In the other hand Metagross is a way better answer: 

+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 70-84 (37.4 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO 

While Ice punch + Bullet Punch has a pretty nice chance to Kill from full after leftovers recovery:

252+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 102-120 (68 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 
252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 42-49 (28 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO 

Yeah, rain teams are annoying, but Empoleon resist all the common moves from Kingdra (Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Hurricane/Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor,etc) so with roost you should be able to handle it (I'm not saying that you are going to win but at least had a decent matchup), and Focus Sash Breloom is good against Kabutops.

Most of the time I go the standard 252/252/4 distribution except some times that I want to outspeed something in particular or live some attack. For example a Defensive RotomW has a good chance to 0KO Gliscor form full with Hydro pump:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 164-194 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO 

But if I put 60 EVs in SpD I'm sure it always lives:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Gliscor: 152-180 (83.5 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal 

To do this calcs I use the pokemon Showdown Calculator https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/ 
But again, I only do it for very specific scenarios, not always.

I recomend you swap Infernape for a setup sweeper because you can be heavy walled by Stall teams and Volcarona is the first option it cames to mind because having a Fire type is nice, but something else could also work (like a Dragon dance Gyarados with Taunt)..

And about Garchomp: everything is threatened by him xD, is just too good of a pokemon with great stats and OP coverage, he has no counters (counter is a pokemon that can enter, tank any of his attacks and win the 1 vs 1 against him), with his signature set of: Fireblast-Draco Meteor-Earthquake (with lifeorb) there is no pokemon that can enter the fileld and take any of those hits (and by take I don't mean survive, but take little damage). He has checks (checks are pokemon that can win the 1 vs 1 if can switch in for free, but no if they switch into an attack), your Metagross for example always lives an EQ or a Fireblast from mixed garchomp and 0KO with Ice Punch:

4 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 151-179 (80.7 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 88-104 (47 - 55.6%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO 

252+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 204-240 (111.4 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO 

And Choice Scarf Hydreigon outspeeds and 0KO with Dragon Pulse, so you have tools to handle it.
18 minutes ago, Ramallero said:

My pleasure! I really like theory crafting teams 🙂
Gastrodon is good walling RotomW STABs, but can't threaten him back cause Rotom resists both Scald and Ice beam and is immune to Earthquake/Earth Power. He could use Toxic and Recover to wear it down but RotomW could do the same with Toxic-PainSplit, so I think a grass type is just better. Also neither Gliscor nor Empoleon covers the x4 grass weakness of Gastrodon so Serperior will be a big threat.. I feel that Amoongus is the obvious answer, but again, thats what everybody is using so nothing original there.. Hydreigon could hadle it (always live a +2 HP Ice from full heal) but you will need to play around a bit cause you will need some chip damage to ensure the KO with Fireblast:

+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 104-124 (62.2 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 

252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 126-150 (84 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO 

In the other hand Metagross is a way better answer: 

+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 70-84 (37.4 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO 

While Ice punch + Bullet Punch has a pretty nice chance to Kill from full after leftovers recovery:

252+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 102-120 (68 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 
252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 42-49 (28 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO 

Yeah, rain teams are annoying, but Empoleon resist all the common moves from Kingdra (Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Hurricane/Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor,etc) so with roost you should be able to handle it (I'm not saying that you are going to win but at least had a decent matchup), and Focus Sash Breloom is good against Kabutops.

Most of the time I go the standard 252/252/4 distribution except some times that I want to outspeed something in particular or live some attack. For example a Defensive RotomW has a good chance to 0KO Gliscor form full with Hydro pump:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 164-194 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO 

But if I put 60 EVs in SpD I'm sure it always lives:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Gliscor: 152-180 (83.5 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal 

To do this calcs I use the pokemon Showdown Calculator https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/ 
But again, I only do it for very specific scenarios, not always.

I recomend you swap Infernape for a setup sweeper because you can be heavy walled by Stall teams and Volcarona is the first option it cames to mind because having a Fire type is nice, but something else could also work (like a Dragon dance Gyarados with Taunt)..

And about Garchomp: everything is threatened by him xD, is just too good of a pokemon with great stats and OP coverage, he has no counters (counter is a pokemon that can enter, tank any of his attacks and win the 1 vs 1 against him), with his signature set of: Fireblast-Draco Meteor-Earthquake (with lifeorb) there is no pokemon that can enter the fileld and take any of those hits (and by take I don't mean survive, but take little damage). He has checks (checks are pokemon that can win the 1 vs 1 if can switch in for free, but no if they switch into an attack), your Metagross for example always lives an EQ or a Fireblast from mixed garchomp and 0KO with Ice Punch:

4 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 151-179 (80.7 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 88-104 (47 - 55.6%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO 

252+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 204-240 (111.4 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO 

And Choice Scarf Hydreigon outspeeds and 0KO with Dragon Pulse, so you have tools to handle it.

Alright, ty again for the help that's all for now I think. Have a good day and I hope the best for you!