Solar Power Ability - The buff I think it needs

LooKax

Question

Hello everyone! 

I will be 100% honest. I really like Charizard and I don't think I'm the only one who does, he is truly an amazing character and I think he is in need of a little help.

Taking into account that the Solar Power ability gives indeed a lot of power to the pokemon who owns it, I would like to point a few things:

1) On paper Solar Power sounds insane, It gives 50% percent more SP. Attack in harsh sunlight, but that is not always the case. The HP the pokemon loses every turn during sun is a bit too much in my opinion. (Losing 1/8 of total HP every turn)

2) I think Gamefreak forgot about this ability after Gen 6 when they gave Charizard Mega Evolutions and I think that they forgot that prior to gen 6 weather was permanent. 

3) Taking a look at other abilities that trigger during sun like Chlorophyll, this ability is really strong and it doesn't punish the user at all

4) There are far more abilities in the game right that I think are really strong and don't really punish the user. (eg. Regenerator, technician, poison heal etc.)

I would suggest a buff to this ability:

a) Maybe changing the HP lost each turn to something like (From 1/8 to 1/16 HP lost every turn, similar to Leftover)

b) Maybe modifying the ability so that the pokemon doesn't lose HP at all but instead locks the user to use only the first selected move (Similar to the ability Gorilla Tactics used buy Galarian Darmanitan or Similar to how Choice items work)

c) Maybe only changing one aspect about it. I've noticed when playing Charizard Solar Power that when you're using for example Chansey and you are hard-switching into Charizard during sun that at the end of the turn you still lose HP. I would suggest buffing Solar Power in a way that when you're hard-switching into a Solar Power Pokemon at the end of THAT turn you dont lose HP at all.

I would love to hear your opinion on this guys!

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my ideas!

I hope I dont offend anyone with my suggestions!

I wish you guys a good day!

Edited by LooKax
typos

1 answer to this question

IMO I'd rather not have any ability/movepool changed unless it affects the meta game in a negative way, and even that has its own discussion.

With that said, solar power is already a very busted wall breaking ability, making zard pick flamethrower most of the time without worrying of even type disadvantages. The only mon I know that can even survive it and its other coverage move solar beam is Altaria (and well Chansey/Blissey). The ability is perfect imo and doesn't need any buffs.

Edited by RenDude