Thief Question!

Hi everyone! I'm a returning player after a few years off. I remember Thief not working if the targeted Pokemon fainted from the attack. Though I watched a YouTube video last night where that wasn't the case. They were able to use a Lvl 100 to OHKO and still get the item. Did this change at some point in time or am I really misunderstanding something? 

27 minutes ago, PikaPixels said:

Hi everyone! I'm a returning player after a few years off. I remember Thief not working if the targeted Pokemon fainted from the attack. Though I watched a YouTube video last night where that wasn't the case. They were able to use a Lvl 100 to OHKO and still get the item. Did this change at some point in time or am I really misunderstanding something? 

It changed on the Changelog 11/05/2021. But as a counterbalance measure, Frisk no longer reveals which mon in a horde has a item, just that some mon has a item. 

It used to be the case where fainting the wild Pokemon would not give the item it was holding. This is no longer the case and you will now receive the item if your Pokemon is not already holding an item and you faint the opposing Pokemon.