[Implemented] Disable Item Use During PVP

Hey everyone

Well, I thought I'd share my suggestions with the community, but then I thought that some of them might not be what everyone wants for the game, and decided to turn it into a discussion.

At this point, I understand the game is going through a lot of changes, it is still a very early version of what the developers want it to be: and that's cool, because I'm still enjoying the game a lot, and I think this has a lot of potential.

Anyways, I'll leave my thoughts here for everyone to comment on and discuss. (Warning: Wall of text incoming)

So, one of the first things I saw discussed ingame, on the chats, was that players can use items inside battles vs other players. I think this should be disabled. Healing items are very strong in this game, especially later into battles, when you might not have a certain type of pokemon anymore to fight vs the pokemon your foe just sent out, you will take a while to kill it, and you might eventually do it slowly, but this process will become a frustration, if every time his pokemon gets to 25% health, he uses a full restore or something of the likes. This is a broken mechanic, although it was allowed in the series, we are now talking about a game that will focus on PvP as it's endgame, and we should have that PvP be as fair as it could be.

Also, I saw a lot of people asking if there was a way to change the battle mode. I think this should remain locked as "Set", the mode we currently have. This is the hardest way to battle, and is also the one that is the most fair. If you want to switch out your pokemon, you have to give something in exchange, and that is, a free blow to your next pokemon, it's a risk you have to take, or let your current one die first. Any changes to this will make PvE stupidly easy, and PvP broken.

What are your thoughts on these mechanics? Share your opinions, I also want to see other points of view.

------------------------------------

Legendaries are also a concern for me. Most legendaries have higher stats than normal pokemons, some of them are even godlike (I'm looking at you, Mewtwo). However they are going to be caught, they should remain permanently banned from PvP duels, or add an option before the PvP to fight with legendaries (and make it clear, so that one doesn't miss it when they are about to accept the duel).

Regarding their capture, I don't think that timed events by the admins would be the right way to do it. These limit the players a lot, and give these events some kind of obligatory participation, that it requires you to go to. Make legendaries be captured at a designated location, with super low spawn rate, and limited to 1 per player. To add the extra little spice, make that area hard, with high level pokemons, so that you can't get the legendaries you want without having a strong party first.

Other way to do this, would be adding the PvE instances. This, although it's not a bad idea, it might be hard to implement, and take quite some time. But it would indeed be fun to do, something different and never seen could really boost this game.

Either way, legendaries should be something hard to acquire, and only acquirable after you beat the Elite Four or further events. Don't make the story easy for the players, they should have to take some time to beat the game before getting these godlike pokemons.

Also, make legendaries untradable. Like I said before, limit them to 1 of each per player.

I feel like walking around the world is at the right place. It doesn't feel as slow as pokemon games, but it isn't as fast as the emulators, it's at the right place, feels right. Thanks for that, I and many others appreciate that.

Battle speed is a whole different thing. Stuff takes to much to take place. I understand you can have the effects and all that, it's really neat, and makes battles more interesting. But I think they should be optimized.

I noticed that the info that appears on text and the animations take place at different times. In the series, some text and animations would take place at the same time. This is maybe what makes the battles so slow. Also, there's a time window between the animations and the text, that if removed, would also make battles much faster and responsive.

This, coupled with a few little "quality of life" improvements to battles (switching the skill slots, fixing visual bugs with the pokeballs and such), and fixing some bugs that make the player get stuck during the battle (It has happened to me and others quite a few times now, but I think this is somehow related to Java), and battles will be a lot smoother and fast, more enjoyable for the players.

Differentiated and real time events are a plus. I'm not sure at this time what you're planning on doing later on, but I think you should find some 3 or 4 people to organize these. These could include tournaments, hide and seek, riddles, anything goes really, and rewards could be items, TM's, starter or rare pokemons, there are lots of possible choices. I hope you consider this in the future, this makes players feel that the admins care for them, and they want them to stick around. Who knows, might even make players donate and keep the servers alive for longer.

TL;DR, go read it

I, as a player, feel like these suggestions would contribute to a healthy server and make this game lots of fun. I want to hear other opinions though, make this a discussion, not just a suggestions thread. Also, sorry for any typo, english isn't my main language, I try to write as best as I can, but I always end up screwing up somewhere. Sorry for that.

Thanks for reading, I took some time to write this to make this game better, I hope you can get where you want to.

Best luck to the devs and admins.

Remove the ablity to use items in battle needs to happen, it's just the same as if you were playing against someone on the actual games online or over a simulator, samething with keeping it to Set. Legendary pokemon honestly can stay as they would in the normal game, alot of them are not good and you and your foe can agree to no Mewtwos or Lugias before battle.

The battle speed is more than likely just a product of the game still being in Pre-Alpha and Im sure it will increase once it becomes less buggy and more optimized.

Personally myself I would just like to see Fire Red but in MMO form which we have, of course events would be nice and tournys hosted at differect locals, each city could have it's own themed tourny for example a Little Cup (Level 5 Baby Pokemon) in Fushia City, etc. Prizes could be anything, shiny pokemon come to mind for example.

If anything all 386 Pokemon in the game need to be catachable, the theme of Pokemon is to catch them all and stuff like Mew and Deoxys aren't catchable outside of Nintendo Event or cheating so they need to be implmented some how.

I really like most of your suggestions

PvP needs to be without items

Switch mode is basically easy mode for the portable console games and doesn't belong to an MMO

Using most legendaries for battle is fine. I suggest using Smogon tiers as a guideline (banning http://www.smogon.com/rs/tiers/uber ). Other legendaries will be even more fair play considering you can't reset for nature and EV.

I like how legends work in the original games. Maybe just render most inaccessible before defeating the E4 and increasing the level of wild monsters there.

Running speed is fine, might just need a bit of fine tuning to reduce the backstepping that occurs during lag/loading.

Forcing animations ain't so bad but the overall speed of battle needs to be faster by removing most delay and updating text during animations.

Events are a powergoal that should be more discussed once the basics are down.