The PokeMMO Starter Art Contest (July 1st-July 20th)

Program used: Paint Tool SAI (Original sketch done in pen, but no longer visible)

Size: 1600x1200

Time taken: 11 hours (9.5 hours Pokemon, 1.5 hours background)

My entry is my take on the final evolved form of Chespin. I noticed that Chespin and Oshawott have a rather similar body shape. Since Oshawott's final evolution is based on a Japanese samurai, I decided to base Chespin's on a Roman centurion. Chespin's helmet makes this choice quite plausible too. Chespin looks like it could possibly be based on a hedgehog (as well as the obvious chipmunk) and so I decided to incorporate that into its weapon. A Pokemon with a sword seems unlikely, but if it were something produced on its own body, such as a hard, sharp quill, it would do nicely for a weapon. Samurott grows its own weapons too, adding another similarity. The typing would be grass/steel, and stat-wise it would be slow but with great defense, good attack/HP, and moderate special attack/special defense. It would be named "Chesturion".

MoqYJno.png

Put some effort into this. Coming up with a creative design that doesn't drift off too much from the original evolution. So this is my attempt at a final evolution form of Chespin. I call it Chesplate and would say it's type Grass/Steel (with plates on the back and armoring the tail).

Pokedex description: Chesplate, the heavy armored beaver bear Pokemon. Its weakspot is its tail which is covered by plates. It can sense heat with the tip of its tail which allows it to feel the presence of other nearby Pokemons or Humans within radius of 500 meters. It uses the long leaves on its head to absorb energy or charge various attacks. The length of the leaves marks the age and power of it. Older and stronger Chesplates have very long leaves. If out of power, the leaves lose stiffness and sink to the ground.

The pencil version:

i3ea6g.jpg

And the colored version:

30ihrie.jpg