Stopwatch in the Clock

Atuan

Question

16 answers to this question

Because improved in game functionality is always better than browser options or third party programs

mmmk but do we really need it? like why do you need to know the in game time down to the second?

but yes i suppose it would only be beneficial 

edit: ok i support although it'll probably drive people mental "it took me 32 minutes to find a single chansey" etc

A stopwatch would run independently from the Clock time, so it could be used to track breeding times and anything else you want to time. 

A stopwatch by HelenVillagra

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/25819-3rd-party-program-another-egg-timer/

Mine

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/25386-3rd-party-program-egg-timer-v14/

Your problems have been solved.

As far as pausing, I have been working on getting that functionality on mine, but I don't really see a need for it since breeding has egg checks every 10 minutes.

It's not that I'm opposed to your suggestion, but I just don't see any reason to upgrade the functionality of the game clock if they have some Pokegear device planned for the future. To me it would seem useless to implement this suggestion only to remove it should the Pokegear get implemented.

A stopwatch by HelenVillagra
https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/25819-3rd-party-program-another-egg-timer/

Mine
https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/25386-3rd-party-program-egg-timer-v14/

Your problems have been solved.

As far as pausing, I have been working on getting that functionality on mine, but I don't really see a need for it since breeding has egg checks every 10 minutes.

It's not that I'm opposed to your suggestion, but I just don't see any reason to upgrade the functionality of the game clock if they have some Pokegear device planned for the future. To me it would seem useless to implement this suggestion only to remove it should the Pokegear get implemented.

Because improved in game functionality is always better than browser options or third party programs

Furthermore people may want a timer for different things than breeding

Furthermore people may want a timer for different things than breeding

Other than tournaments and breeding, what else in this game is time based?

Plus this point right here.

It wouldn't be removed, it would be moved. Creating the function now would just save time in the future.

I don't know why you are assuming that these apps are solving my problem, because they certainly do not. Neither of them are even a stopwatch and simply a 10 minute alarm. There is a difference. I don't want to have 10 windows open when playing PokeMMO. It's too simple of a function (as you should know after coding something similar).

EDIT: Holy crap. The default alarm on the first one is an old alarm clock. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Other than tournaments and breeding, what else in this game is time based?

I'm saying that people may want to have some sort of in game timer for a variety of reasons, regardless of its an actual game mechanic that involves time. The fact that this would be a useful thing to implement, and code that could likely be used later, should be enough to make it stand on its own.

It wouldn't be removed, it would be moved. Creating the function now would just save time in the future.

I don't know why you are assuming that these apps are solving my problem, because they certainly do not. Neither of them are even a stopwatch and simply a 10 minute alarm. There is a difference. I don't want to have 10 windows open when playing PokeMMO. It's too simple of a function (as you should know after coding something similar).

EDIT: Holy crap. The default alarm on the first one is an old alarm clock. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Other than tournaments and breeding, name me one use that this could serve in the game.

Other than tournaments and breeding, name me one use that this could serve in the game.

I'm saying that people may want to have some sort of in game timer for a variety of reasons, regardless of its an actual game mechanic that involves time.

What about Altering Cave? Say the next cycle is going to hit in 26 minutes. I could run the timer for 26 minutes and then head over.

There are often time-based contests where you need to acquire a bunch of one species and allocate enough time to check the IVs. 

I want to time the precise length of a bike route, pay day route, trip the the E4, EV training duration, or maybe I just want to test certain aspects of the game's structure.

What about Altering Cave? Say the next cycle is going to hit in 26 minutes. I could run the timer for 26 minutes and then head over.

There are often time-based contests where you need to acquire a bunch of one species and allocate enough time to check the IVs. 

I want to time the precise length of a bike route, pay day route, trip the the E4, EV training duration, or maybe I just want to test certain aspects of the game's structure.

I should have been more specific, when I said tournaments I was using a general statement encompassing all events (official and unofficial). I mean, if you really want a stopwatch that badly I can look into developing a slim version, but I seriously don't see any need to adding something like this to the GUI if something like the Pokegear is planned for the future. To me it seems unnecessary to put something at the bottom of the screen to turn around and move it later.

As far as Altering Cave goes, why not just glance at the timers people built? I know you don't want a bunch of windows open while playing the game, but is it really that much of an inconvenience to just open the program, note the time left on the current cycle, and close the program? In fact, someone even went through the trouble of making a slimmer timer for Altering Cave cycles, and they are even working on making it lighter on the system. People designed those programs for convenience of the users who could benefit from them. Why not use them in the meantime?

As far as Altering Cave goes, why not just glance at the timers people built? I know you don't want a bunch of windows open while playing the game, but is it really that much of an inconvenience to just open the program, note the time left on the current cycle, and close the program? In fact, someone even went through the trouble of making a slimmer timer for Altering Cave cycles, and they are even working on making it lighter on the system. People designed those programs for convenience of the users who could benefit from them. Why not use them in the meantime?

Why would I use a third party app stopwatch over a browser stopwatch or a physical one? The point is I don't think any of them should be used. If you think this game discourages adding something to remove/change it later, I could point out a few examples.

I don't know why "it will be changed in the future" is such a discouraging reason. PokeGear could be a long way off and it might replace the need for several things in the future. You can't say it's a waste of resources when you made something similar with a more detailed GUI.

Besides, the clock may even turn into the PokeGear in the future, not just the stopwatch portion. How do we always know the exact time? I don't see my character wearing a watch. As little UI conveniences are added, a skeleton of the PokeGear is being developed without anyone even noticing!

And the only thing i ever see the exact second being used is in things like...ohhhhh my Trivia Contest. But i use the timestamp option already in the game....

EDIT: Although, I do think that the possibility that this may happen is there, I do not see this happening any time soon(tm)