PokeMMO Event Discussion: Airborne Tournament

Oh look, an incredibly unbalanced tournament. Let me just save all of you the trouble of making a team, and tell you right now the pokemon that will get you to victory.

Weezing, Salamence, and Gengar. The 4th slot can be filled by many other pokemon, but these 3 are almost necessary. I felt Charizard was decent enough to warrant his own analysis, of course. Not all sets are exactly “Amazing”, I just put tons of set to show options in case you, for whatever reason, are super hipster or want to counter something absurdly specific.

This was only done in a few hours, so perhaps not the most perfect analyses, but eh, you do what you can.

Salamence:
[spoiler]Salamence is, at face value, the most obviously broken threat. It can tear through anything other than Weezing after getting 1 Dragon Dance, and the fact that it is exists singlehandedly displays the absurdity and impracticality of this tournament in any competitive sense. Also, notably, all speed EV sets are assuming 31 speed IV’s, if you don’t have that, then you shouldn’t follow the exact numbers.

Standard Mence
Lonely/Naughty
252 Attack/148 HP/108 Speed
Item: Liechi Berry/Lum Berry/Hard Rock

Dragon Dance
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Rock Slide
Endure/HP Flying/Electric

Item depends on the set, Liechi Berry is preferred for the Endure set, Lum Berry is solid otherwise, although probably not needed. Hard Rock is an option. The +Attack nature is chosen due to the fact the set is based on the assumption Salamence is setting up on something that isn’t a threat to it regardless, therefore, attack is more important than speed regardless. After 1 Dragon Dance, it can outspeed every other pokemon. If you are running Endure, it may be wise to simply run 252 speed and ignore bulk. Flamethrower 2HKO’s physically defensive Skarmories, but Fire Blast is a slightly higher damaging option if you fear Skarmories built to survive flamethrowers. Rock Slide hits every pokemon for at least neutral damage, and comes with a 30% flinch chance. Hidden Power Flying hits certain pokemon for more damage, and is a more accurate option than Rock Slide. Hidden Power Electric makes a Gyarados/Skarmory defensive combo to try and wall Salamence using Intimidates and prediction laughable at best.

Specially Bulky Mence
Hasty
252 Attack/12 Speed/244 Sp.Def
Item: Liechi Berry

Dragon Dance
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Rock Slide
Hidden Power Flying/Aerial Ace

Liechi berry is an absolute must for this to work. It can survive the Ice Beams of a max special attack, specially offensive Gyarados, which is really the only thing other than Weezing that can possibly threaten Salamence due to Intimidate, as well as the Ice Beams of defensive Mantines. The idea is that you Dragon Dance as Gyarados or Mantine switch in, Dragon Dance again as it uses Ice Beam, then get a Liechi Berry boost, leaving you at 2+ due to Intimidate, or 3+ against Mantine. This set is arguably inferior to the main set, however, exists as an option. The main pull is its ability to beat Gyarados without relying on Flinch hax or Endure, freeing up a moveslot for Hidden Power Flying/Aerial Ace. Obviously only works once Weezing is KO’d.

Specially Offensive Salamence
Timid/Hasty/Naive
252 Sp.Att/252 Speed/4 HP
Item: Lum Berry

Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Hidden Power Psychic/Electric

The main draw of this is to beat most Salamence “Counters”, along with its lack of concern regarding Intimidate. Flamethrower can KO physically defensive Skarmory, however, is not guaranteed unless you run Charcoal as an item. For this reason, along with more specially bulky Skarmory, Fire Blast is an option. Crunch is for Gengars, however, you cannot outspeed them. Dragon Claw is for slower Salamence, particularly ones that rely on Dragon Dance for speed, as well as just all around coverage. Hidden Power Psychic can 2HKO physically bulky Weezing, Hidden Power Electric is self-explanatory.

Mixmence
Rash/Mild/Naughty/Lonely
252 Sp.Att/112 Speed/144 Attack

Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Rock Slide
Dragon Dance
Hidden Power Psychic

If you lose with this, you are a failure and have shamed your family name. Or Rock Slide missed. Dragon Dance lets you outspeed everything, +1 Rock Slide destroys most things, the high special attack Flamethrower/HP Psychics let you tear apart Skarmories and Weezings. The only real reason I can see for not wanting to run this is the impracticality of getting a good Hidden Power Salamence.[/spoiler]

Weezing:
[spoiler]Weezing is arguably the best counter of Salamence, barring the very unlikely event of HP Psychic. Will-O-Wisp, Haze, Pain Split, etc., it’s just an incredibly good pokemon all around. Due to Destiny Bond and Explosion, it’s effectively guaranteed to take down at least 1 pokemon, although if they still have their Salamence, letting your Weezing faint is pretty stupid.

Physically Defensive Weezing
Relaxed/Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 Attack
Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

Will-O-Wisp/Haze
Will-O-Wisp/Haze/Destiny Bond/Explosion
Shadow Ball/Destiny Bond/Explosion/Fire Blast
Rest/Pain Split

Plenty of moves to choose from, here. Haze removes Salamence’s status boosts, Will-O-Wisp permanently cripples it, but only has 75% accuracy. However, Salamence might be running Lum Berry, and Will-O-Wisp won’t do anything to Charizards, so it is mostly inferior to Haze. Without attack investment, Shadow Ball 2HKO’s defensively uninvested Gengars, however, due to Explosion/Destiny Bond Gengars, it’s use is mostly limited to situations in which you predict them switching into Gengar. Notably, +Speed Gengar cannot OHKO this Weezing with Psychic. Destiny Bond/Explosion exist as a gurantee to KO one pokemon, Destiny Bond is arguably the better option due to the frequency of Gengar. Fire Blast is for Skarmory, it’s probably not needed, but is there nonetheless. Pain Split/Rest are your options for healing moves, with Chesto berry being the preferred item option for Rest, Leftovers for Pain Split. Specially defensive Weezings are an option, but they don’t merit their own entry, as their moves list is largely the same, and they provide little to no advantage over physically defensive variants. Sludge Bomb is absent from the list due to being of minimal use, only being particularly good against occasional Jumpluffs.[/spoiler]

Gengar:
[spoiler]Powerful and fast, having Thunderbolt to deal with most flying types and Psychic for Weezings and other Gengars. Like Weezing, it’s essentially guaranteed to KO at least 1 pokemon due to Explosion/Destiny Bond being in its movepool. Hypnosis makes it the fastest available sleeper, alongside Jumpluff.

Specially Offensive Gengar
Modest/Mild/Rash/Timid/Naive/Hasty
252 Sp.Att/252 Speed/4 HP
Item: Lum Berry/Magnet/TwistedSpoon

Thunderbolt
Psychic
Explosion/Destiny Bond
Will-O-Wisp/Hidden Power Ice

Nature is largely up to if you’d rather have max special attack or max speed. Max special attack is outsped by base 100’s, but max speed cannot outspeed max attack Crobat/Aerodactyl. If you run Destiny Bond over Explosion, Modest/Timid are the best natures. Thunderbolt hits all the flying types for at least neutral damage bar Gligar, Psychic is for Weezings, Gengars, etc. Destiny Bond/Explosion are near guaranteed KO’s. Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Ice are options for dealing with Salamence, Will-O-Wisp crippling physical variants and HP Ice OHKOing. Hidden Power Ice also deals with Jumpluff, making it a largely better, albeit rare option. Lum Berry is if you fear Jumpluff and any other potential status, Magnet/TwistedSpoon are obvious.[/spoiler]

Charizard:
[spoiler]Not as major of a threat as the other three, but I included an analysis on him entirely due to his ability to threaten the other threats and be able to reasonably OHKO/2HKO them. Unfortunately, due to the lack of move tutors he doesn’t get Thunderpunch yet, making him setup bait for Gyarados.

Mixed Attacker
Naughty/Lonely
252 Attack/108 Speed/148 Sp.Att

Dragon Dance
Rock Slide
Crunch
Flamethrower/Fire Blast

This set requires prediction to be an effective threat. Rock Slide is for standard coverage, Crunch 2HKO’s Gengars, and Flamethrower 2HKO’s Weezing. However, due to leftovers recover, Fire Blast may be a preferred option. The item really isn’t important, and can be scrapped in favor of another one if you have to.

Specially Attacking
Mild/Rash/Modest
252 Sp.Att/108 Speed/148 HP OR Attack
Item: Charcoal

Overheat
Flamethrower/Rock Slide
Crunch
Dragon Dance

Charcoal boosted Overheats will OHKO physically defensive Weezings, Flamethrower is an option for a more reliable fire move, Rock Slide is another option over it. If running Rock Slide, attack investment is recommended. Crunch can still 2HKO Gengar, and Dragon Dance boosts speed and Rock Slide if you run it.

Fuck Weezing
Naughty/Lonely
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Sp.Att
Item: Silk Scarf/Salac Berry

Belly Drum
Double-Edge
Rock Slide
Fire Blast/Flamethrower

The only thing this set does is have a 50% chance of OHKOing physically defensive Weezings with Double-Edge. Rock Slide is there in case you somehow manage to sweep after nearly killing yourself with recoil, Fire Blast/Flamethrower is obvious. Silk Scarf is needed, otherwise, you cannot OHKO physically defensive Weezing. If you’re a betting man, or just want to surprise people with a ridiculous roundabout way of killing Weezing, this is probably it. I mean, you could just run a specially attacking Overheat set, but there’s no fun in using reasonable sets. If you are not a gambling, bold man, you could run Salac Berry alongside Double-Edge, netting you a 1+ Speed boost after the recoil damage. However, you cannot OHKO physically defensive Weezings.[/spoiler]

Other Threats:
Jumpluff, Aerodactyl, Skarmory, Crobat, Gyarados, Xatu (Maybe), Scyther (Maybe), Dodrio (Maybe), Mantine (Maybe), Gligar (Maybe)

Well, considering Salamence, Charizard, Weezing all carries fireblast most of the times, and gengar usually has t-bolt, Skarms just wouldn't work.

Even if it could, what would a skarm do in an "airborne" tournament haha.

Crobat probably wouldn't work too well either, considering weezing completely walls it and gengar can win trades with psychic. 

The tourney seems to be about whichever mence/zard gets the first DD first wins. Most weezing can't take more than a few fire blasts (especially from a zard)

Well, considering Salamence, Charizard, Weezing all carries fireblast most of the times, and gengar usually has t-bolt, Skarms just wouldn't work.

Even if it could, what would a skarm do to an "airborne" tournament haha.

Crobat probably wouldn't work too well either, considering weezing completely walls it and gengar can win trades with psychic. 

I'm not doubting that at all, especially since spikes literally does nothing, but I mentioned him anyway, just to show how ridiculously good Salamence is at beating everything in this tournament.

I'm not doubting that at all, especially since spikes literally does nothing, but I mentioned him anyway, just to show how ridiculously good Salamence is at beating everything in this tournament.

Well..... Lunatone uses Icebeam!!!

Definitely has pretty good resistance for this kind of tourney as well, if you can overlook that base stats..

Resists flying, psychic, poison, normal, fire, (fighting), all commonly used by the candidates above.

Psychic/Icebeam/Calm mind/something

Well..... Lunatone uses Icebeam!!!

Definitely has pretty good resistance for this kind of tourney as well, if you can overlook that base stats..

Psychic/Icebeam/Calm mind/something

What resistances does Lunatone have, exactly? He doesn't resist Rock.

lunatone may pose as a possible shocker since it can eat a hit from gengar weezing or salamence and retaliate with ice beam or psychic

Lunatone could potentially risk being put to sleep by Gengar. Salamence could run an Endure set like I mentioned with a Liechi berry, and OHKO at 2+ assuming it Dragon Danced as you switched in. Weezing, sure, but Destiny Bond is still an issue.

Lunatone could potentially risk being put to sleep by Gengar. Salamence could run an Endure set like I mentioned with a Liechi berry, and OHKO at 2+ assuming it Dragon Danced as you switched in. Weezing, sure, but Destiny Bond is still an issue.

sleep lum or chesto

lunatone can sleep a salamence if it tried enduring, same with weezing if d bond

sleep lum or chesto

lunatone can sleep a salamence if it tried enduring, same with weezing if d bond

So, basically, Lunatone requires perfect prediction to be effective? I mean, you're not going to know he's gonna Endure until it's too late, and if it's a Lum Berry Salamence and not Salac, or you miss, GG. +1 Rock Slide still 2HKO's Lunatone, after all.

So, basically, Lunatone requires perfect prediction to be effective? I mean, you're not going to know he's gonna Endure until it's too late, and if it's a Lum Berry Salamence and not Salac, or you miss, GG. +1 Rock Slide still 2HKO's Lunatone, after all.

well... if someone does spend enough time to breed an endure salamence solely for this tournament and specifically for this situation, I'd say your lost with a lunatone is well served.

well... if someone does spend enough time to breed an endure salamence solely for this tournament and specifically for this situation, I'd say your lost with a lunatone is well served.

As if anyone would use a Lunatone for anything other than this tournament.

Guys... Its a fucking Shiny Pidgey. For once, I actually think its stupid to argue about the shitty gimmick tournament or even care about it.

>implying prize is really the sole reason people do official tourneys.

>looks at shiny hoppip FNFs

If you'd argue that this tournament is solely gimmick, maybe it's true. But then to others who have never played this game, the entire game is pure gimmicky. I mean no substitute, no legendaries in OU, no mean look passing, and back to one point I recall us not having any "gc tms", how much of this game is not a gimmick for you?