Friday Night Fifties [December Edition]

This post is directed to everyone wanting a 64 man tournament.

There is one big reason why this isn't a good idea.

It will take at least 4 hours to finish.

Think about it, the current OU meta is about switching walls into walls into walls...

The average 6v6 OU duel lasts 15-20 minutes at this rate.

The amount of duels in a 64 tournament (single elimination) is 32+16+8+4+2+1=63

With 8 referees: the first round  will take at least 4 (the amount of matches 1 ref does in r1) x 15 minutes (the avg time of a duel) = 1h

The second round will take 30 minutes (8 refs each do 2 duels).

The third round, fourth, fifth and sixth round will take 15 minutes each adding up to 1h.

The absolute minimum time this will take is 2h30 minutes under this best case scenario that doesn't include role calls and downtime between duels.

I'd dare to say that the role call will take about 20 minutes and the total downtime between duels (between all rounds) will add up to 1 hour.

So here you have it, a tournament that lasts nearly 4 hours.

Europeans will have to stay up till 4 am gmt. (Most of them are in the gmt+1 timezone so make that 5 am).

Personally, I think this isn't optimal to do, hence a 32 man tourny would be best. (A 32man tourny would take around 3 hours according to my calculations)

Tl;dr.

64 man tourny 6v6 OU woud take too long, starts at a really bad hour for europeans and is a bad idea.

Think about it, the current OU meta is about switching walls into walls into walls...

With 8 referees: the first round  will take at least 4 (the amount of matches 1 ref does in r1) x 15 minutes (the avg time of a duel) = 1h

The third round, fourth, fifth and sixth round will take 15 minutes each adding up to 1h.

The absolute minimum time this will take is 2h30 minutes under this best case scenario that doesn't include role calls and downtime between duels.

I'd dare to say that the role call will take about 20 minutes and the total downtime between duels (between all rounds) will add up to 1 hour.

Europeans will have to stay up till 4 am gmt. (Most of them are in the gmt+1 timezone so make that 5 am).

Personally, I think this isn't optimal to do, hence a 32 man tourny would be best. (A 32man tourny would take around 3 hours according to my calculations)

Tl;dr.

64 man tourny 6v6 OU woud take too long, starts at a really bad hour for europeans and is a bad idea.

1. Roll Call shouln't need to take 20 minutes. For a 64 man bracket, 10 minutes is enough, just be prepared for Roll Call beforehand.

2. If they did want a 64 man, it'd need to be with a lot more refs. (Last one was 5-6 hourswith 8-9 refs)

Tl;dr.

You didn't account for the fact that players who love competitive play are willing to wait that long.

just change the start time in all official tournaments.
in 90% of all tournys the start time is a pain in the ass for every european, especially weekdays, but 7pm edt on a friday is also horrible, im totally drunken at 5pm edt, guess how good im playing at 7pm or 3-4hours later if its 64man... ok thats my problem.
anyways, i guess we make up about 50% of the participants, think about it.