Design a Town Contest [Aug 31-Sept 28]

How isn't that plagiarizing :s

What I mean is that, so long as you do not submit an overworld view that is directly lifted from any existing Pokemon game, it is fine. In other words, if someone tries to submit the overworld view of Goldenrod City from HG/SS or G/S/C under the name of one of the cities in a custom region, they would be disqualified.

What I mean is that, so long as you do not submit an overworld view that is directly lifted from any existing Pokemon game, it is fine. In other words, if someone tries to submit the overworld view of Goldenrod City from HG/SS or G/S/C under the name of one of the cities in a custom region, they would be disqualified.

But using the pieces of the overworld/sprites isn't plagiarizing ? The rules are up to you of course but to me it doesn't seem like people are "creating their own town" if they're doing that. Just my opinion though! 

But using the pieces of the overworld/sprites isn't plagiarizing ? The rules are up to you of course but to me it doesn't seem like people are "creating their own town" if they're doing that. Just my opinion though! 

Let me give you an example to make it clearer.

Let's say someone decides to do Andromeda City as their entry and tries to use the exact overworld map from Goldenrod City. That would constitute plagiarism. However, if they were to take bits and pieces to create a distinctly different overworld view, that would be fine. The key is that the entry must be distinctly different from any already existing map. We will decide what is or is not distinctly different.

I understand what you mean. I still see that is plagiarism since you didn't create the sprites. The contest is called "create your own town" but it's based on towns already created and can be made from sprites already created. I guess I just thought it was something different.

It's your event though so they're your rules haha. It's not they I don't understand, I guess I was just stating my thoughts on it.

Let me give you an example to make it clearer.

Let's say someone decides to do Andromeda City as their entry and tries to use the exact overworld map from Goldenrod City. That would constitute plagiarism. However, if they were to take bits and pieces to create a distinctly different overworld view, that would be fine. The key is that the entry must be distinctly different from any already existing map. We will decide what is or is not distinctly different.

Thanks for the clarification! makes sooo much more sense now XD. My entry did use sprites from previous games and i was scared that it might be considered plagiarism. (my entry looks like an overhead view of a town from a gba rom but completely original and not in any game)

Do entries have to be done in a fashion similar to the pokemon games, or could I take a screen shot from an overhead from another game, such as Minecraft, and use that as a submission?

I ask because I am truly horrendous at bitmapping basically anything, I can't even properly shade a .bmp images like a shirt decently.

Do entries have to be done in a fashion similar to the pokemon games, or could I take a screen shot from an overhead from another game, such as Minecraft, and use that as a submission?

I ask because I am truly horrendous at bitmapping basically anything, I can't even properly shade a .bmp images like a shirt decently.

As long as you have created the work yourself, it's fine. If we find out the work has been lifted from someone else, you will be disqualified.

IGN: LeGaryOak

What did I pick?

I chose the depressed Hydrocast Cove from the Genso Region, here is the original description of the city along with a picture of the area of the city:

[spoiler]Hydrocast Cove (Hydrogen, Overcast)
Hydrocast Cove is a big town set in a depression at the foot of the waterfall, it produces a lot of the regions renewable energy and the townsfolk are an incredibly proud bunch. The only ways in are down the waterfall or to take the road from Neostorm Heights. Often misty and humid due to its enclosed nature, the occasional ghost Pokémon appear near the Hydro plant set along the fast flowing river.
P.O.I: Pokémon Centre, PokéMart, Hotel, and Gym.
Info: All the locals are worried due to the blockade by Anti-Pokémon protesters stopping anyone getting to the Cove.

Sk_rmbillede_2014_09_22_kl_23_23_57.png

[/spoiler]

Entry:

Now here is my entry not in a spoiler and then again in a spoiler with explanation of the city.

Hydrocast Cove!

Sk_rmbillede_2014_09_22_kl_23_22_39.png

[spoiler]Sk_rmbillede_2014_09_22_kl_23_22_39.png[/spoiler]

Disclaimer:

I started by spending some hours making rocks, buildings, decisions and shit like that(was more time consuming than I imagined), then started on the roads and Neostorm Hights and realized this would take 3215462576 hours to finish to make it look as amazing as the city probably is, so yea I brushed the roads and grass(and a few other things to speed it up), sorry about that. I got tired, however I might fix it up later on! ;) (If I get the time). 

:P

IGN : itzJOSH

City: Neostorm Heights from the Genso region by Deanopiero

[spoiler]Neostorm Heights (Neon, Thunderstorm)

This small town on a high plateau in the middle of the central mountain range is famous for its great/awful weather depending on who you speak to. The town is situated next to a lake that flows into a waterfall, and has an enclosed bridge linking to the entrance of Fissure Pass (the only way to reach the eastern towns on foot). It has become a local hotspot for Pokémon battles in the absence of a gym. Regular lightning strikes are drawn to the rod set atop the weather station just outside of town and create an impressive backdrop to the area.

P.O.I: Pokémon Centre, PokéMart, Battle Bridge.[/spoiler]

I chose to do Neostrom heights because of how unique it was. I wanted to exaggerate the weather in this map especially with the lightening. I chose to create the map in the 3rd gen style because that is my personal fave :3. Good luck to all!

My Entry:[spoiler]

Map

IFNed.jpg

Map with Labels

ZMLPO.jpg

[/spoiler]

IGN: Rootseed

My choice is Lithain Town of Genso's region by Deanopiero.

[spoiler]

LITHAIN TOWN

Located in the wetlands nestled under the shadow of the central mountain range, Lithain town sees a substantial amount of rain, that in itself keeps a lot of people away and as such this town has become a quiet retreat away from outside influence. It is quite a large place but does not seem busy like other towns, the optimistic gym leader has helped encouraged a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

P.O.I: Pokémon Centre, PokéMart, Gym, Social Centre

locLithain_zpsfb44e307.jpg

[/spoiler]
                                                       LITHAIN TOWN

LithiamcityRAINING1_zpsf998cfa1.jpg

ADDED DETAILS [spoiler]

INSIDE THE TOWN

Sign1_zpsaa4353d5.png Lithain Town
This is a little description and tour for the houses of Lithain Town and can also see the phrases of NPC says.

LithiamcityDescriptt_zps29561e42.jpg

Sign5_zps0ebd0143.png PokeCenter
 In_PC_zps3feae9c0.jpg

Young Boy: "I ran away from the Callipse Forest... ¡I think I saw a ghost!"

Sign6_zps37450b37.png PokeMart

In_PM_zps15608cb2.jpg

Grandpa: "Amaya is currently the only Gym Leader in Genso with a 100% win record"

Sign2_zps2447b0b3.png Social Center
  In_SocialC_zps2748f1ca.jpg
Bald Guy: "This social center was built to gather the town's people"

Fat Guy: "Our Gym leader Liah faced an enraged pokemon to protect us"
Boy: "Liah is the 'Soul' of the community, she is involved in every project she possibly can be and loves nothing more than helping her people."  
Girl: "!I love my Murkrow! because he loves the shinies as i do"
Murkrow:"¡Murrrkrow! ¡Murkrow!"

Sign4_zpscd77d7dd.png Liah House
 In_LIAHOUSE_zps8766ce1b.jpg
Grandma: "Liah had a bad accident a few months ago, she needs to rest"

Liah: "... ... ..."

Sign3_zpsd72a9f2e.png  LITHAIN GYM 

Gym #5: Lithain Town - Gym Leader: Liah. STAND-IN: Amaya (Dark/Poison Type, Corrosion Badge)

Liah is tall and confident with blonde hair and light green eyes, aged 34 years old. She has lived in Lithain Town most of her life and is known as the “Soul” of the community, she is involved in every project 
she possibly can be and loves nothing more than helping her people. A well-loved and highly respected Gym Leader, her matches have always been close, be it win or lose. The only one-sided match was when she lost her first challenge to Amaya.

Amaya is pale skinned with jet-black hair and piercing green eyes, aged 20 years old. She moved to Lithain Town 5years ago just as the league was starting up, she disliked the hustle and bustle it was causing in many of the other towns and wanted to be somewhere she could relax. She loves rain and it rains a lot here.  A talented trainer, she could have gone on to compete in the Pokémon League, however she just wants a quiet simple life and her only badge to date remains the Corrosion Badge (she was the first to defeat the Lithain Gym when it opened).

When the Liah had a bad accident a few months ago defending the bridge just outside of town from Enraged Pokémon, Amaya offered to step in temporarily to repay her kindness in helping her settle into the town. Amaya is currently the only Gym Leader in Genso with a 100% win record.

This small maze smells like corrosion, its walls are slippery and leave a sticky substance on hands if they are touched. There is a gloomy, grim and creep atmosphere and the place is very dark.
Must be use the HM Flash to see the entire room of that Gym.

In_GYM_zpsd9531014.jpg                         Lithainbadge_zps2a1944a8.pngCorrosion Badge

Recepcionist: "The power of the new Gym leader makes me afraid..."

Tamer Liam: "Ah! a brave trainer... ¿are you ready to confront the darkness?"     Team: Poochiena, Houndour

Lass Sussette: "Amaya loves rain, and here its rains a lot"                                    Team: Ekans, Murkrow

Gym Leader Amaya: “…Hmmm? Oh! Sorry I was enjoying the quiet. My name is Amaya, steward of this Gym whilst Liah recovers from injury.  Challenges have been fewer since the bridge was destroyed; you are the second today however.  I must warn you I am unbeaten, the darkness helps. Will you push me towards defeat?” Team: Houndoom, Absol, Umbreon, Mightyena

[/spoiler]

I used for create Lithain Town the tool appoints "Advance Map" to do the structure of the village and houses, then I made use of a raster graphic editor for change colors and adjust it as a whole.
I know isn't necesary do the inside of the houses but anyways I enjoyed too much when I did it and I also hope you enjoy it when you'll see it  B)

-Msh00

Town Creator: Turkeydragon

Town: Monument in the Genso Region

Town description by region creator: "A place where trainers meet to battle, and gaze at the monument of the very first Genso League champion for inspiration."

vni98k.jpg[spoiler]flzubl.jpg[/spoiler]

Highlights

3 Battle Courts: A blue, yellow, and red battle court. For tournaments Staff can direct players to a specific color court to begin their match. All spectators stand around the courts to spectate. For non tournament competitive play, players go to the courts to find their matches standing there waiting for a battle.

Pond/Statue: A monument to the first Genso League Champion that looks down upon the battle courts, and the players fishing Pokemon below him. 

Old Mans House/Tutor: The Old Man's dialog reads, "I have gained so much knowledge through my years as a Pokemon trainer. I now stay in Monument to pass everything I learned onto the next generation of Pokemon Trainers." The Old Man can teach your Pokemon moves. Some of the items around his house make him seem very familiar. 

Clan Hall: The clan hall is where clans can go to hold meetings, chat, and plan for future events in a conference room, and the hang out room. People can also come into Clan hall in search for a new clan to be recruited in to. Outside of Clan Hall is a nice, clean relaxing area, and on the other side, tall grass where you can train and EV with your friends and clan members. 

PC/Mart: The PokeCenter and PokeMart provide all trainer needs. All the berries and supplies you need. They will quickly heal your Pokemon so you can return to battle on the courts! 

Monument is the mecca for competitive players, and players that love to hang out. There are plenty of ways to interact with people in Monument. Why sit, battle, and fish in Viridian, when you can do it in a town that is designed for it! 

Storyline: The first time you enter Monument, you are met by your rival. He says, "You are at Monument?! That can only mean you are here for one reason. Follow me!" He then leads you to the battle courts, "I've been battling all day, time to continue my win streak." After you demolish him, he says, "I guess you are ready for Monument…Maybe one day they will build a statue of you here. YA RIGHT!"

Notes: I created this town in photoshop using sprites from Fire Red. Some of the structures were altered and you would never find them in any Pokemon Game (Clan house, Battle Courts, Statue, Entry Gate, Picture on Old Mans Wall). I made a giant square of grass as my base to start on, then built this town entirely from scratch. No generator or program besides photoshop. I had the idea for this town before this contest even started, then when I found Monument, it 100% fit exactly what I already wanted to do in my head. So I built the town based on the regions definition, with my own concept applied as well.