EV Frontier

Robofiend

Question

It's time for my monthly plea to the devs: please fix EV training. A new angle to go with/in place of my previous ideas:

I don't know if the devs realize that I (and probably a lot of other people) train a lot of my pokemon by payday spamming EVs and then VS. Seeker spamming the same trainers over and over until they are safe to throw in the daycare to get them to lvl 50 without losing all their moves. I think it'd be much more "canon" to create a method that encourages me to actually use the pokemon I breed against NPCs rather than raise them almost entirely with exp. share.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a place you could go to train your pokemon that had some incentive over mindlessly battling trainers? My suggestion is to create such a place and properly incentivize it to make it viable for EV training - without resorting to numerous band-aids like lower vitamin cost, etc.

Proposition: 

Create an area with 6 separate arenas which a player may enter once daily (maybe twice) to train a pokemon in a given stat. Once the player completes a given area, they should have 252 EVs in that stat. The process should take between 30m-1h to complete, depending on the power, current evs, moveset, etc. of the pokemon being trained. Rules:

1. Trainers carry only pokemon who give a certain EV. Multiply the EV output by some number (probably 2 or 3) so that pokemon don't need to hold Macho Brace to battle. This is to prevent players from having to constantly revive their pokes who get killed from being too slow. Also, consider an exp. boost because otherwise the EV trained pokes are just going in the daycare anyway. You might as well combine more interesting leveling + more interesting EV play into one product.

2. A player can have 1 pokemon in their party at a time while in this area. Pokemon levels should scale to the level of the pokemon being trained to provide a consistent challenge without being overwhelming. If a player blacks out in battle they may return to battle again (this is to prevent me going into battle and then getting walled by something my opponent has and needing to switch up the moveset real quick with a TM). Players can also skip trainers if they'd rather not face them, but they miss out on the EVs.

3. Limit the number of trainers in this area so that a player can train at best one or two pokemon per day in that stat. Optimize the number of trainers so that you need to complete ~10 battles (vs. team of five opponents) to completely train a pokemon in that stat. Again, this shouldn't take 3 hours to do, it should be pretty fast/fun, unlike the current system.

4. Implement my other suggestions (EV inheritance/redistribution) to make the EV system more flexible in general:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/51247-ev-inheritance/

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/55244-ev-sliders/

This idea introduces a much needed "daily quest" to PokeMMO with real payouts that players will use. There really are no downsides (assuming the system's reasonably resistant against some exploits I may have missed) to getting rid of the current EV training in favor of something that is at least mildly interesting. 

For pokes that are hard to train (e.g. Wynaut), traditional EVs/vitamins would still be an option

Edited by Robofiend

1 answer to this question

I kinda see where this is going, it sounds pretty cool.

Maybe something like specific Dojos for each EV could work as well. Where it's got a few trainers and a master who all use pokes that give a specific EV and you can battle them using the VS Seeker. The reward for beating the trainers and the master could be maybe 5 vitamins as well to help with the EV training. 

Also you could have a wild poke section so like for the Sp Att Dojo there's wild Gengar so each encounter will get you +3 EV's. However these pokes should remain uncatchable or if that isn't possible make these places only accessible after defeating both E4's.

+1 for your idea though with a few tweaks.