Rare Drops

Xatu

Question

Rare drops are an integral aspect of MMO gaming. The new update allows us to randomly receive certain useful items. I love this feature and its reflection of the mmo environment.

My suggestion is to have the mons have a very very low chance of dropping very rare valuable items. This idea could have a good place in a "loot chest" after clearing the future legendary dungeons. With it having a chance to have a valuable item like a lucky egg or a choice band or even big nugget on the small scale. On regular mons the rate of getting these drops could rival shinies. Or 0.0001% every battle. While in the crates it would be like 1/10 for a lucky egg.

Edited by Xatu

3 answers to this question

If we make the assumption that the average (in average circumstances since we know that shiny encounter rates are dynamic) was say for instance:

1/30,000

A loot chest containing something akin to a "Turn a pokemon shiny" would have to be far far rarer than that, and statically rarer than that. It would probably need to be in the realm of 1/300,000. Because you could breed a competitive rare pokemon with egg moves and turn that shiny and simply remove the functionality of shiny breeding if the potion was too common, so it would need to be that rare.

If a loot chest was implemented, I would imagine that it would probably be Pickup exclusive at a rare chance and be area dependant, with different locations giving different types of drops.

eg: Pattern Bush has a 1/75 chance on successful pickup to find a Infest Chest, which would have items for that pool.
      Pokemon Tower 1/75, Spooky chest

Icefall Cave 1/75, Frozen chest, etc etc

Another alternative possibly to the idea of Shiny Potions would be that they would be more common, however, there are different potions found in different chests, so for instance the Infested Chest's Shiny potion would only allow you to turn a Bug type (Or Bug egg group? not sure if type or egg group is more balanced) shiny.

If I were to imagine, I feel like chests would have a general drop table shared in large part between them similar to:

1. "You found Gold within the Chest!" X amount of Nuggets (Its a rare chest drop so it would be a few, like 5 - 7 maybe
  2. "You found Medical Supplies within the Chest!" Some full restores, a max revive, a full heal, some hyper potions or something.
  3. "You found some Dye!" some dyes that are coloured to thematically match the chest, Olive for Infested chest (bug type) or Blue for water etc?
  4. "You found a stash of Berries!"  Some rare berries, some seeds, roughly 10-20 berries and 20~ seeds? Colour(Flavour?) themed.
  5. "You found an old training Kit!" A macho brace (would now be renewable) and some Vitamins
  6. "You found some Rare items!" 2,3, or 4 of a rare item in that pickup table (eg Silk Scarves, Blackbelts, Leftovers) or a PvP item; Choice Bands
  7. "You found a Shiny Potion!!!" Ultra ultra SSS tier rare within the chest, a potion that would only work on pokemon of similar theme to the chest.

Thoughts?

Edited by Matoka