Allow Creation of Replays for Non-Tournament PVP matches

Gunthug

Question

So there was a huge PSL match today - Krillin v Mnemosyne. Unfortunately for me, I logged on about 5 minutes after it ended, and have no way of rewatching the action (short of someone recording the gameplay from their computer, which is a rarity.) Wouldn't it be nice if replays could be created from regular duels? I'm thinking either before, or ideally after, a duel is completed, one or both players could be prompted with the option to save the replay.

Perhaps, each player could store a certain amount of replays for anyone to view. Alternatively, all saved replays could be teleported to a "replay hub" which could be accessible from the PC, and would simply host all replays "saved" via this method. You'd be able to sort them by time, length, tier, etc. This isn't all that different than what the tournament replays interface already does, and it allows unofficial tournaments the luxury of recording gameplay.

Pros: Allows for people who aren't online at the time of a big match to watch the action, much like in tournaments (where replays are saved). This has countless uses - will also benefit the tier council by giving them more high quality matches with which to make observations about the metagame.

Cons: does give people a better ability to scout their opponent from week to week, but this is something that already exists and is pretty much unavoidable. Also, this may take some additional, difficult coding, I'm not sure

2 answers to this question

On 8/22/2017 at 3:12 PM, notmudkip0 said:

I would like having our own "Vs. Recorder" type item/function. I wonder, would all replays be uploaded instantly to PC or would the user have a choice to?

I could see the option to keep your own stash of replays, like a "my collection" sort of thing. It may be more trouble coding wise than it's worth though - most of the time if you are willing to save a replay you're basically waiving your privacy over that battle anyway. I do think both players should have to approve a request to save replay, though. This can save unwanted replays from making it to the public