Make "Advanced Search" actually advanced

wafflesnorlax

Question

The current "advanced search" feature in boxes/GTL/etc. is, as my title might imply, not actually that advanced. Currently, you can only filter by level, nature, shinyness, and min/max ivs per stat -- features that seem to have been made with only breeders in mind. I'll suggest the following system to remedy this:

- The most powerful system I can think of is a text-based query system; if you're familiar with showdown, think of its /ds command.

- Allow filtering with pretty much any filter that might be useful - for example, total iv, moves/egg moves, ability, etc.

- Allow AND and OR operations; you could use "|" as an OR operator and "," as an AND, with parentheses for grouping, or use different characters.

- Allow mathematical operations along with the features; pretty much any operation the pokeMMO programming language can support.

- Allow advanced filtering specifications as well.

I'll use a hypothetical search as an example: say I'm looking for a physically offensive sand setter to use in the story. I want it to have good IVs, but other than attack, i dont care about specific values. I could search this with the following:

((pokemon line tyranitar, egg dragon dance) | pokemon line hippowdon), 30 <= level <= 60, totaliv - spaiv >= 100, atkiv >= 25, nature +atk, !nature -spe,  sort price asc.

This would give me a list of pokemon in either the tyranitar or hippowdon evolution lines, with the tyranitar line mons having DD as an egg move, with level between 30 and 60, a total iv (minus special attack IV because that doesn't matter) of at least 100 out of 160-ish, an attack iv of at least 25, a nature that boosts attack and doesnt lower speed, all sorted by price ascending. Obviously you don't have to be nearly this specific, but this example shows how the query system would be infinitely more powerful than the current. Also, you could proccess searches on client side, and keep the current system as a "search" button, with this as an "advanced search" button no one needs to touch if they dont want to. Of course, provide docs so that people can ignore them and flood chat with questions understand how the system works.

Edited by wafflesnorlax

5 answers to this question

Id also like to mention that & or && could be used as an AND character, like with JS, although commas make it feel like you're adding multiple filters so those are also good to include. Also, some filters that could/should be included:
type; eg. type psychic

moves; eg. move psychic

- learnable moves; eg. learn surf & learn fly

> learnable moves could also include relearnable egg moves

- base stat; eg. baseatk >= 130

- actual stat; eg. atk >= 50

- EV; eg. atkev = 255

- pokedex/region/gen; eg. 100 <= dex <= 200 OR region hoenn OR gen 4

- whatever else someone might want to filter for

Edited by wafflesnorlax

Even though a little bit elaborated, I support the need for an "advanced search" more advanced.
Due the increasing market value of old pokemon (2012/2013 or so), I would add also the possibility to choose the year of the pokemon