Pumpking Hard Mode Strategy 2022

Bertolfoso

31 minutes ago, sangliernova said:

Capture d'écran_9.thumb.png.289db6605fee059a30866050c0699a42.pnghello I read all that was written and suddenly I'm completely lost! because I follow the video you made but I die more often than I win so I don't understand! can you help me? thank you

I can guide you through a run if you want, send me a mail or a private message here and we'll organize

Hey Bert, if I get a Thief in the final phase and heal Weezing then use Snarl and it happens to miss the boss (Keeping him at yellow HP), is there a way to still win with only 4 members? I tried Krook with Guard Spec and X Atk but it wasn't enough in the end.  Do you recommend Chandelure as a 5th member when this happens and how would you go about it? It's rare that this happens mind you, usually either no Thief or the Snarl will hit the boss but still.

3 hours ago, toddkman said:

when do you use cat cookie during 3rd phase?

You could use it at the last part after the swap I'm guessing? +1 x attack and cookie should kill him with Krook if you damaged him with Snarl and left him red before the swap. I'll test now. I also recommend using focus slashes on your two particle mons. 

EDIT: After the swap, Dark pulse+Assurance Krok+ Cat cookie does indeed kill but only if you hit him with Snarl before the swap. I recommend Xacc > Xspec if you're still on +4 Spatk at the time before the swap. 

Assuming if Hydro dies, Krok+xatk+Cat cookie should also work.

If you're -4 speed BEFORE the swap then a cat cookie > xspatk/xacc seems the way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong though, still testing.

Edited by Leeges
8 hours ago, Leeges said:

Hey Bert, if I get a Thief in the final phase and heal Weezing then use Snarl and it happens to miss the boss (Keeping him at yellow HP), is there a way to still win with only 4 members? I tried Krook with Guard Spec and X Atk but it wasn't enough in the end.  Do you recommend Chandelure as a 5th member when this happens and how would you go about it? It's rare that this happens mind you, usually either no Thief or the Snarl will hit the boss but still.

I would need more information in this situation (Are other members alive? How much hp? there's a big difference from 49 to 26), but in the end it's impossible for me to show off every possible scenario, there are way too many variables. 

Number of party members matters, obviously the more you bring, the safer it will be, but lately I've been running only 3 mons (Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Weezing) and I've yet to lose to phase 3 (8 battles in a row). How you manage phase 3 and items is the skillful part of the boss fight and you can usually always win (if no actual terrible RNG but that's extremely rare).

6 hours ago, toddkman said:

Whats the point of the krookodile if hes not fast enough to out speed pumpking?

Krook is just back up as a strong hitter/pokemon that doesn't die in 1 hit.

6 hours ago, toddkman said:

when do you use cat cookie during 3rd phase?

Cat cookie is often not needed, but you would use it after the 3rd turn, when you need to finish the boss off. You might get a situation where you can KO the boss on the 3rd turn, but you would need to be quite lucky (no bad stat drops, no priority minions/lil pump, no misses before) and you shouldnt need Cat cookie anyways here, as Assurance + Snarl + xAccuracy should guarantee the win (ONLY IN THIS SITUATION). 

6 hours ago, Bertolfoso said:

I would need more information in this situation (Are other members alive? How much hp? there's a big difference from 49 to 26), but in the end it's impossible for me to show off every possible scenario, there are way too many variables. 

I really only lose now when the final Snarl misses the boss and I can't use X acc due to RNG, he has way too much HP

I got this down pretty much perfect now thanks to your help but very rarely Hydro gets hit by Vaccum wave during the 1 HP phase, I'm just wondering what the targeting is based on.. is it the Mon with highest Def? Thanks again.

Hey Bert! Awesome guide dude, thanks for all the help you provide! I wanted to ask you about the turn 2 of phase 3 and the x boosts. You mention in the guide depending on what stat will fall on hydreigon will use either x Attack on Tyr or x Accuracy on Hydreigon. Could you cover all the possibilities of fallen stats? For me on my first run now i got Speed fell and i m kinda stuck 😛 dont know what to do

37 minutes ago, MrLemoni said:

Hey Bert! Awesome guide dude, thanks for all the help you provide! I wanted to ask you about the turn 2 of phase 3 and the x boosts. You mention in the guide depending on what stat will fall on hydreigon will use either x Attack on Tyr or x Accuracy on Hydreigon. Could you cover all the possibilities of fallen stats? For me on my first run now i got Speed fell and i m kinda stuck 😛 dont know what to do

I found that if you don't x attack Tyr on turn 2, Hydro will die to Phantom strike even after Weezing/Tyr die to Priority.. wonder if anybody can confirm this? Driving me nuts. I think Phantom strike is speed based and not +1 though so many that is my problem. You can use cat cookie at turn 3 during the 1 HP phase as opposed to Turn 2 but I don't no which is better. My confusion is that even at -2 speed as Timid Hydro, I avoided Phantom strike last night once I did x attack on Tyr which led me to believe you don't need Cat cookie unless -3 or -4 speed, now I'm not sure.

Edited by Leeges
1 hour ago, Leeges said:

I got this down pretty much perfect now thanks to your help but very rarely Hydro gets hit by Vaccum wave during the 1 HP phase, I'm just wondering what the targeting is based on.. is it the Mon with highest Def? Thanks again.

I can't know for sure, and this is just a theory, but I think the AI prefers to KO the pokemon that resists the hit "more"/take less damage when choosing a target. For example when Pumprincess is on Hydreigon-Weezing side she always Vacuum Waves Weezing (resited hit over super effective) and Pumpking always hits Weezing with Phantom Strike (most physically bulky pokemon in the team). I repeat this is only something I've observed and it will probably be proven false very quickly. 

30 minutes ago, MrLemoni said:

If you get -Speed you have to xSpeed Hydreigon, which lets you get the Assurance boost, but also be fast for the next turn (hoping that you don't get it again...).

If you get -SpDef it's usually fine, but you might watch out for Pumprincess (either heal to full or use xSpDef, the first option is usually better, and don't boost Sp.Def. on turn 3).

-Atk and -Def I usually ignore, while -Sp.Atk. I try to boost back most of the times (you need +4 for Pumpaladin and Pumpmage, the other should go down to a +2 Snarl).

19 minutes ago, Leeges said:

I found that if you don't x attack Tyr on turn 2, Hydro will die to Phantom strike even after Weezing/Tyr die to Priority.. wonder if anybody can confirm this? Driving me nuts. I think Phantom strike is speed based and not +1 though so many that is my problem. You can use cat cookie at turn 3 during the 1 HP phase as opposed to Turn 2 but I don't no which is better.

Hydreigon gets targetted by Phantom Strike only if Weezing dies to priority, as the original target of the move (Weezing) is KO'd the attack goes to the adjecent opponent. Speed (or attack) does not play a role into the (original) targetting. If Weezing can die to priority heal it so that it can tank the priority move and then still be Phantom Strike bait.

23 minutes ago, Bertolfoso said:

I can't know for sure, and this is just a theory, but I think the AI prefers to KO the pokemon that resists the hit "more"/take less damage when choosing a target. For example when Pumprincess is on Hydreigon-Weezing side she always Vacuum Waves Weezing (resited hit over super effective) and Pumpking always hits Weezing with Phantom Strike (most physically bulky pokemon in the team). I repeat this is only something I've observed and it will probably be proven false very quickly. 

If you get -Speed you have to xSpeed Hydreigon, which lets you get the Assurance boost, but also be fast for the next turn (hoping that you don't get it again...).

If you get -SpDef it's usually fine, but you might watch out for Pumprincess (either heal to full or use xSpDef, the first option is usually better, and don't boost Sp.Def. on turn 3).

-Atk and -Def I usually ignore, while -Sp.Atk. I try to boost back most of the times (you need +4 for Pumpaladin and Pumpmage, the other should go down to a +2 Snarl).

Hydreigon gets targetted by Phantom Strike only if Weezing dies to priority, as the original target of the move (Weezing) is KO'd the attack goes to the adjecent opponent. Speed (or attack) does not play a role into the (original) targetting. If Weezing can die to priority heal it so that it can tank the priority move and then still be Phantom Strike bait.

My last run I had no speed debuff and Weezing died to Priority to Pum Prince but I was still able to get a snarl off and win with Krook/Chand but if I healed weezing, Hydro would of survived for the final part? And last question if true, can a Punkin cookie be enough to heal both in this case or do I need double root? Thanks again!

Edited by Leeges
54 minutes ago, Leeges said:

My last run I had no speed debuff and Weezing died to Priority to Pum Prince but I was still able to get a snarl off and win with Krook/Chand but if I healed weezing, Hydro would of survived for the final part? And last question if true, can a Punkin cookie be enough to heal both in this case or do I need double root? Thanks again!

If the other minion was not Pumprincess and you healed Weezing, Hydreigon would have surived, yes. Sometimes Pumpkin Cookie can be used to be safe, or you can be "riskier" like you were to save money, but it's usually fine if Hydreigon dies if you have back up. 

1 hour ago, Bertolfoso said:

If the other minion was not Pumprincess and you healed Weezing, Hydreigon would have surived, yes. Sometimes Pumpkin Cookie can be used to be safe, or you can be "riskier" like you were to save money, but it's usually fine if Hydreigon dies if you have back up. 

Thanks no longer suffering from Phantom strike, was driving me mad lol. Legend,

• 11 months later...