Bulky Offense Team Help!

Edit: version 1.1: https://pokepast.es/a84cdcc8508ab4c4

Edit: version 1.2: https://pokepast.es/614abf0924d64219

Edit: version 1.3: https://pokepast.es/dbe4ade12e0c3a78

Edit: version 1.4: https://pokepast.es/61551695270c223a

Hey there folks! First time poster here, with the large majority of my limited PvP experience coming from Gen 8 OU/UU and Random Battles.

This is my first team build on PokéMMO; I was shooting for a bulky-offense situation but I'm sure there are many improvements to be made. Please, let me know if this is the right place to post for advice, or if I formatted this post incorrectly. This team was pretty much slapped together as an educated guess, based off sample-sets and team-building advice I read on these forums. Here's the paste: https://pokepast.es/844f4d55dbfdd3b0

Team/Roles:
Excadrill as my hazard-setter and remover. May use as a lead primarily, unless I have trouble safely setting rocks or spinning hazards away throughout the game.

Underminer (Excadrill) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 SpA
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Reuniclus as my stallbreaker/wallbreaker. With Psyshock I can act as a pseudo-mixed breaker as well.

Jelly Baby (Reuniclus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 0252 Def / 6 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Breloom is my physical wallbreaker. Banded+Adamant for maximum damage output with Mach Punch priority when needed.

Goombario (Breloom) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 SpA
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Seed

Hydregion as a mixed wallbreaker, and Taunt to disrupt setups and the like.

Bad Company (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Naive Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Superpower
- Taunt

Gengar as a special wallbreaker, hopefully able to safety bring in on a Fighting move so I can get off a Nasty Plot before my Salac Berry procs.

Puffdaddy (Gengar) (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Endure
- Nasty Plot

Magnezone as a scarfed cleaner, hopefully able to outspeed and/or finish off any weakened threats, or pivot out with Volt Switch.

Meep-Morp (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Hopefully this all makes some sort of cohesive sense, as on paper I should be able to swap around where needed with smart plays. Again, however, I haven't had any experience with PvP in PokéMMO/Gen 5 in general, so I'm sure there are large holes in the team where improvements/substitutions can be made.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Edited by DeadRedHead
added sets for full clarity

Hello, you have a nice team :), I like the Salac Berry Gengar touch 😉

I'm returning to the game after 3 months of no playing so I'm not up to date with the current META but I think a Garchomp could 1 vs 4 (gengar, magnezone, excadrill, hydreigon), and Breloom-Reuni are not true answers to him.

Also a rain team will be really hard to beat.

Maybe add an ice move? And some sort of status (really useful for BO).

4 hours ago, Ramallero said:

Hello, you have a nice team :), I like the Salac Berry Gengar touch 😉

I'm returning to the game after 3 months of no playing so I'm not up to date with the current META but I think a Garchomp could 1 vs 4 (gengar, magnezone, excadrill, hydreigon), and Breloom-Reuni are not true answers to him.

Also a rain team will be really hard to beat.

Maybe add an ice move? And some sort of status (really useful for BO).

Hey there, thanks for the reply!

It looks like Garchomp is the most pressing issue. Will adding an Ice move somewhere suffice, or should I look to swap out a member of my team entirely? To defend against Rain seems a little more daunting; I feel swapping something out would be better for that. Maybe I should add my own Rain abuser and give it some sort of Ice move to strengthen both of those weaknesses simultaneously?

E: Also I should add that after crafting this team, Hydregion gained access to Draco Meteor. I've since thought about making the following changes
(thoughts before receiving your input):

• Swapping Dragon Pulse for Draco Meteor on Hydregion, making it Timid and giving it Specs instead of LO
• Possibly giving Hydregion Zone's Scarf, in which case I would -
•  - take Scarf off Zone and redo it to make it a bulky AG set.

If I were to make Hydregion my Scarfer, I could remove Zone altogether and use that slot to fill in your suggestions!

Edited by DeadRedHead

Here's an updated version: https://pokepast.es/a84cdcc8508ab4c4

Changes:
• Hydregion set updated to Specs with alternate moves/Nature. Now a special wallbreaker, with the ability to pivot.
• Gengar got the LO (so sorry Salac, maybe that set worked better though?) and swapped Endure for HP-Ice to help against the Garchomp threat.
• Replaced Magnezone with Golduck, based on some interesting anti-weather ideas. Golduck receives the Scarf to act as an anti-weather revenge killer; thanks to C9 should outspeed Rain/Sand/Sun abusers, but I'm not sure if 252 Spe EVs are necessary with my limited knowledge on speed tiers and common threats.

Hopefully that's a nice improvement, though I did not manage to squeeze in any status moves. More advice/critique would be most appreciated!

Edit: v1.2 update: https://pokepast.es/614abf0924d64219

• Swapped out Excadrill for Gliscor, allowing for status+rocks in one role but losing the role as a spinner

• Moved Sash to Gengar

Edit: v1.3 update: https://pokepast.es/dbe4ade12e0c3a78

• Replaced Gengar with Metagross; Dragon resist and lives a Banded EQ from Chomp and can chance a 1HKO with Ice Punch
• Gave Stealth Rocks to Metagross and swapped out Rocks for Defog on Gliscor
• Gave Reuniclus a LO so Metagross could hold Leftovers

Edited by DeadRedHead

Wow you put a lot of work here! Looks solid 🙂

Just a few questions:

1- Zen Headbutt is to hit Amoongus? Rock Tomb could be good too, recives bonus from Technician and gives great coverage against Flying-Fire-Bug. And lowers the enemy speed by 1

2-Are you sure Golduck beats rain? I don't see him winning a 1v1 against Modest Kingdra. Remember that Cloud Nine only nullifies the effects of the rain while the mon is on the field, so if he is forced to swap or dies the rain continues.

3- What the EVs on Gliscor do? Just curious about this one 🙂

Edited by Ramallero
On 11/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, Ramallero said:

Wow you put a lot of work here! Looks solid 🙂

Just a few questions:

1- Zen Headbutt is to hit Amoongus? Rock Tomb could be good too, recives bonus from Technician and gives great coverage against Flying-Fire-Bug. And lowers the enemy speed by 1

2-Are you sure Golduck beats rain? I don't see him winning a 1v1 against Modest Kingdra. Remember that Cloud Nine only nullifies the effects of the rain while the mon is on the field, so if he is forced to swap or dies the rain continues.

3- What the EVs on Gliscor do? Just curious about this one 🙂

Hahahaha thanks, I went sort of crazy with it over the past few days. Like I mentioned earlier though I'm not really sure what the meta/threads look like; I'm grabbing sets from these forums, checking offensive/defensive coverages on paper and doing my best to decipher the PvP statistics.

1.) Zen Headbutt I thought was to cover Breloom's Poison weakness, but Rock Tomb with Technician seems much smarter, covering more weaknesses and giving some speed control.

2.) I'm really unsure about the Golduck thing in general, it just seemed like a neat idea. In practice though I'm not sure it has enough power to break or revenge kill as I'd hope it could. I'll replace it with that Jellicent set suggested by the post below yours.

3.) Not sure! Again, I just grabbed this set off the forums lol I read it as a bulky mixed set, instead of leaning more towards physical defense, but perhaps that's what I should be doing.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:28 AM, CaptnBaklava said:

You could use Jellicent to stop Garchamp and rain. 

Don't have the EVs in my head right now but enoughHP and SpD to survive 2 specs dragon pulse from Kingdra 12 Speed EVs and rest into Defense. 

Bold Nature 

Cursed body 

Will o whisp

Scald

Recover 

Taunt 

How's this set look?

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpA / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Jellicent: 90-106 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

With a Calm Nature and full HP investment I don't need and SpD EVs to live 2 Dragon Pulse hits (with Leftovers), and 84 Spe EVs gives me a stat of 91 (then the rest into SpA)

Edit: v1.4: https://pokepast.es/61551695270c223a

Edited by DeadRedHead
  • 2 months later...