[TOOL] MonTally - Pokémon Encounter Counter with Shiny Odds Estimation | v1.4.4

Square310x310-Logo.png

MonTally | Pokémon encounter counter with shiny odds.

PokéMMO Encounter Counter: Simplifying your Pokémon counting experience.
Report Bug · Request Feature

About The Project

MonTally allows you to keep track of your Pokémon encounters and provides an estimate of shiny odds. MonTally simplifies the counting experience.

Feel free to contribute to the project with suggestions, or ideas!

Preview of MonTally:

1.png 4.png 2.png 3.png 5.png

Getting Started

Prerequisites

• Windows 10 or more.

Installation

1. Download MonTally from [HERE].
  2. Navigate to the settings and configure MonTally according to your preferences.
  3. Open your PokéMMO game.
  4. Ensure that you are using Windows 10 or a later version.

When running the Installer of MonTally application, you may encounter a message indicating that the application is not signed. This is a common occurrence for unsigned software. Follow these steps to proceed securely:

1. Upon seeing the "application not signed" message, click on "More Info."
  2. Look for the option that allows you to continue or run the application despite the lack of a digital signature.
  3. Click on "Run Anyway" to initiate the application safely.

This message is a standard security caution, and by following these steps, you can confidently launch the MonTally application.

wdf1.png   wdf2.png

Usage

MonTally is designed to be flexible and user-friendly. Here's a simple guide on how to use it:

1. Launch the MonTally application.
  2. Access the settings to customize Pokémon detection:
    • Automatic Mode: MonTally will effortlessly detect and log all encountered Pokémon automatically.
    • Manual Mode: Users can select specific Pokémon to track, providing more control over the counting process.
  3. Ensure that the game is running, and there are no obstructions blocking Pokémon names.
  4. For the best experience in games like PokeMMO, consider the following recommendation:
    • In the game settings, go to Interface settings.
    • Enable "Always Show Battle HUD" to ensure accurate Pokémon detection and logging during battles.
    • In the game settings, go to Video settings.
    • Disable "Show Battle Background" to ensure accurate Pokémon detection and logging during battles.
  5. Begin seamlessly counting and tracking your Pokémon encounters!

Known Bugs

Despite its robust functionality, MonTally may encounter certain issues. Here is a list of known bugs and possible solutions:

1. Issue: Doesn't detect Pokémon on other screens.

• Solution: Play Pokémon on the main screen to ensure accurate detection.
  2. Issue: Incorrect Pokémon Count

• Description: The MonTally application occasionally exhibits inaccurate counts, especially during initial usage. The counts may either be higher or lower than the actual number of Pokémon encountered.
    • Solution: Actively use the application; as more encounters are recorded, the counting accuracy tends to improve.
  3. Issue: Unintended Pokémon Detection in Inventory.

• Description: MonTally is erroneously detecting Pokémon when browsing Pokémon in the backpack or other locations.
    • Solution: Temporarily disable the counter in the settings during these specific moments. Alternatively, consider not placing Pokémon in the upper half of the screen.

Please note that we are continuously working to improve the application and address these issues. If you come across any additional bugs, feel free to report them so that we can continue enhancing the MonTally experience.

Roadmap

Key Features:

•  Pokémon encounter tracking.
  •  Shiny odds estimation.
  •  Versatile Scenario Detection.
    •  Individual encounters.
    •  Double encounters.
    •  Hordes encounters.
  •  Compatibility with both PokéMMO and Pokémon Revolution Online.
  •  User-selectable Detection Modes:
    •  Automatic Mode: MonTally detects and logs encountered Pokémon automatically.
    •  Manual Mode: Users can choose specific Pokémon to track, providing more control.
  •  Detailed Pokémon Information:
    •  Users can view comprehensive information about Pokémon by clicking on their names or images.
    •  Information includes shiny ratio, types, locations, statistics, capture rate in wild encounters, and more.
  •  Extreme Detection Mode:
    •  Experience heightened sensitivity for Pokémon detection with the Extreme Detection Mode, ensuring accuracy in various gameplay scenarios.
  •  Auto-updates: Stay current with the latest features and improvements effortlessly.
  •  Turbo Mode:
    •  Turbo mode added for enhanced performance.
  •  Debug Mode:
    •  Debug mode added for easier issue identification.
  •  ON/OFF Mode:
    •  ON/OFF mode introduced for customizable functionality.
  •  Reset Counters:
    •  Reset counters for each Pokémon upon opening.
    •  Persistent Shiny ratio in each Pokémon (unless the general counter is reset).
  •  General Counter Reset:
    •  General counter reset option, resetting all statistics.
  •  Pokémon Image Options:
    •  Added the option to use Pokémon images locally or from the API.
  •  Customizable.
    •  Custom colors
    •  Custom sprites
  •  Data Reset Option.

See the open issues for a full list of proposed features (and known issues).

Contributing

Contributions are what make the open source community such an amazing place to learn, inspire, and create. Any contributions you make are greatly appreciated.

License

Distributed under the Apache License 2.0 License.

Contact

ZeroxyDev - @ZeroxyDev

Project Link: https://github.com/ZeroxyDev/montally

Acknowledgments

Edited by zeroxy
v1.4.4

Well.. look what we have here! This is awesome. I thought I would give this bad boy a little test run. Below are my test results. Overall, definitely very promising and always nice to see some healthy competition and alternatives for the community. Just out of curiosity, how are you tracking the Pokemon when going into battle... in better words, what is your technique being used? AC (Archetype Counter) and GEC (Gilans Encounter Counter) both essentially take screenshots and then grab the text with OCR and track the Pokemon - these are the current popular ones.

Enhancement Suggestions:

- "Always on Top" mode to be added (I found this very annoying having to click the counter just to display the new Pokémon being tracked or the count increase. This feature is almost a must)

- Ability to theme the counter (The community loves to theme the current counters to match the PokeMMO theme they have or just want a special look)

- Ability to output debug files or a debug mode. This one is more internal for you, but I imagine it is going to be difficult to diagnose issues on NUMEROUS machines using this tool.

- Ability to change Pokémon Sprite Icons when they are being displayed/tracked. (Same with the community loves theming)

My test results:

When first running the counter, before I even hit a random Pokémon battle, I tracked a "Mew". I mean, that would be cool if it were real 🙂 lol. This is with default settings on (Except percentage on)

image.png.1c052a1c3f3490fe0ad60e8af5ab3fab.png

When going into battle finding a Growlithe, I somehow tracked a "Seel"? 😕 

image.thumb.png.d9275be5bf5f5812b840567205b34604.png

After seeing growlithe multiple times, it seemed to start tracking okay.

image.png.18f537b1af06543a0f326d3f843f5dd1.png

Never saw an unknown and still in the same area tracking Growlithe..

image.png.53803eea74da25adba6cc73abdd3eedb.png

When in Safari zone, it has MASSIVE trouble tracking Pokémon. Seems similar to the issue we have had with Archetype Counter... specifically with timing. If you stay long enough, it tracks fine. But, you can move out of the safari battle really quick and it fails to pick up and track. Also notice the Nidoran female scan. May need to adjust that one.

image.png.bfa81455f6f0963043c81c8f4fe4ed19.png

After starting fresh on the counter and using the "Extreme Detection" mode, my results started to become more consistent and no Mew or Unknown being tracked. So, potentially your extreme detection might be your more go to tracking method. Of course, just speculation and only from a small sample size. Just what I have observed.

image.png.a67db5a9840ca4bcb8d802d8a378067f.png

Edited by AnonymousPoke
43 minutes ago, AnonymousPoke said:

Well.. look what we have here! This is awesome. I thought I would give this bad boy a little test run. Below are my test results. Overall, definitely very promising and always nice to see some healthy competition and alternatives for the community. Just out of curiosity, how are you tracking the Pokemon when going into battle... in better words, what is your technique being used? AC (Archetype Counter) and GEC (Gilans Encounter Counter) both essentially take screenshots and then grab the text with OCR and track the Pokemon - these are the current popular ones.

Enhancement Suggestions:

- "Always on Top" mode to be added (I found this very annoying having to click the counter just to display the new Pokémon being tracked or the count increase. This feature is almost a must)

- Ability to theme the counter (The community loves to theme the current counters to match the PokeMMO theme they have or just want a special look)

- Ability to output debug files or a debug mode. This one is more internal for you, but I imagine it is going to be difficult to diagnose issues on NUMEROUS machines using this tool.

- Ability to change Pokémon Sprite Icons when they are being displayed/tracked. (Same with the community loves theming)

My test results:

When first running the counter, before I even hit a random Pokémon battle, I tracked a "Mew". I mean, that would be cool if it were real 🙂 lol. This is with default settings on (Except percentage on)

image.png.1c052a1c3f3490fe0ad60e8af5ab3fab.png

When going into battle finding a Growlithe, I somehow tracked a "Seel"? 😕 

image.thumb.png.d9275be5bf5f5812b840567205b34604.png

After seeing growlithe multiple times, it seemed to start tracking okay.

image.png.18f537b1af06543a0f326d3f843f5dd1.png

Never saw an unknown and still in the same area tracking Growlithe..

image.png.53803eea74da25adba6cc73abdd3eedb.png

When in Safari zone, it has MASSIVE trouble tracking Pokémon. Seems similar to the issue we have had with Archetype Counter... specifically with timing. If you stay long enough, it tracks fine. But, you can move out of the safari battle really quick and it fails to pick up and track. Also notice the Nidoran female scan. May need to adjust that one.

image.png.bfa81455f6f0963043c81c8f4fe4ed19.png

After starting fresh on the counter and using the "Extreme Detection" mode, my results started to become more consistent and no Mew or Unknown being tracked. So, potentially your extreme detection might be your more go to tracking method. Of course, just speculation and only from a small sample size. Just what I have observed.

image.png.a67db5a9840ca4bcb8d802d8a378067f.png

Hello AnonymousPoke! Thank you for the thorough feedback and testing. I appreciate the time you took to provide such detailed insights.

Regarding your question about how I track Pokémon in battles, the tool uses OCR (Optical Character Recognition) for Pokémon detection. I've implemented this using Rust and other languages to optimize the process as much as possible.

I'm actively addressing the issue of false detections. It's a complex challenge, but I'm currently working on refining the algorithm to minimize such occurrences. I understand the importance of accuracy in tracking, especially in areas like the Safari Zone, and it's a priority for improvement.

I'm glad you mentioned the suggestions for enhancements, such as an "Always on Top" mode, theming options, debug capabilities, and changing Pokémon sprite icons. These are valuable suggestions, and I'll definitely consider them for future updates. Customization is on my roadmap, and I'm exploring ways to implement it effectively.

The "Extreme Detection" mode you observed is designed to provide a more sensitive Pokémon detection, particularly useful when dealing with challenging situations. I'll continue refining and updating the tool to ensure it meets the community's needs.

Thanks again for your feedback, and stay tuned for upcoming updates with improvements and new features. If you have any more suggestions or encounter issues, feel free to let me know.

20 minutes ago, zeroxy said:

Hello AnonymousPoke! Thank you for the thorough feedback and testing. I appreciate the time you took to provide such detailed insights.

Regarding your question about how I track Pokémon in battles, the tool uses OCR (Optical Character Recognition) for Pokémon detection. I've implemented this using Rust and other languages to optimize the process as much as possible.

I'm actively addressing the issue of false detections. It's a complex challenge, but I'm currently working on refining the algorithm to minimize such occurrences. I understand the importance of accuracy in tracking, especially in areas like the Safari Zone, and it's a priority for improvement.

I'm glad you mentioned the suggestions for enhancements, such as an "Always on Top" mode, theming options, debug capabilities, and changing Pokémon sprite icons. These are valuable suggestions, and I'll definitely consider them for future updates. Customization is on my roadmap, and I'm exploring ways to implement it effectively.

The "Extreme Detection" mode you observed is designed to provide a more sensitive Pokémon detection, particularly useful when dealing with challenging situations. I'll continue refining and updating the tool to ensure it meets the community's needs.

Thanks again for your feedback, and stay tuned for upcoming updates with improvements and new features. If you have any more suggestions or encounter issues, feel free to let me know.

Either you are an excellent writer or this is a generated response via AI. lol. Either way, good stuff.

Appreciate the explanation (even though you didn't have too) on how you track. So, sounds very similar to the current approach of the other tools/counters. I think the detection can be 99% optimized and don't see you having any issues in that area per say, but I would like to emphasize that the Safari Zone detection is going to be key/crucial in users using this counter. GEC struggled with this and ultimately works if you stay long enough which is the same for your counter. AC is the only counter that can track Safari Zone with 99.99% detection.

Your definition of the "Extreme Detection" mode is super vague. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was getting better results with this mode on and less inconsistencies overall. So, what are you doing more specifically that helped in my situation? My game is ran in Windowed mode at 1417x763 resolution with no battle background. I think maybe having a tooltip or some type of description on what each option via the tool or on Github (like an FAQ) so the users better understand the controls they are turning on and using. Trust me, this has been a godsend putting this information on Github for AC.

Forgot to ask this, does the counter support double wild battles with two different Pokémon? For example, you wild battle a Pikachu & Weedle vs Weedle & Weedle. I unfortunately cannot test this as I am only in Kanto region. 

23 minutes ago, AnonymousPoke said:

Either you are an excellent writer or this is a generated response via AI. lol. Either way, good stuff.

Appreciate the explanation (even though you didn't have too) on how you track. So, sounds very similar to the current approach of the other tools/counters. I think the detection can be 99% optimized and don't see you having any issues in that area per say, but I would like to emphasize that the Safari Zone detection is going to be key/crucial in users using this counter. GEC struggled with this and ultimately works if you stay long enough which is the same for your counter. AC is the only counter that can track Safari Zone with 99.99% detection.

Your definition of the "Extreme Detection" mode is super vague. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was getting better results with this mode on and less inconsistencies overall. So, what are you doing more specifically that helped in my situation? My game is ran in Windowed mode at 1417x763 resolution with no battle background. I think maybe having a tooltip or some type of description on what each option via the tool or on Github (like an FAQ) so the users better understand the controls they are turning on and using. Trust me, this has been a godsend putting this information on Github for AC.

Forgot to ask this, does the counter support double wild battles with two different Pokémon? For example, you wild battle a Pikachu & Weedle vs Weedle & Weedle. I unfortunately cannot test this as I am only in Kanto region. 

I completely understand the importance of optimizing detection, especially in areas like the Safari Zone (and other places where a wide variety of Pokémon appear). Rest assured that I am actively working to refine the detection algorithm to improve performance, especially in scenarios like the Safari Zone :).

Regarding the "Extreme Detection" mode, I'm pleased to know that it provided better results. While the specific details of the mode's operation aren't fully explained, I can assure you that it involves a more sensitive approach to Pokémon detection (this is because I'm using functions to calculate Levenshtein distance).

Your suggestion to provide more information about each option, possibly through tooltips or FAQs on GitHub, is excellent. I will certainly consider implementing this to ensure that users clearly understand the tool's functionalities.

As for double wild battles, the tool currently supports tracking in single wild battles and hordes. However, I take note of your feedback on this, and I will explore the feasibility of expanding support for battles with more than one different Pokémon.

I appreciate your suggestions. If you have more ideas or questions, feel free to share them. Your input contributes significantly to the continuous improvement of the tool. Thanks!!

7 hours ago, GokuSSGSS said:

can i use this alongside other counters at the same time or will that cause a bug 

Yes, you can use MonTally alongside other encounter counters simultaneously. However, I recommend using your favorite detection tool to avoid potential conflicts. Running two counters concurrently may increase resource consumption. If you have a powerful system and don't mind resource usage, feel free to give it a try. :)

8 hours ago, nurver9 said:

Very interesting- following!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ddnodollar said:

Doubles only count as one kind of weirdness.

K3[4)2)I[{3FDZ48)IP0O73.png

Currently, I'm exploring the feasibility of counting different Pókemon during battles. There is a possibility that this feature will be implemented in the future. Thank you for your suggestion!

• zeroxy changed the title to [TOOL] MonTally - Pokémon Encounter Counter with Shiny Odds Estimation | v1.2.0
7 hours ago, zeroxy said:

However, I recommend using your favorite detection tool to avoid potential conflicts.

Agreed.. For example I believe both Archetype Counter and MonTally utilize windows OCR.. For best results, use one at a time for sure.

50 minutes ago, ddnodollar said:

The count is wrong when the small icon is not loaded. I don't know why the icon loads for a long time or even fails every time I reopen the counter.

MonTally employs an API and a caching system to retrieve images and information for Pokémon. While the database containing Pokémon names is local (aimed at reducing server requests), any disruptions in the API connection can lead to issues in accurately loading Pokémon images or information.

Edited by zeroxy

Below are more tests I have ran with using the latest version 1.2.0.

My test results:

*I tested this time without using "Extreme Detection" mode and definitely was better overall.

• When using MonTally and going into a trainer battle, it tracks the Pokémon as if it were wild battles. Now, I understand this may be silly to go into trainer battles, but users like to have the counter tool up and running and be able to do other things while they are also shiny hunting/tracking. This issue could be potentially avoided if you had an "OFF/ON" mode. But that is just a suggestion.

• When switching focus between a browser for example while in a wild battle and switching focus back into the battle, it does another re-count o the same Pokémon that was counted initially. Most of the users in this community are multi-tasking while shunting so this needs to be addressed.

• When in Safari Zone, it seems the ability to catch the Pokémon is better and it seems 50/50 that it did track when I tried to speed past the battles.  Of course, if I slowed down it tracked fine. But any shunter will tell you they are definitely blazing fast in the battle screen when in the Safari Zone. Look at making this more reilable?

• When finding/tracking nidoran (Male/Female), it is detecting this Pokémon as Nidorino. More likely it is due to the Male and Female icon being viewed as an "O" or something like that. This is an issue I had with AC as well. Had to add in additional logic for that specific Pokémon.

*A curious question from me, when taking screenshots with MonTally to track the Pokémon on screen, are you storing these in memory instead of writing out to disk? I just noticed in the Task Manager that the disk writing is completely nothing while using the tool. If so, this is extremely cool and I would be interested in how you did this - if you would be willing to share.

10 hours ago, AnonymousPoke said:

Below are more tests I have ran with using the latest version 1.2.0.

My test results:

*I tested this time without using "Extreme Detection" mode and definitely was better overall.

• When using MonTally and going into a trainer battle, it tracks the Pokémon as if it were wild battles. Now, I understand this may be silly to go into trainer battles, but users like to have the counter tool up and running and be able to do other things while they are also shiny hunting/tracking. This issue could be potentially avoided if you had an "OFF/ON" mode. But that is just a suggestion.

• When switching focus between a browser for example while in a wild battle and switching focus back into the battle, it does another re-count o the same Pokémon that was counted initially. Most of the users in this community are multi-tasking while shunting so this needs to be addressed.

• When in Safari Zone, it seems the ability to catch the Pokémon is better and it seems 50/50 that it did track when I tried to speed past the battles.  Of course, if I slowed down it tracked fine. But any shunter will tell you they are definitely blazing fast in the battle screen when in the Safari Zone. Look at making this more reilable?

• When finding/tracking nidoran (Male/Female), it is detecting this Pokémon as Nidorino. More likely it is due to the Male and Female icon being viewed as an "O" or something like that. This is an issue I had with AC as well. Had to add in additional logic for that specific Pokémon.

*A curious question from me, when taking screenshots with MonTally to track the Pokémon on screen, are you storing these in memory instead of writing out to disk? I just noticed in the Task Manager that the disk writing is completely nothing while using the tool. If so, this is extremely cool and I would be interested in how you did this - if you would be willing to share.

I'll be adding the 'OFF/ON' mode in the next update, along with the debug mode. I've been dedicated to making and optimizing the debug system. Thank you for your suggestions!

And yes, MonTally stores the screenshot in memory in base64; then, it is decoded to detect characters. This approach significantly enhances the efficiency of the process, with the added advantage of avoiding disk reads and writes, making it more efficient in terms of processing speed.

Regarding the issue with Nidorino, I want to assure you that I'm aware of it. Detecting symbols for male and female can be challenging, especially with the constant detection of '®'. As a temporary solution, I implemented a function to detect all Nidoran as Nidorinos. I'll be working to address this issue more effectively in the upcoming updates.

Concerning the issue of encountering Pokémon too quickly, I've implemented a cooldown system and more to make the tool even more efficient, preventing excessive CPU consumption. It's currently operating at a safe pace, and I could potentially increase it. I'll also consider adding an option to adjust the recognition rate for users who encounter Pokemons very quickly.

• zeroxy changed the title to [TOOL] MonTally - Pokémon Encounter Counter with Shiny Odds Estimation | v1.3.0
  • zeroxy changed the title to [TOOL] MonTally - Pokémon Encounter Counter with Shiny Odds Estimation | v1.4.4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having an issue with tracking. I'm currently using a meowth to pay day and the encounter counter is tracking my own pokemon. I tried to use manual mode but there is wild meowth in the spot im pay daying, so i would like to keep meowth on the count. Is there any fix to this? Almost every single encounter im doing i get an extra meowth count because of this 😞