[Implemented] AFK Timer in PVP

Ideas like arenas and tournaments are a given. But we all know that it could become a "potion" race at one point - whoever has the most potions will last the longest. So here are two ideas to keep things interesting when/if tournaments are created:

1. Set a max level, for instance 100, so no Pokemon can be over that.

2. Introduce a potion/item cap.

An example would be something like "You can carry and use a maximum of 30 items during the whole tournament". This way you are sure no one would stock thousands of potions and just heal until the world ends. It also leaves room for strategies and creativity - someone may carry 30 healing potions, others may carry a combination of 15 healing, 10 reviving potions, 5 anti-paralyzing potions. This way the players are left to create their own strategy that is unique and isn't just "let me get 9000 health potions and the other guy will definitely give up at one point".

3. Timer to prevent AFK-ing. 'Nuff said.

Loving it so far, guys! Keep up the good work :) Now if I could only get a party of Charmander, Squirtle and Balbasaur... :D

EDIT: Added 3. Timer, after reading BigPlayK's post :)

I think there should be a timer too, just saying. Although i've never done it, but I think you can just afk in duels and well, the duel freezes and someone has to stop their client? Or are you able to run away..? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

I think there should be a timer too, just saying. Although i've never done it, but I think you can just afk in duels and well, the duel freezes and someone has to stop their client? Or are you able to run away..? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Nice, added it to my main post :)

I don't like having to go over something like this, as this is in no way a priority in this state of the game; however your suggestions are somewhat weird, in a tournament environment you'd probably follow the already set rules over many years of competitive play.

This means no item uses besides held items by the pokemon at.

The max level is obviously 100, nobody would want to compete with anything below, and you can't pass that level, so there shouldn't be any problem here.

A timer is ofcourse a necessity, and a spectator mode. The only real question regarding pvp cannot be answered until it's been decided how to handle legendaries, the question of banning some pokemon, or splitting up tiers (Uber, OU, UU, NU), which is also problematic, seeing as this is third gen, and the current gen being used to play competitively is fifth gen, meaning information would be scarce. Some people also hate "tourneyuguu", however if you don't follow rules set by people with knowledge on the subject, they'll simply use the holes they fix against you, fighting teams consisting of nothing but legendaries would get a bit boring in the end.

I don't think Legendaries should be implemented. The game needs diversity and not everyone fighting with the same pokemon surely? Although they'd be a pretty cool tourny prize.

Legendary pokemon are one of the biggest challenges in each pokemon games. I'm sure not everyone will be fighting with same pokemons, there's so many, and peoples combo for the party will always change.

Legendary pokemon are one of the biggest challenges in each pokemon games. I'm sure not everyone will be fighting with same pokemons, there's so many, and peoples combo for the party will always change.

True, & thinking about it, you do only get one opportunity to catch.

Still, I stand by that i'd like to see them as tournament prizes. Would give players a real motivation to keep playing and compete.

This means no item uses besides held items by the pokemon at.

OP, I'm not sure what made you think bag items would ever be allowed in tournaments. Maybe you think that the player's team won't be healed after every match. Just so we're clear, they most likely will be healed after every match. Tournaments have to be fair for everyone, and this is something that is standard.

That said, I would like to see something like the Miracle Shooter be implemented.

Bag items were never allowed in standard Pogeyman PvP. Even in Gen 1, link battles disabled your bag items.

And level 100 is pretty much a given. I'm not sure if OP has ever played an actual Pogeyman game before, but it's impossible to get above 100 by standard practice.

On the topic of legendaries, the fact that you can only catch them once and can't breed them makes them pretty useless for competition. The chance of getting bad IVs + non-optimal nature is pretty high when you can't save and continuously catch the legendary to get the best stats. Makes them pretty obsolete for battle compared to a perfect IV'd + max EV'd + good nature'd standard Pogey.

Bag items were never allowed in standard Pogeyman PvP. Even in Gen 1, link battles disabled your bag items.

And level 100 is pretty much a given. I'm not sure if OP has ever played an actual Pogeyman game before, but it's impossible to get above 100 by standard practice.

On the topic of legendaries, the fact that you can only catch them once and can't breed them makes them pretty useless for competition. The chance of getting bad IVs + non-optimal nature is pretty high when you can't save and continuously catch the legendary to get the best stats. Makes them pretty obsolete for battle compared to a perfect IV'd + max EV'd + good nature'd standard Pogey.

I have to disagree, bad iv's or even a wrong nature means little compared to the insane stats, the movepool and abilities some legendaries have, ofcourse you've got examples of shitty legendaries like the dogs, but trust me, every team would have a mewtwo and a kyogre if they were allowed.

The timer should be added asap, today someone battled me, and never chose their attack, forcing me to have to end and re-open my game process. Even accidently hitting accept can pull you into this kind of griefing tactic.

The timer should be added asap, today someone battled me, and never chose their attack, forcing me to have to end and re-open my game process. Even accidently hitting accept can pull you into this kind of griefing tactic.

This right here is the prime example.

I have to disagree, bad iv's or even a wrong nature means little compared to the insane stats, the movepool and abilities some legendaries have, ofcourse you've got examples of shitty legendaries like the dogs, but trust me, every team would have a mewtwo and a kyogre if they were allowed.

Or you could have the 6 blissey with Ice Beam / Toxic / Aroma / Softboiled or Wish since wish+aroma isn't a banned combination yet.

I agree with most of these changes. I personally think that allowing legendaries in PvP should be up to the two people involved, however. I think items should just be disabled to be more in line with the actual games. Perhaps there could be different rulesets to be imposed in the very far future, that allow custom rulesets. I believe the actual games have something to that effect that allow you to set level caps (50 or 100) and also allow you to choose whether or not legendaries are allowed. I personally think that the Smogon Tier list is acceptable, but I know that some people do not agree.

Like some of you have said, if we get pre battle options on setting certain restrictions, we'll get around most problems. Devs have likely considered all of this, but don't see it as a top priority (I'm assuming). We'll get it. Eventually.