Team Rocket Recruitment

Kearsten

So the reason you're disallowing people to pick their partners is because you don't want people who are strong competitively to pair up? As mentioned RNG does mean two people who do well competitively have a chance to pair up regardless (so you're not avoiding it completely), and also that if someone ends up carrying their partner to the end they are being handed the shiny for free basically. In my opinion you should have two people at the end who deserve it, and the final battle should be interesting (as opposed to one person easily winning the shiny). 

I think allowing people to pick their partners is pretty exciting for the players, and it's also a nice sense of community. It will be very disappointing for entrants to be paired with an individual they 1) don't know 2) is on a different competitive level 3) doesn't communicate well in the same language or 4) with whom they do not get along with. I understand all of these may not apply, and may not be a huge issue, but I still think that allowing players to pick their partners is a very positive thing and much better than what random pairings bring to the table. I cannot see a legitimate downside to allowing it, so please let me know if I have overlooked something. 

Just my feedback, please don't dismiss it with a "you can go play another tournament if you don't like it". Yes that is true but why not review feedback and see how it can improve your event to target more people's interests as opposed to dismissing it. 

Also this isn't about whining, this is about voicing your opinion. Feedback is a useful thing, and I don't lump it in with whining. To me whining is demanding something without explaining why you prefer what you're asking for.

Good luck with your first time as an event host. 

So the reason you're disallowing people to pick their partners is because you don't want people who are strong competitively to pair up? As mentioned RNG does mean two people who do well competitively have a chance to pair up regardless (so you're not avoiding it completely), and also that if someone ends up carrying their partner to the end they are being handed the shiny for free basically. In my opinion you should have two people at the end who deserve it, and the final battle should be interesting (as opposed to one person easily winning the shiny). 

I think allowing people to pick their partners is pretty exciting for the players, and it's also a nice sense of community. It will be very disappointing for entrants to be paired with an individual they 1) don't know 2) is on a different competitive level 3) doesn't communicate well in the same language or 4) with whom they do not get along with. I understand all of these may not apply, and may not be a huge issue, but I still think that allowing players to pick their partners is a very positive thing and much better than what random pairings bring to the table. I cannot see a legitimate downside to allowing it, so please let me know if I have overlooked something. 

Just my feedback, please don't dismiss it with a "you can go play another tournament if you don't like it". Yes that is true but why not review feedback and see how it can improve your event to target more people's interests as opposed to dismissing it. 

Also this isn't about whining, this is about voicing your opinion. Feedback is a useful thing, and I don't lump it in with whining. To me whining is demanding something without explaining why you prefer what you're asking for.

emlee my only regret is that i can like this only once

Also

I am digging this idea so much i hope I get a partner who hates me cause I'll enjoy trolling him.

It's no skin off someone's back to enter just to troll and ruin someone's chances.
[spoiler]I have no idea if he's just trolling in this thread but either way, people can legitimately do this

[/spoiler]

if someone ends up carrying their partner to the end they are being handed the shiny for free basically.

Its still pretty impressive though, being able to beat someone and have enough left to take someone else

Also

It's no skin off someone's back to enter just to troll and ruin someone's chances. 

[spoiler]I have no idea if he's just trolling in this thread but either way, people can legitimately do this[/spoiler]

good idea/10

Not being able to choose your partner for something like this is a huge test of skill as well. If it turns out that two players on different levels get paired up and make it to the finals, the winner would most certainly not have been handed a free shiny should they have carried the team that far. That's just what I see out of this and in my opinion, that's a pretty big positive.

Not being able to choose your partner for something like this is a huge test of skill as well. If it turns out that two players on different levels get paired up and make it to the finals, the winner would most certainly not have been handed a free shiny should they have carried the team that far. That's just what I see out of this and in my opinion, that's a pretty big positive.

Why wouldn't you want to see a good final battle though? What about people who can enter this just to troll and ruin it for someone else?

I can see the benefits and "fun" of random partners but the cons of it just don't make it viable (imo), whereas people picking their partners has much less cons. 

If you're going to go gimmick then go full gimmick. I.E: 1v1, or level 10s, etc. If this is just for fun then make it just for fun in every way. I always ran with "pick your audience and cater to them in every way" when running events. No, you don't need to be like me, but these are some things to think about. 

I appreciate your input but I decided on these rules and I'm sticking to them. ^_^; Some will like it, some won't, though we're used to this in most tournaments we hold. I wanted to try something a little more risky and that's what this will be based on. 

And thanks!

Also remember it is the first tournament with these rules, if it doesn't go well, it most likely won't show its face in the official tournies again. It doesn't hurt to expand and get people out of their comfortable zones once in a while as I'm doing here. 

Also

[spoiler]I have no idea if he's just trolling in this thread but either way, people can legitimately do this[/spoiler]

lulz :) I hope barrage enters just to troll him in every possible way or maybe if you enter too ill enjoy getting partnered with you as well