Fun/good cores thread

Post up a core of 2-3 Pokemon that work together well so people can come here for team ideas. Try to say a little bit about how they work together and include sets 

ill start with one of my favorites, Agility metagross + CB Flygon 

Metagross - Lum berry/life ball

adamant / jolly

max speed/atk or invest some bulk if you wish 

- agility 

- meteor mash

- thunder punch 

- earthquake 

Flygon - choice band 

adamant / jolly

252 atk / speed

- earthquake 

- dragon claw

- superpower

- fire blast / fire punch / thunder punch

(fire blast even with adamant can 2hko physically defensive Skarm, unlike the others, but low pp and accuracy sometimes are not worth it)

they work well together because Flygon can cover ground and fire weaknesses for metagross to an extent. And metagross covers dragon and Ice weaknesses for Flygon. Flygon with choice band lures out things that need to be weakened for metagross, such as Slowbro, skarmory, and weezing. Pokemon that can switch into these and set up/remove hazards or get off significant damage for the metagross sweep are good teammates, such as starmie.

So I heard you like cancer.

Shuckle @ Leftovers  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Rest  
- Knock Off  
- Toxic  
- Encore  

Quagsire @ Leftovers  
Ability: Water Absorb  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Relaxed Nature  
- Recover  
- Earthquake  
- Ice Beam  
- Toxic  

Shuckle walls pretty much everything besides water and rock attacks. Quagsire takes water and rock attacks exceptionally well. Shuckle is specifically useful in this meta as it is pretty much the best dodrio counter and stalls out miltank pretty easily. It can take on houndoom as well. Encore+knock off+toxic just screw over so many switch ins.  

i've been seeing Metagross, Flygon, Starmie a very large amount in ranked matchmaking. it seems really good right now.

Umbreon and Weezing make a nice pair due to their types for obvious reasons. Umbreon was a lot more useful in the short time gengar was back for pursuit, but it's still decent if you can catch an alakazam without signal beam.

Edited by Rigamorty

time for a new core so maybe people will participate

DD Gyara + Specs Jolteon (I prefer specs but really any jolteon will do. wish variants are actually kinda nice with this core)

Gyara - leftovers / lum berry / life ball

Jolly/Adamant

Max Speed / Attack (or you can sacrifice some speed for HP)

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall 

- Crunch

- EQ / Taunt / Sub / Bounce / Thunderbolt*** (hits cloyster,and opposing gyarados so it works but not the best imo)

Jolteon - Choice specs

Timid

Max speed/Spatk

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden power ice/grass

- shadow ball

- wish / hyper voice

Gyarados can come in and set up on choiced EQ's, Jolteon can heal up on electric attacks aimed at gyara.

This core is very offensive and can be troublesome for a lot teams to handle after a few walls have been worn down.

Spikes support is nice since it forces a lot of switches. Bulky pivots that can actually do damage work well with this team, such as venusaur, snorlax, arcanine.

some of the basic walls and wallbreakers that I know, lol

chansey and skarmory, special tank and physical tank, chansey acts as healer for the team/toxic you down while walling special attacker, skarmory set up spikes/toxic you down while walling physical attacker, may struggle against blaziken (fire and fight), haunter (cant toxic or seismic it) and some others

chansey and weezing, almost the same as the above except weezing acts as physical crippler with will-o-wisp, may struggle against blaziken (cant wow it while it swords dance up), mix metagross with meteor mash and psychic

magneton and trapinch, trap the f***king walls and clear way for your sweepers, magneton traps steel types and kill em with thunderbolt or hidden power fire, beware swapping in on forretress using earthquake, and cant trap cloyster, while choice band trapinch traps chansey and 1hko it with superpower, this combo might not work well now with shed shell, but not many people would give up leftover for shed shell

On 5/14/2016 at 6:09 PM, jasonoon95 said:

magneton traps steel types and kill em with thunderbolt or hidden power fire

Nosepass can be run with Max HP max Sp.Att to trap Skarm / Forretress, it can taunt Skarm from whirlwinding and can kill foretress before it kills nosepass with EQ, even after swap in.

I personally run Taunt, T-bolt, HP fire, T-wave on my nosepass. kinda gimicky, but it is an option.

1 minute ago, BurntZebra said:

Until magneton runs hp ice or grass and ohkos trapinch.

252+ SpA Magneton Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Trapinch: 104-124 (85.9 - 102.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Magneton Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Trapinch: 94-112 (77.6 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nah.

3 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

252+ SpA Magneton Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Trapinch: 104-124 (85.9 - 102.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Magneton Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Trapinch: 94-112 (77.6 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nah.

I guess if you really wanted to trap magneton, but that kind of makes trapinch pretty weak on the physical side. If you run 252 hp instead of a gimmick spread, then you can survive snorlax body slam/metagross earthquake/jolteon hp ice.

If you're already running shed hull on skarmory, then you don't really need to worry about magneton and you're just wasting a team slot on trapinch. 

12 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

I guess if you really wanted to trap magneton, but that kind of makes trapinch pretty weak on the physical side. If you run 252 hp instead of a gimmick spread, then you can survive snorlax body slam/metagross earthquake/jolteon hp ice.

If you're already running shed hull on skarmory, then you don't really need to worry about magneton and you're just wasting a team slot on trapinch. 

Jolteon HP Ice still get's tanked.

3 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

When can you even switch a Trapinch against Snorlax tho?

Situation against Curselax (Careful):

+1 0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 144-171 (94.7 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch Superpower vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 178-210 (66.6 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Situation against Curselax (Adamant):

+1 0+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 159-187 (104.6 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Situation against CB lax (Adamant):

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 196-232 (128.9 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Doesnt really matter if 252 HP Trapinch survives Earthquake from Meta anyways:

252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 178-210 (117.1 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Don't even know why you mentioned Jolteon, it even has less power than Magneton, unless you bring trapinch on +1 Jolt (or don't get hit with hp on predict switch), it should be ez to kill it.

I liked how you mentioned 252 sp def Trapinch as a "gimmick", like running Trapinch in OU isn't gimmicky already

43 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

When can you even switch a Trapinch against Snorlax tho?

Situation against Curselax (Careful):

+1 0 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 144-171 (94.7 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch Superpower vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 178-210 (66.6 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Situation against Curselax (Adamant):

+1 0+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 159-187 (104.6 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Situation against CB lax (Adamant):

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 196-232 (128.9 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Doesnt really matter if 252 HP Trapinch survives Earthquake from Meta anyways:

252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trapinch: 178-210 (117.1 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Don't even know why you mentioned Jolteon, it even has less power than Magneton, unless you bring trapinch on +1 Jolt (or don't get hit with hp on predict switch), it should be ez to kill it.

I liked how you mentioned 252 sp def Trapinch as a "gimmick", like running Trapinch in OU isn't gimmicky already

I guess with your logic, dugtrio isn't banworthy and can't trap anything because it dies to basically any attack. 

Your calcs are pretty irrelevant, considering trapinch is only for revenge kills or double switches. Again, neither can dugtrio handle a +1 curselax, so I think you're overestimating what a trapinch should be able to do. 

Metagross could be locked into scarf earthquake and then that allows trapinch to revenge kill. Might seem situational, but when your arcanine dies to choice scarf metagross and you need to take that metagross out, you'll be glad you have those 252 hp evs. 

I only mentioned jolteon as it's a popular special attacker and even without those sp def evs, trapinch is still able to survive it, in addition to some useful physical attacks. 

If you really want to trap magneton and not run a total gimmick, I'd say hp ground gardevoir is a nice option as it has additional utility outside of trapping the uncommon magneton. 

2 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

I guess with your logic, dugtrio isn't banworthy and can't trap anything because it dies to basically any attack.

> Comparing Dugtrio (120 base speed) to Trapinch (10 base speed).

Your calcs are pretty irrelevant, considering trapinch is only for revenge kills or double switches. Again, neither can dugtrio handle a +1 curselax, so I think you're overestimating what a trapinch should be able to do. 

You said earlier that you can ev a Trapinch in a way that survives Snorlax's Body Slam, and I used those calcs to prove you were wrong.

Metagross could be locked into scarf earthquake and then that allows trapinch to revenge kill. Might seem situational, but when your arcanine dies to choice scarf metagross and you need to take that metagross out, you'll be glad you have those 252 hp evs. 

252 Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 98-116 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Arcanine Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 150-176 (96.7 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

I'll have a blast with scarf Meta, literally. I mean, if I have full hp rk9, not even choice band Meta can scare me.

I only mentioned jolteon as it's a popular special attacker and even without those sp def evs, trapinch is still able to survive it, in addition to some useful physical attacks. 

If you really want to trap magneton and not run a total gimmick, I'd say hp ground gardevoir is a nice option as it has additional utility outside of trapping the uncommon magneton. I would actually choose Porygon for that, but Garde also works.

I could bet you're one of those people that trash talk about gimmicks and yet run Wynaut or some shit.

Just now, LifeStyle said:

I could bet you're one of those people that trash talk about gimmicks and yet run Wynaut or some shit.

252 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Trapinch: 118-139 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Not sure the point of posting boosted damage calcs.

Guess what? Trapinch dies to a specs magneton attack too.

252 Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Arcanine: 102-120 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not to mention life orb metagross and choice band metagross are pretty huge threats too, although trapinch can't reliably trap those sets.

I'm not really trash talking trapinch, but I don't really agree with your usage of it. The main niche of trapinch is to trap chansey pretty much without fail.If you take 95% from magneton hp ice, you're basically wasting trapinch's main potential. I don't know what type of team would prefer to take out magneton instead of chansey.

I was actually one of the first people to run trapinch (thanks to keith for letting me borrow in a tournament) back when chansey was in UU. But I also do like wynaut since it's quite versatile in what it can trap and can set up a lot of different pokemon via encore.   

1 minute ago, BurntZebra said:

252 Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Trapinch: 118-139 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Not sure the point of posting boosted damage calcs. 252 Attack, not natured, not cursed, interesting.

Guess what? Trapinch dies to a specs magneton attack too. Guess what? The main point was trapping Mag with skarm+trapinch combo, so specs Magneton would do even worse than anything not locked to a move.

252 Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Arcanine: 102-120 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not to mention life orb metagross and choice band metagross are pretty huge threats too, although trapinch can't reliably trap those sets.

Why 228 defense evs? Did you just copy the set from smogon with 28 speed evs? Also:

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Arcanine: 164-194 (83.2 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Can't even ohko.

I'm not really trash talking trapinch, but I don't really agree with your usage of it. The main niche of trapinch is to trap chansey pretty much without fail.If you take 95% from magneton hp ice, you're basically wasting trapinch's main potential. I don't know what type of team would prefer to take out magneton instead of chansey. That's implying you face a team with both Chansey and Mag, could happen but it ain't gonna happen that much.

I was actually one of the first people to run trapinch (thanks to keith for letting me borrow in a tournament) back when chansey was in UU. But I also do like wynaut since it's quite versatile in what it can trap and can set up a lot of different pokemon via encore.   

And I'll just stop here, tbh I have way better things to do right now.

6 hours ago, LifeStyle said:

Shed Hull Skarmory+CB Trapinch, have fun trapping Magnetons

This is a terrible core haha, why would you waste a team slot AND an item slot to deal with mag? Gimmick would imply that it's useful in some situations. If you're trading 1 of your 6 Pokemon for your opponent's mag, which couldn't even do its job in the first place due to shed hull, do you really think that's useful? 

I know there hasn't been a ton of stuff posted in this thread but that's no reason to post shit cores, and then try aimlessly to defend it for 6 posts. 

6 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

This is a terrible core haha, why would you waste a team slot AND an item slot to deal with mag? Gimmick would imply that it's useful in some situations. If you're trading 1 of your 6 Pokemon for your opponent's mag, which couldn't even do its job in the first place due to shed hull, do you really think that's useful? 

I know there hasn't been a ton of stuff posted in this thread but that's no reason to post shit cores, and then try aimlessly to defend it for 6 posts. 

The point is killing Magneton so you can peacefully set up spikes, provided the rest of your team covers rapid spinners and other stuff.

I wouldn't call it shit, I've tested it and it works most times, not really wasting a team slot because even if you don't face Magneton, you can use Skarm as a spiker and Trapinch as a Chansey trapper. (only downfall would be no leftovers skarm)

Edit: ffs gunt, I said I have better things to do, smh

Edited by LifeStyle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.