1st team around Umbreon

On 10/12/2016 at 9:30 AM, redspawn said:

Agree on a bit of that, although, the first paragraph.. it applies the same principle of predictions, Consider it a Block Lapras strategy with perish song, instead you are bulkier, have more survivability and therefor can carry the strategy to the end. Ofc it wont work in every situation, yet I also doubt a snorlax vs a trick of a specs starmie for example would do much aswell. Curse umbreon has niche uses, also agree on that, but it's viable for late game fights or pp stall fights imo. Sadly yeah, the lack of  baton prevents him from using full potential, and is also true that as he gets outclassed by snorlax... hell, guess what...that thing can outclass even some sweepers with a choice band... he's ridiculously strong, Chansey on the other end, compared to umbreon I'd rather have umbreon, sounds more useful, to many counters to chansey nowadays who also pressure the switch in on her. Although that also applies to umbreon but has more bulkiness imo.

yeah both umbreon and ivysaur are amazing with a band and outclass regular choice banders with their 65atk

Despite the sarcasm, dw, I'm on your side, I think umbreon has a nice niche that can change games, but nowadays, extremely a pain in the ass to pull off, and there are just simply easier routes.

Ohhhhhh finally got time to respond to this!!!

I personally used to be a big fan of Umbreon back in the day. 2013/14. Back then there was still the original generation physical/special split. Meaning all eeveelution typings+dragon were special. All moves with those types. Rest was physical. Meaning Umbreon used pursuit as a special attacker. Back then with the pokemon available it really was the only good one. It was stab + a solid wall back then. Why it was good was because it stopped those obnoxious sweepers such as Starmie and Alakazam. Alakazam still running the elemantal punches etc. Keep in mind back then there was no Metagross or Flygon. Umbreon was also used as a Baton Passer which got banned aswell. Also Tyranitar, Snorlax, Dugtrio, Heracross (not 100% sure if this was till the hoenn update), Dragonite and Salamence were in Ubers.

Okay so fast forward to today. We got generation 4+ physical/special split. Meaning pursuit became physical. Meaning alot more pokemon that could learn pursuit became good using it and pokemon who weren't introduced back then or pokemon that got moved down. For example Aerodactyl, Metagross, Heracross and Snorlax. These seriously outclass Umbreon as a pursuit trapper. On top of that, bug moves are no longer all physical. Meaning Signal beam Alakazam and Espeon are quite common. Back then there weren't any fancy Life orb/Specs either. It was mainly just leftover spam + berries. So as of right now Alakazam and Espeon have the ability to take on Umbreon on a 1v1 with these new items. Meaning one of it's main roles, being a special tank. Became less good, not being able to counter/check those sweepers as good anymore. Now it is still a wish passer and a heal beller. But Umbreon doesn't have that niche it had back then of being that alright special defensive wall who could trap sweepers without doing much back. 

Umbreon is currently as said before set up bait. Be it a Sub or Taunt gyarados (which have become quite common) who just DD without you being able to do much. Unless you run something gimmicky as Roar. Another good example would be Skarmory, that will be able to set up his spikes no problem and trust me if your spinner is dead or if you don't run one the last thing you want is your opponent setting up spikes. Now again you could run Taunt to prevent this from happening but you would need like 6 moves in order for Umbreon to work properly. Metagross also does really well against it, which is one of the top used pokemon. And a Meteor Mash hurts from a Choicebanded one.

Umbreon is in my opinion an alright cleric but certainly not good enough to be your core special defensive wall.

Edited by TheChampionMike
  • Mike locked this topic