Feedback Regarding the Level Cap

AfroNin

Question

To provide some feedback, since I've seen mods say they're always welcome to it, I'd like to posit that the expectation of players leaving due to the increased difficulty later on in the game is counterbalanced by the fact that they might just leave much earlier due to the level cap. I found myself, after being very annoyed with the level cap multiple times in very short succession, also unable to have my preferred kind of fun with Pokémon. As a result I'll probably not play PokéMMO anymore. The expected reaction to that statement is probably going to be "kbye", but I figured since this is the most likely feedback section I could find, I'd at least justify why I didn't feel like continuing to invest time into this way to play the game.

I tend to play Pokémon more like a clicker game. Grinding and overleveling is a matter of course. It's difficult for me to gather much fun from Pokémon that aren't leveled yet, and I feel like I'm playing very inefficiently if I (basically) "waste" time leveling up other Pokémon beside a single one, which I will then later be able to use to XP Share my other Pokémon to playable levels. The quotation marks are relevant because I realize that there are different approaches to playing the game, but it seems to me like this mostly singleplayer-based experience is being censored by the level cap, and a different playstyle is forced on it that has unfortunately completely alienated me.

If you aren't looking for people like me to become community members, then I suppose there is little reason to review the level cap as a system.

I've read up on some of the justifications for it, the user Darkshade has elaborated with a very useful response why this change to the base game has been made, and I'd like to respond to some of them. The complete comment can be found here. My reasoning for wanting to overlevel has been stated above, so I won't repeat it here, but I'd like to weigh in the possibility that many players are returning players from having played the base game before, so concerns about 'teaching' these players the mechanics of the game are not exactly relevant to their experience, especially if they weren't planning to compete to begin with. Strategies don't have much value for my enjoyment of the game, I basically never employed strategy when playing from Red to Sun and I enjoyed myself with every game across the times, so the expectation of playing the entirety of the game with strategy in mind was... surprising to me, because it's not advertized anywhere in the entire process from downloading to installing the game. It was more of a thing you notice midway through playing, that you're no longer allowed to level your character.

TLDR: I expected a regular Pokémon experience, I didn't get it, I wasn't satisfied with the justifications I've found for being compelled to play the game differently with mandatory competitive gameplay expectations that were not advertized anywhere (the presumptuous tweets of people not liking this system being encouraged to find help online on how to build good teams didn't help) and so I think I just have to go because the gameplay is very frustrating.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post, I'd be more than happy to elaborate on any points made, and I am very thankful that there are developers like the ones from PokéMMO out there who create amazing engines for great games like Pokémon

All the best,

Alex

2 answers to this question

I can play this game rather competitively and deal fine with the gym leaders even underleveled, and I don't know if I think that the correct answer is to remove level caps or anything, but I think this post definitely shows a perspective that this game is artificially unwelcoming to casual players. I agree what you said that the difficulty presented during gyms and important battles don't teach casual players shit, and rather just serve as a roadblock or filter for more casual players.

I understand the reasoning behind (and even like!) the level cap, but I would much prefer it as an option rather than enforced. Why force people to play this specific way for what is, essentially, a singleplayer campaign? If the problem is people trading away pokemon to have htem trained, surely you can just apply the same badge restrictions to such pokemon?