[Official] Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup Results and post-discussion!

Hermes

There's many alternative ways to beat starmie!

*cough electrode*

Electrode takes a easy 60~70% damage from Starmie's Psychic assuming no Twisted Spoon. Electrode only does about 80% with Shock Wave back to Starmie. Are you saying we're depending on a 70% Accuracy move (Thunder) to even attempted to "counter" Starmie? Also, this is assuming Starmie is stupid enough to stay in battle against Electrode as well. Once you lose that HP on Electrode, there is no return to recovery and there goes your "Starmie" counter because switching Electrode in would only be death. That and his signature move is banned as well which is Explosion. So to top things off, with his pathetic Attack/Special Attack stat and lack of movepool, he has no Explosion. Electrode isn't Electrode without Explosion. So the best way to use Electrode would probably be Rain Dance, Thunder, Thunder Wave, Shock Wave/Light Screen which is a pretty shallow set.

On the side note, because of Starmie, Umberon is going to be a popular counter to it. It is much more reliable then Electrode to counter it. This is only my guess but most teams are probably going to consist of Machamp, Umberon and Starmie as a whole.

Electrode takes a easy 60~70% damage from Starmie's Psychic assuming no Twisted Spoon. Electrode only does about 80% with Shock Wave back to Starmie. Are you saying we're depending on a 70% Accuracy move (Thunder) to even attempted to "counter" Starmie? Also, this is assuming Starmie is stupid enough to stay in battle against Electrode as well. Once you lose that HP on Electrode, there is no return to recovery and there goes your "Starmie" counter because switching Electrode in would only be death. That and his signature move is banned as well which is Explosion. So to top things off, with his pathetic Attack/Special Attack stat and lack of movepool, he has no Explosion. Electrode isn't Electrode without Explosion. So the best way to use Electrode would probably be Rain Dance, Thunder, Thunder Wave, Shock Wave/Light Screen which is a pretty shallow set.

On the side note, because of Starmie, Umberon is going to be a popular counter to it. It is much more reliable then Electrode to counter it. This is only my guess but most teams are probably going to consist of Machamp, Umberon and Starmie as a whole.

Agreed. Who the fuck would put rain dance on Electrode lmfao

If I were the organisers I'd personally ban Starmie as the game will basically be Starmie vs Starmie counters which will be Hyper Beam Aerodactyl (does he OHKO?) and Hypno and Clefable trying to get lucky. Also Jolteon/Electrode hoping that Thunder hit (does twistedspoon Psychic OHKO it? Cause shock wave certainly won't OHKO Starmie) and I guess Electabuzz could possibly counter.