Stolen (thief) items dissapearing

Hey, I don't know if this has been asked before but my recently stolen items (shield fossil and an everstone from Geodude) have been disappearing as soon as I leave the battle. I know I cannot make the Pokemon faint if I want to keep the stolen item. At first I thought it was a bug but now it has happened twice, is this normal? Does the game allow me to only acquire one of these fossils at a time?

2 hours ago, mateusvictor said:

if the wild pokemon happens to be fainted out with the thief is normal, it is necessary that the pokemon survive the atack thief

The problem is that the pokemon survives, but the item just isn't on my pokemon when the battle ends. Its as if i didnt' steal it at all

it's either one of these two

- you're trying to thief with a pokemon that's already holding an item

- you're trying to steal more than one item at once, which you can't do, you need multiple pokemon for that

Edited by HerickJS
Just now, HerickJS said:

it's either one of these two

- you're trying to thief with a pokemon that's already holding an item

- you're trying to steal more than one item at once, which you can't do, you need multiple pokemon for that

Just now, Munya said:

Are you at oreburgh gate? That cave is broken, you will need to get your fossils and stuff in another cave/rock smash location.

... or that.

12 hours ago, Munya said:

Are you at oreburgh gate? That cave is broken, you will need to get your fossils and stuff in another cave/rock smash location.

That is such a good guess lol. Yes i was oreburgh gate, my skarmory had no items on him so thief should have worked. I did everything right. I lost an item twice in a row.