Tips for getting through the excessively difficult story mode?

Bryce

Started in Hoenn since it's a region I'm familiar with, seeing as Ruby was one of my favorite games. I understood that PokeMMO was designed to be more difficult, but I thought that would come into play with higher level opponents that could be countered with smart play.

What I did NOT expect was every gym leader to have coverage moves for every one of their counters while forever getting the first move. Right now I'm in Fortree City and I watched a Skarmory with Iron Head and Altaria WITH EARTHQUAKE decimate my overleveled sweepers that I built to counter this type of thing.

What's the solution? Do I have to hit the level cap EVERY time and build a full team of counters or something? It's not particularly fun to get roadblocked by each gym and be forced to spend hours farming hordes to level up via Exp Share so I can stand a chance.

22 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

What is your current team? Hitting lvl cap is not necessarily always, but depends on teambuild as well.

At the moment it's a 38 Graveler, 36 Blaziken, 36 Breloom, 34 Azumarill, 29 Manectric (training it but don't have any decent spots that I can OHKO), and a level 5 Zigzagoon as an HM Slave.

Hit me up ingame my name is captnbaklava and ill help you evolve your graveler. 

Look if you have some items that boost your moves: Mystic Water and stuff they are important. If Earthquake Altaria is a problem teach your Azumarill IcePunch and give it a balloon.

Consider using boosting moves, i cleared nearly the whole stories with dragon dance gyarados.

Remember that this is a mmo, ask people if they can help you ingame either with tips, leveling your mons to your level cap, helping you with evolutions or getting pokemons that arent available in your story right now. The Pokemmo community is quite nice

2 hours ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Hit me up ingame my name is captnbaklava and ill help you evolve your graveler. 

Look if you have some items that boost your moves: Mystic Water and stuff they are important. If Earthquake Altaria is a problem teach your Azumarill IcePunch and give it a balloon.

Consider using boosting moves, i cleared nearly the whole stories with dragon dance gyarados.

Remember that this is a mmo, ask people if they can help you ingame either with tips, leveling your mons to your level cap, helping you with evolutions or getting pokemons that arent available in your story right now. The Pokemmo community is quite nice

Oh hey, I remember seeing your post about your comp breeding service, looks like it's pretty successful.

As far as your specific recommendation, I don't believe I have a TM for Ice Punch - Hoenn is the first region I'm starting on. I could fish for a Magikarp and level it to Gyarados if you think the one you trained was that much of a carry.

I have a friend who plays this game alongside me, so evolving Graveler wouldn't be too much of an issue. I don't really want to trade for or buy Pokemon I shouldn't have yet to carry me through the story, I'm just disappointed that the pattern with gym leaders is that I need to basically hit level cap on my Pokemon to have a chance, even with counters. In this specific case I'm trying to train Manectric, ideally on the Gloom hordes nearby, but don't have any AOE moves I can bring to OHKO the horde the same way I pushed through Norman by power-leveling in the desert with Bulldoze Graveler on Sandshrew/Trapinch hordes.

It's just annoying to plan around an opponent's weakness only to have them always get the first turn and always have a coverage move to the point where overleveling is necessary. I wonder how anybody would have the patience to get through a Nuzlocke version of this game.

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Oh hey, I remember seeing your post about your comp breeding service, looks like it's pretty successful.

As far as your specific recommendation, I don't believe I have a TM for Ice Punch - Hoenn is the first region I'm starting on. I could fish for a Magikarp and level it to Gyarados if you think the one you trained was that much of a carry.

I have a friend who plays this game alongside me, so evolving Graveler wouldn't be too much of an issue. I don't really want to trade for or buy Pokemon I shouldn't have yet to carry me through the story, I'm just disappointed that the pattern with gym leaders is that I need to basically hit level cap on my Pokemon to have a chance, even with counters. In this specific case I'm trying to train Manectric, ideally on the Gloom hordes nearby, but don't have any AOE moves I can bring to OHKO the horde the same way I pushed through Norman by power-leveling in the desert with Bulldoze Graveler on Sandshrew/Trapinch hordes.

It's just annoying to plan around an opponent's weakness only to have them always get the first turn and always have a coverage move to the point where overleveling is necessary. I wonder how anybody would have the patience to get through a Nuzlocke version of this game.

Good luck then. if u think that its annoying to plan what pokes to use and their move sets, E4 rematches are the most annoying and u dun get to overlevel yr pokes cuz they are all level 100 =S 

1 hour ago, TheFaceGuy said:

Good luck then. if u think that its annoying to plan what pokes to use and their move sets, E4 rematches are the most annoying and u dun get to overlevel yr pokes cuz they are all level 100 =S 

I just wanna get through all the regions so I can have fun doing postgame stuff. Like shiny hunting and breeding for comp.

after the first region i hit like that i decided to do next 2 regions same time and hit lvl max each time... i picked up the pokemon i wanted on global trade market with max speed ivs then fed them max carbos before even using them... makes things so.much easier when im the one hitting first majority of the time

Siempre es positivo comenzar en la region que mas conoces, por que sabes como será la aventura. Lo mas dificil, es que debes de comenzar con cada pokemon que uses para luchar desde cero. Mi recomendacion, es que trates de pasar los gimnasios como puedas, aprendas lo que puedas y te armes un quipo para las ligas. Recuerda que al terminar una aventura, los pokemon cazados los puedes usar para la siguiente. Hay pokemon de aventura que tambien sirven para gimnasios y ligas: Alakazam, un Dragon, en Hoenn encuentras a Beldum, Gyarados, etc. Tener un amigo en el juego tambien ayuda para intercambiar informacion.

It is always positive to start in the region you know best, because you know what the adventure will be like. The most difficult thing is that you must start with each pokemon you use to fight from scratch. My recommendation is that you try to pass the gyms as you can, learn what you can and put together a team for the leagues. Remember that at the end of an adventure, the pokemon hunted can be used for the next one. There are adventure pokemon that also work for gyms and leagues: Alakazam, a Dragon, in Hoenn you find Beldum, Gyarados, etc. Having a friend in the game also helps to exchange information.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:51 AM, Bryce said:

Started in Hoenn since it's a region I'm familiar with, seeing as Ruby was one of my favorite games. I understood that PokeMMO was designed to be more difficult, but I thought that would come into play with higher level opponents that could be countered with smart play.

What I did NOT expect was every gym leader to have coverage moves for every one of their counters while forever getting the first move. Right now I'm in Fortree City and I watched a Skarmory with Iron Head and Altaria WITH EARTHQUAKE decimate my overleveled sweepers that I built to counter this type of thing.

What's the solution? Do I have to hit the level cap EVERY time and build a full team of counters or something? It's not particularly fun to get roadblocked by each gym and be forced to spend hours farming hordes to level up via Exp Share so I can stand a chance.

The 1st region is always the hardest but here's my idea: Use your Blaziken against  skarmory and use your Graveler to take down her Altaria (make sure that it has sturdy, in order to survive that EQ)

23 minutes ago, RealMak said:

The 1st region is always the hardest but here's my idea: Use your Blaziken against  skarmory and use your Graveler to take down her Altaria (make sure that it has sturdy, in order to survive that EQ)

Managed to beat her. I power leveled my Pokemon to the cap and just swapped in a bunch. Also beat the Mossdeep Twins, it seems the solution is just to power level a counter team against hordes.

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Managed to beat her. I power leveled my Pokemon to the cap and just swapped in a bunch. Also beat the Mossdeep Twins, it seems the solution is just to power level a counter team against hordes.

Good job! Once you beat Juan (and his Kingdra), you have to face the E4 for the final challenge and Wallace, the champion. Keep in mind that The order of the E4 is Dark, Ghost, Ice and Dragon and the Champion uses Water types