Horde catching

Alejor

Question

Picture this... I was exploring lostlorn forest and was told there you can find Zorua but disguised as another pokemon with his ability Ilusion. I thought it was cool, i had to hit every pokemon to find out if anyone was Zorua. After i finally found one, i was excited and wanted to catch it... but i got stopped by a line of text stating: ''It's no good! It's impossible to aim when there are two Pokémon!''. I personally find it really annoying having to defeat all pokemon except the one you want to catch. Besides, it's a waste of time in the matter of catching same specie pokemons. 

I briefly discuss the issue with a mod, and he states it is like that just because of the original games. I actually don't remember sweet scent under generation V to trigger horde encounters. Finally, since PokeMMO is a fan-made game and a growing community, i think it would be relevant and advantageous to make the mod and be able to individually choose the pokemon we want to catch; without having to defeat the rest of the horde.    

screenshot_1654707656.png

Edited by Alejor

9 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Alejor said:

Picture this... I was exploring lostlorn forest and was told there you can find Zorua but disguised as another pokemon with his ability Ilusion. I thought it was cool, i had to hit every pokemon to find out if anyone was Zorua. After i finally found one, i was excited and wanted to catch it... but i got stopped by a line of text stating: ''It's no good! It's impossible to aim when there are two Pokémon!''. I personally find it really annoying having to defeat all pokemon except the one you want to catch. Besides, it's a waste of time in the matter of catching same specie pokemons. 

I briefly discuss the issue with a mod, and he states it is like that just because of the original games. I actually don't remember sweet scent under generation V to trigger horde encounters. Finally, since PokeMMO is a fan-made game and a growing community, i think it would be relevant and advantageous to make the mod and be able to individually choose the pokemon we want to catch; without having to defeat the rest of the horde.    

screenshot_1654707656.png

Its been like that for years, ig you too lazy to kill the other mons xD

54 minutes ago, Martirino said:

Its been like that for years, ig you too lazy to kill the other mons xD

But what's the point of it? The fact that it's been like that for years doesn't mean it can't be improved. 

1 minute ago, Alejor said:

But what's the point of it? The fact that it's been like that for years doesn't mean it can't be improved. 

No sense of making a pokemon catchable while other mons are still in the horde imo.

PokeMMO uses this mechanic to balance hordes, allowing for hordes of lesser encountered Pokemon, because there is still added difficulty in catching the Pokemon(having to defeat the entire horde). This mechanic also just makes sense, because you're essentially encountering a 'pack of animals' that work together, being able to catch one and have the encounter abruptly end would take away from this feeling.

There are Pokemon that are great for taking on a horde, I would invite you to explore some different options.

29 minutes ago, Alejor said:

I think the fact of defeating all mons to catch one is nonintuitive. Everyone tries to individually catch at first.

The horde encounter could still go on after catching a single pokemon. 

Nope.

I think it would make sense if we were allowed to catch atleast one of the horde pokemon without killing the others provided all the horde pokes are low health and or statused.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:41 AM, Martirino said:

No sense of making a pokemon catchable while other mons are still in the horde imo.

There are a lot of people who miss out on shinies esp when more than one appear in a horde. For their sake it would be great if more than one poke could be caught from the horde.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:48 AM, Michelle said:

PokeMMO uses this mechanic to balance hordes, allowing for hordes of lesser encountered Pokemon, because there is still added difficulty in catching the Pokemon(having to defeat the entire horde). This mechanic also just makes sense, because you're essentially encountering a 'pack of animals' that work together, being able to catch one and have the encounter abruptly end would take away from this feeling.

There are Pokemon that are great for taking on a horde, I would invite you to explore some different options.

Statusing all the pokes in a horde and leaving them on low hp just to catch 2 would be alot harder than simply KOing all the mons but one.

A pack of fully health mons shouldn't be catchable you're right about that but it would also make sense to be able to catch atleast one of the pokes if they were all low health and or statused (e.g put to sleep).

For my part I agree with the author, it is quite consistent to be able to capture several at the same time and in the same case to be able to capture only one of the horde without having to eliminate the others. It is clear that refusing to modify this is only to piss off the players so that the game is even more time-consuming, because when the game is boring does it seem like it's fun? You have a funny design of the game.Either you agree to modify the game by making quality of life or other modifications to the game, or you are in #nochange but in this case you must restore what has been unfairly removed from the game or modified without valid reason.

In Pokémon Arceus there are herds of Pokémon, it's even more than hordes and that doesn't prevent us from capturing Pokémon in a chain, I want to say why not after all? As much to make the hordes more attractive than to serve as a Shiny or EV generator.