Shaymin (official information)

Edwardinho

On 1/28/2023 at 8:39 AM, SacredDiver said:

I am unsure as to how helpful this information would be to you given that I only had enough Gracideas for three plants. I don't feel like it's enough data to draw any conclusions from but the yield was 4/6/4 and I didn't get any nature herbs.

The yield seems to be 4-6 and the chance for nature herb seems to be 5%. And yeah it is helpful information, any information is helpful tbh

On 1/25/2023 at 8:23 AM, Untotes said:

If I don’t have Sinnoh unlocked and beaten, am I SOL for Shaymin? 

You do NOT need to beat Sinnoh in order to capture Shaymin. It will have helped if you have or have progressed far into the region, but you only need the first badge in order to progress to Floaroma Meadow in the Sinnoh region (took me about an hour or two going slowly).

That being said, Shaymin’s level did not drop at all for me, so it was level 70 when encountered (I’ve beaten Kanto and progressed to badge 5 in Hoenn. Idk if it would have been a lower level if I had only played in Sinnoh with one badge). That means I captured Shaymin with a level cap of 27 for my Pokémon. So don’t give up! If you’ve progressed further in Sinnoh than the first badge, more power to you! For those of us that haven’t progressed far in Sinnoh, let me share my strategy. Mind you, I battled Shaymin about 6 times with this team, but I think that’s worth the about +30k PokeYen in Timer and Ultra Balls I threw before catching Shaymin with this strategy. The 12 Gracidea flowers alone (47k each right now) will recoup your costs if you don’t care about them (or farm and then sell these if you want some for your Shaymin).

Pokemon

Level

Ability

Location Caught

Item

Move 1

Move 2

Move 3

Move 4

Aron

Sturdy

Granite Cave (Hoenn)

None

Harden

Mud-Slap

Metal Claw

Rock Tomb

Aron

Sturdy

Granite Cave (Hoenn)

None

Roar

Mud-Slap

Metal Claw

Rock Tomb

Mightyena

Quick Feet

Route 101 (Hoenn)

Quick Claw

Tackle

Bite

Mud-Slap

Assurance

Misdreavus

Levitate

Route 114 (Hoenn during swarm)

Quick Claw

Hypnosis

Confuse Ray

Hex

Mean Look

Hitmonchan

Iron Fist

Saffron City Dojo (Kanto)

NeverMeltIce

Dizzy Punch

Ice Punch

Fire Punch

Thunderpunch

Lapras

Water Absorb

Silph Co. (Kanto)

Lax Incense

Ice Shard

Sing

Confuse Ray

Mist

First, ignore Move 4 for all Pokémon. I never used any of those moves. I also saw more luck with Ultra Balls than I did Timer Balls. Idk if the Timer Ball mechanic didn’t work as well with Shaymin as it did the Alphas, but you choose which to try using.

Second, the order in the table is the order I used the Pokémon in my party. I started with each Aron doing the same thing. Because of their Sturdy ability, I knew they would each get at least one attack in – Mud-Slap. Spam Mud-Slap with Aron until they have both fainted or Shaymin’s accuracy will no longer drop. If you’re lucky and they’re still around when accuracy won’t go any lower, just attack and deal what damage you can (which is practically zero). With some good RNG, Shaymin will use up one or two of its Synthesize’s and have missed a couple of attacks before both your Aron are gone. I noticed it uses Synthesize with barely any lowered health. But a single Synthesize will heal about half of Shaymin’s overall health without weather changes. I would say at least 3 Mud-slaps need to land before both Aron faint. Mightyena (raised from a lvl 3 Poochyena) is another accuracy dropper with Mud-Slap. I believe after 5 or 6 Mud-Slaps, Shaymin’s accuracy will not drop anymore. Mightyena’s purpose is to try and drop accuracy more to its minimum. If you have another Aron with a Sturdy ability, maybe just use that instead. I did land a Bite or two with Mightyena, which dealt small damage but also made Shaymin flinch once. Hence, the reason for the Quick Claw on Mightyena. If trying for Timer Balls, flinching and missing attacks is the best way to draw out the battle, especially with Pokémon that Shaymin will OHKO.

Thus far, you have only been setting the stage. Minimal to no damage on Shaymin, but (hopefully) drastically lowered accuracy. When I finally caught Shaymin, I only lost the first three Pokémon already mentioned. However, I did deal more damage and got close to catching Shaymin (3 shakes on multiple occasions with either Ultra or Time Balls) having lost Misdreavous and Hitmonchan as well.

Next is Misdreavous. Levitate protected it from a potential Earth Power attack. And the Quick Claw was just for something to be useful. A Spell Tag may have been useful, but I’ll leave that up to you. I prefer the Quick Claw because Confuse Ray is the next strategy. Confuse Shaymin, and you have a chance of not only it hurting itself (the best damage you can deal with these level differentials), but also of lengthening out the battle (think Timer Ball catch rate increases) and getting an opportunity to do what it is you want. Next was Hypnosis. If you are able to get Shaymin low enough in health (yellow was good enough it seemed to me) then Hypnosis will up your capture rate. Additionally, Shaymin will remain confused through sleep so even if it wakes up after one turn, there is still a chance that it will still be confused. Lastly, a status effect ups the damage of Hex, so another reason for the sleep effect. Stay alive, confusing Shaymin and putting it to sleep in case HP lowers to the point you want to spam Balls. I think Shaymin may even have been in the green HP still when I caught it. I never got Shaymin to red HP in any attempt. I got close, so it’s possible if desired.

If Misdreavous faints, Hitmonchan spams Ice Punch. The Iron Fist Ability and NeverMeltIce ups the damage of this super effective move. And with a 10% chance of freezing, you may get lucky. You could try Dizzy or Fire Punch if desired to cause confusion or create a burn. However, both are also only 10% chances. And if you’re lucky, Shaymin’s health will already be lowered enough that you will want to try catching it. Freezing is the best effect, equal to sleeping when increasing catch rates. Hitmonchan’s job is really just damage Shaymin until its health is as low as possible (especially in case of remaining Synthesizes).

Lastly, Lapras. Similar strategy to Misdreavous. Confuse Ray gives you more time and deals more (potential) damage to Shaymin. Sing allows you to put Shaymin to sleep for more time and a better catch rate. And Ice Shard is nice for dealing damage, especially because you get to attack first every time with it. The Lax Incense Lapras holds helps decrease Shaymin’s accuracy more, hopefully buying you more time and attacks.

This was my strategy, and hopefully it helps guide others or sparks other creative methods for catching Shaymin in the last stretches of this amazing event! Good luck to you!

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2023 at 4:54 PM, xLari said:

But why sometimes i get 2, sometimes i get 4? And there is a kind of bug that show 2 in the same place in the same row.

I don't know, it sometimes happens to me too but 3 tablets is how it was supposed to be