Challenge - Building Best PvE team for post game.

The idea of this thread is try to build a team of 6 Pokemons and they must cover most relevant- if not all, farms of PvE. Some farming methods and some things are excluded:
- Utility: HM Slaves(you can have some HMs on team)
- Farming Method: Gym Run
- Farming Method: E4 Run

This isn't a guide, is a challenge to community, to see what would be the most creative idea. 

Rules:
- Don't troll on this challenge, take him seriously. 
- Try to avoid F.E.A.R. strats because most part rely on low-level options, and they're not relevant for majority of things you must face. Also, avoid strats that rely on heal yourself from Pokecenter a lot of times, only exception is Sweet Scent horde call.
- Your team can use anything you want. You can search for mons builds on Guide Tavern
- The best teams would be avaliated by amount of things that they cover and how much efficient they cover.
- You can give tips to other players.

Edit: I will add a paste below to you fill if wants a team for yourself but don't know how to do. Is a thing needed for assist on building.

Spoiler

Do you have some ocarina with you?(Answer with yes/no and if yes, say which ones.):
You Shiny hunt mons?
You go catch some Ghost type mon?
You train EVs with some mon that have a Self-KO move/fleeing move(Like Explosion, Self-Destruct, Memento, Teleport, Take Down, etc...)?:
What mons do you most likely to catch?
You fill box with some mon(Ditto or mons from a specific egg group)?

My plate would be like: 

Do you have some ocarina with you?(Answer with yes/no and if yes, say which ones.): Yes, have Fly, Surf, Teleport and Cut.
You Shiny hunt mons? No
You go catch some Ghost type mon? usually not.
You train EVs with some mon that have a Self-KO move/fleeing move(Like Explosion, Self-Destruct, Memento, Teleport, Take Down, etc...)?: Yes. Rapidash on Route 12 Unova(Has Flare Blitz and Take Down), and Rhydon on Sinnoh Victory Road(Have Take Down)
What mons do you most likely to catch? - Eevee and Zorua. Also ditto.
You fill box with some mon(Ditto or mons from a specific egg group)?: Yes. Usually Fairy Egg Group Boxes, to sell to Chansey Shinyhunters.

Explaining each question:
Do you have some ocarina with you?(Answer with yes/no and if yes, say which ones.) - Cut some HM moves from their team.
You Shiny hunt mons? - Checking if need a mon to search the target mon. Like: a Imprison + Self-Destruct Claydol to Koffings, Conversion Ghost Smeargle to avoid take downs, etc...
You go catch some Ghost type mon? - Is a question to decide catcher. 
You train EVs with some mon that have a Self-KO move/fleeing move(Like Explosion, Self-Destruct, Memento, Teleport, Take Down, etc...)? - Recommend also efficient places to level with no risk of Suicide Shiny, that could force Master Ball, or strats to block those moves from working.
What mons do you most likely to catch? - If applicable, a good mon to get life easier to search the mons you most likely go catch. Example: Reactive Gas Weezing for Zorua.
You fill box with some mon(Ditto or mons from a specific egg group)? - If there's still space you can fit 2 catchers on those team to you don't return to pokecenter.

Edited by caioxlive13

I will start with my team.

Paste Link: https://pokepast.es/ca0a2becb7dac53e

Explaining each mon:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb  
Ability: Poison Heal  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def  
Adamant or Jolly Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- False Swipe  
- Substitute  
- Spore  

Breloom are a catcher mon of this team. Are good due to substitute, to help catch even dittos(not alpha). Their moveset is default. Sadly it can't hit ghost types but it can deal good damage due to far superior atk stat than Smeargle. Poison Heal + Toxic Orb heals more than a leftovers and don't let mons with bothering status condition moves become a problem to you. Rock slide is there just for coverage and was choose because it can at least hit every type(no one are immune to it). Breloom have a natural good speed so this spread is just to give it longevity.

Spinda @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Contrary  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Skill Swap  
- Baton Pass  
- Swagger  
- Confide  

This Spinda strat is to help catching Alphas. All you usually need is Skill Swap to pass contrary and Baton pass to get out of field. The spread is to get a bit of longevity. If you want to be careful, use Focus Sash to avoid OHKOs. Rest of set are complete garbage but is intentional: If the alpha is a ditto you can just lead with spinda to he copy this garbage set and he can't attack your breloom. EZ catch.

Teddiursa @ Silk Scarf  
Ability: Pickup  
EVs: 202 Atk / 252 SpA / 54 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Hyper Voice  
- Earthquake  
- Sweet Scent  
- Shadow Claw  

Horde Killer of this team, Hyper Voice and EQ destroys all important hordes to train EVs, that are follows:

Spoiler

HP: Sealeo on Route 230 - You would like bring a Choice band for this horde.
Atk: Rhydon on Sinnoh Victory Road 
Def: Slowbro on Cape Brink - Grass
Sp. Atk: Golduck also on Cape Brink - Water
Sp. Def: Tentacruel on Battle Frontier
Speed: Rapidash on Unova R12/Persian on Six Island

Shadow Claw is just for coverage. Use whatever you want, but preferable not be AoE move. The strat are from DragoTamer's Guide, link on Spoiler.

Spoiler

Meowth @ Silk Scarf  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Pay Day  
- Thief  
- Covet  
- U-turn  

Since i've provided a Horde Killer, i will not run Hyper Voice on this. Full Physical set. Covet are on set to have more power due to stab and kill things that Thief couldn't kill by a few amount of HP. Thief will still be on set to be extra PP. Pay day is their main move. U-Turn is in case of you find a Shiny Horde, you can use it to kill one mon and immediataly switch.

Cinccino @ Muscle Band  
Ability: Skill Link  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Bullet Seed  
- Tail Slap  
- Rock Blast  
- Aqua Tail  

A mon for Route farming. Good because have a lot of PP and multi-hit moves + Skill link, to Sturdy don't bother you.

Weezing @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Neutralizing Gas  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Sludge Bomb
- Screech  
- Flash  
- Smokescreen  

Zorua farming and for annoying alphas even more(lowering stats), this mon can be a good addition to your team. Flash is good for exploration and for dropping accuracy. Smokescreen is just there to fill space.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What farms and utilitys this team can coverage?

• Pay Day farming
  • Alpha Catching
  • General Catching
  • Zorua Farming
  • Horde killing
  • Ditto Farming
Edited by caioxlive13

Thanks for linking my guide above! I highly recommend Teddiursa as the best pickup poke for fighting hordes. If you take a look at Meowth's section, it can manage if you want a paydayer, but not as well as Teddiursa can. Munchlax is another option as well and can utilize covet, pay day, and EQ very well with its high base attack. Regardless of the pickup poke you choose, I created a leveling strat to safely level each of those 3. The leveling strats for each of them are included in the guide linked above in the second spoiler section.

I recommend following the Breloom guide and Smeargle guide below for part of your PvE 6 poke team. Both will be adamant nature. For the smeargle set, I would use the most common build listed at the beginning. The EV spreads are especially useful since I focused on ensuring there was enough speed to outspeed the fastest alpha on turn 1. Smeargle requires 200 speed EVs and Breloom will require 240 speed EVs. after maximizing attack EVs, the rest can go into HP.

The Smeargle guide also has many other builds that are useful for PvE such as the conversion build.

Edited by DragoTamer

Also I hope this part is also informative, it's very difficult to build an "optimal" 6 poke team for PvE post game since what you need varies regularly. especially with any ocarinas you may or may not have. Things also change if you're a shunter so you might need specific smeargle shunting sets outlined in the smeargle guide above, a damp parasect, etc. I'd definitely say there are indispensable pieces to a team such as spinda for alphas, definitely adamant nature breloom and adamant nature smeargle, conversion smeargle if you're a swarm hunter and want to catch pokes that use double edge and take down, and damp parasect if you plan to shunt explosion/selfdestruct pokes

2 hours ago, DragoTamer said:

Also I hope this part is also informative, it's very difficult to build an "optimal" 6 poke team for PvE post game since what you need varies regularly. especially with any ocarinas you may or may not have. Things also change if you're a shunter so you might need specific smeargle shunting sets outlined in the smeargle guide above, a damp parasect, etc. I'd definitely say there are indispensable pieces to a team such as spinda for alphas, definitely adamant nature breloom and adamant nature smeargle, conversion smeargle if you're a swarm hunter and want to catch pokes that use double edge and take down, and damp parasect if you plan to shunt explosion/selfdestruct pokes

True... HM slaves i didn't include because when you reach on point of building a PvE Team you have already all ocarinas, or the 3 most important ones(Fly , Surf and Cut), so the maximum that you would like is rock smash on a mon, strenght on another, to fill spaces. And the goal isn't build a team that coverage absolutely everything, because this is almost impossible. The goal is cover all most important farms and utilitys, or the majority of they. My team have tools for catching almost every mon with a few exceptions(aka self-ko) , 3 types of farming, level up and EVs, and also i can catch alphas with the team. Is a good team? yes. Is the better one? i'm 100% certain that not.

Edited by caioxlive13

You can include strength and rock smash on Spinda since Spinda mainly serves to skill swap. Breloom and Smeargle, both adamant nature with the EVs in the guides above, are fantastic on a team together so that's a set of 3 for you. If you really want, you can prepare a Klutz Lopunny with a Careful nature to emphasize its ability to be a special tank for alphas. It's main role is to use switcheroo and you can also teach it thunder wave, protect, and substitute and give it the assault vest item. It's main use is for Alphas that use roost, rest, etc.

As I said before, it's impossible to have just 6 pokes that can optimally handle all situations. If we're thinking about horde fainting, Teddiursa is optimal. If you plan on battling the main hordes for EVs such as rapidash, tentacruel, rhydon, marill, pelipper, etc. while pay daying, meowth might be a better option. Having said this,

Having said all this, it's ultimately up to how you play PvE. I'd personally recommend having PvE ready and in your PC so you can swap them as needed. Having said this, I can make a list below:

Alphas: Spinda, smeargle, breloom, lopunny, quagsire

Pickup: Teddiursa, Meowth, Munchlax

Pay day: Meowth, Munchlax

Specific hordes + Pay day: Meowth

Shunting: Various smeargle movesets

Breeding: Flame body/magma armor pokemon

Ash collection: pokemon with similar abilities to intimidate, white smoke, stench, etc. to repel wild pokemon

Safari catching + legendary catching: Pokemon with the ability swarm like heracross

Swarm catching: Conversion smeargle + soak smeargle

HM buddies: Several ways to do this depending on the ocarinas you have.

Gym run pokemon: Almost every team utilizes typhlosion

There are more options i'm sure, but i'm writing this all from what I can remember right now

23 minutes ago, DragoTamer said:

You can include strength and rock smash on Spinda since Spinda mainly serves to skill swap. Breloom and Smeargle, both adamant nature with the EVs in the guides above, are fantastic on a team together so that's a set of 3 for you. If you really want, you can prepare a Klutz Lopunny with a Careful nature to emphasize its ability to be a special tank for alphas. It's main role is to use switcheroo and you can also teach it thunder wave, protect, and substitute and give it the assault vest item. It's main use is for Alphas that use roost, rest, etc.

As I said before, it's impossible to have just 6 pokes that can optimally handle all situations. If we're thinking about horde fainting, Teddiursa is optimal. If you plan on battling the main hordes for EVs such as rapidash, tentacruel, rhydon, marill, pelipper, etc. while pay daying, meowth might be a better option. Having said this,

Having said all this, it's ultimately up to how you play PvE. I'd personally recommend having PvE ready and in your PC so you can swap them as needed. Having said this, I can make a list below:

Ash collection: pokemon with similar abilities to intimidate, white smoke, stench, etc. to repel wild pokemon

Safari catching + legendary catching: Pokemon with the ability swarm like heracross

There are more options i'm sure, but i'm writing this all from what I can remember right now

I suggest Linoone for an HM Slave if you have the 3 most important Ocarinas (Surf, Fly and Cut). It leans Strength, Rock Smash, and Rock Climb (you'd still be missing Flash and Waterfall but I don't think those are as important, I recommend getting a Waterfall Ocarina anyways). Bonus, it has Pickup ability too, you can give it Covet and maybe you can even use it for farming? 2 in 1 kek

Edit: Dragonite is another good option, as it gets Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall and Dive

Edited by OGQT

If you're looking at HM buddies, i'd actually recommend a different set. The first set would be smeargles outlined in the guide above because they can learn any four and are extremely versatile as they can work around the ocarinas you do or do not have. The second set I recommend is in a guide linked below:

4 hours ago, DragoTamer said:

even if all PvE player had their distinct objectives we have some things that are universal and undispensable, not mattering what you most like to do.

• You generally need a Horde Killer and Catcher. Absolutely mandatory for all teams.
  • Safari i don't reccomend even visit due to risk of a shiny flee.
  • Most likely you wish to leave a Spinda ready to catch a alpha if appears.
  • HM buddies if you didn't have ocarinas...

I created an optimal alpha spinda guide and optimal cute charmer which is delcatty guide and i'll link both below. These can help with building your ideal PvE team or a set of optimal PvE pokemon.

To everyone reading, an important thing to keep in mind is that if you're going to spend the yen on a breed, get the most out of it. For example, if you are planning to spend yen to purchase a Meowth for pay day farming or breed one, you might as well pay to have the correct nature. The optimal nature for meowth is brave and the next two best ones are lonely and naughty and I explained the rationale for that in the pickup guide. Adamant is a poor nature because it lowers the special attack making it harder for Meowth to utilize hyper voice to take out EV hordes. If you are spending the yen, get the full use out of the pokemon rather than knowingly spending the same amount of yen for a pokemon that lacks its full usage range. A large chunk of PvE is about being wise with yen to get the most utility which is what the guides are meant to do!

Thanks for creating this kind of thread to discuss PvE builds

Edited by DragoTamer
15 minutes ago, DragoTamer said:

I created an optimal alpha spinda guide and optimal cute charmer which is delcatty guide and i'll link both below. These can help with building your ideal PvE team or a set of optimal PvE pokemon.

To everyone reading, an important thing to keep in mind is that if you're going to spend the yen on a breed, get the most out of it. For example, if you are planning to spend yen to purchase a Meowth for pay day farming or breed one, you might as well pay to have the correct nature. The optimal nature for meowth is brave and the next two best ones are lonely and naughty and I explained the rationale for that in the pickup guide. Adamant is a poor nature because it lowers the special attack making it harder for Meowth to utilize hyper voice to take out EV hordes. If you are spending the yen, get the full use out of the pokemon rather than knowingly spending the same amount of yen for a pokemon that lacks its full usage range. A large chunk of PvE is about being wise with yen to get the most utility which is what the guides are meant to do!

Thanks for creating this kind of thread to discuss PvE builds and how to build a 6 pokemon team @caioxlive13

We will shifthing this accordingly to our necessitys on our teams. For example: I can use a Meowth with adamant nature Safety if i go on my team with a Teddiursa. I will not really need of hyper voice. Maybe i don't even need meowth, i can fit out Pay Day on a Smeargle set.

52 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

We will shifthing this accordingly to our necessitys on our teams. For example: I can use a Meowth with adamant nature Safety if i go on my team with a Teddiursa. I will not really need of hyper voice. Maybe i don't even need meowth, i can fit out Pay Day on a Smeargle set.

Adamant is a wasteful nature. If you are spending 200K on a meowth, it’s better to nature it properly. Why would you spend 200K on a meowth that can only pay day when you can spend 200K on a meowth that can pay day and use hyper voice. Don’t waste your yen. You can reference DragoTamer’s smesrgle guide for a smeargle pay day build. He also said teddiursa is the optimal horde battler.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:10 PM, caioxlive13 said:

I will start with my team.

Paste Link: https://pokepast.es/ca0a2becb7dac53e

Explaining each mon:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb  
Ability: Poison Heal  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def  
Adamant or Jolly Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- False Swipe  
- Substitute  
- Spore  

Breloom are a catcher mon of this team. Are good due to substitute, to help catch even dittos(not alpha). Their moveset is default. Sadly it can't hit ghost types but it can deal good damage due to far superior atk stat than Smeargle. Poison Heal + Toxic Orb heals more than a leftovers and don't let mons with bothering status condition moves become a problem to you. Rock slide is there just for coverage and was choose because it can at least hit every type(no one are immune to it). Breloom have a natural good speed so this spread is just to give it longevity.

Spinda @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Contrary  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Skill Swap  
- Baton Pass  
- Swagger  
- Confide  

This Spinda strat is to help catching Alphas. All you usually need is Skill Swap to pass contrary and Baton pass to get out of field. The spread is to get a bit of longevity. If you want to be careful, use Focus Sash to avoid OHKOs. Rest of set are complete garbage but is intentional: If the alpha is a ditto you can just lead with spinda to he copy this garbage set and he can't attack your breloom. EZ catch.

Teddiursa @ Silk Scarf  
EVs: 202 Atk / 252 SpA / 54 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Hyper Voice  
- Earthquake  
- Sweet Scent  
- Shadow Claw  

Horde Killer of this team, Hyper Voice and EQ destroys all important hordes to train EVs, that are follows:

Reveal hidden contents

HP: Sealeo on Route 230 - You would like bring a Choice band for this horde.
Atk: Rhydon on Sinnoh Victory Road 
Def: Slowbro on Cape Brink - Grass
Sp. Atk: Golduck also on Cape Brink - Water
Sp. Def: Tentacruel on Battle Frontier
Speed: Rapidash on Unova R12/Persian on Six Island

Shadow Claw is just for coverage. Use whatever you want, but preferable not be AoE move. The strat are from DragoTamer's Guide, link on Spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Meowth @ Silk Scarf  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Pay Day  
- Thief  
- Covet  
- U-turn  

Since i've provided a Horde Killer, i will not run Hyper Voice on this. Full Physical set. Covet are on set to have more power due to stab and kill things that Thief couldn't kill by a few amount of HP. Thief will still be on set to be extra PP. Pay day is their main move. U-Turn is in case of you find a Shiny Horde, you can use it to kill one mon and immediataly switch.

Cinccino @ Muscle Band  
Ability: Skill Link  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Bullet Seed  
- Tail Slap  
- Rock Blast  
- Aqua Tail  

A mon for Route farming. Good because have a lot of PP and multi-hit moves + Skill link, to Sturdy don't bother you.

Weezing @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Neutralizing Gas  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Sludge Bomb
- Screech  
- Flash  
- Smokescreen  

Zorua farming and for annoying alphas even more(lowering stats), this mon can be a good addition to your team. Flash is good for exploration and for dropping accuracy. Smokescreen is just there to fill space.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What farms and utilitys this team can coverage?

• Pay Day farming
  • Alpha Catching
  • General Catching
  • Zorua Farming
  • Horde killing
  • Ditto Farming

Howdy! Notice some tweaks that can be made, to start with on the Meowth. Meowth would better be used to have hyper voice and odor sleuth instead of uturn and thief and I strongly encourage a nature such as brave, lonely or naughty for players in so they don't have to do another rebreed if you choose to add hyper voice later. Also Meowth is fast enough that at lvl 100 even with no investment and a negative speed nature it still outspeeds a majority of mons, which would make this set ideal for pay daying. Another bonus is you can avoid carrying teddi with you everywhere in case you are payday/pickup farming and not horde farming, which will free up a spot on your team for a mon with teleport such as slowbro (doubling as an hm mon) if you do not have access to ocarina already. Another benefit of this would be being able to payday ghosts if you are say catching chaos breeders or rotom.

There are also other spinda builds you can use, such as from the Spinda Guide created by DragoTamer so you would not have to use focus sash. Also why not include another paydayer such as Munchlax or Meowth instead of Cinicino? Wouldn't it be more efficient to avoid doing single encounters that might run into sturdy and just payday those that don't?

DragoTamer's Spinda Guide can be found at: 

16 hours ago, shamorunner said:

Adamant is a wasteful nature. If you are spending 200K on a meowth, it’s better to nature it properly. Why would you spend 200K on a meowth that can only pay day when you can spend 200K on a meowth that can pay day and use hyper voice. Don’t waste your yen. You can reference DragoTamer’s smesrgle guide for a smeargle pay day build. He also said teddiursa is the optimal horde battler.

I've done a Meowth because i already have two persian shinys and doesn't want to throw both at trash because i don't have shinys that breed with him(No, i will not buy a shiny mon and turn it on a comp mon, unknown OT sucks). My meowth aren't even adamant(comes Quirkly) and i will not buy shinys to fix it. Also, like i sayed: I don't need to Hyper Voice with meowth because i use already Teddiursa to Horde killing.

Usually i use a Smeargle with Pay Day because i can farm some money while run for a Marill full Box

Edited by caioxlive13