Hoenn Overworld Main Story NDS Style Characters MOD

One thing that bothers me a lot when playing in Hoenn, are the main characters with original GBA sprites that are in an unpleasant contrast with the other npcs of the map.

These characters are:
Prof. Birch
Player's Mom
Brendan
May
Wally
All Gym Leaders
All Magma Team and its leader
Maxie
All Aqua Team and its leader
Archie
All Elite Four Trainers
Wallace
and Steve

I don't know if it's currently possible, but it would be great if a mod was made to replace the sprites of these characters that are so important and that bother a lot, with their appearance in relation to other npcs.
Kanto doesn't suffer from this problem because all characters (main and minor) were similarly replaced by sprites from their version of HeartGold.

I don't know if this bothers anyone else, but it bothers me so much to the point where it becomes unpleasant playing the main Hoenn story and battling gym leaders or elite four and etc.

Edited by AxNightmareXb

The sprites of the mentioned characters could be replaced by some of these that I found on DeviantArt, given the due credits to the creators.

The problem is, is it possible?

I did something similar a while ago, and I managed to get the sprites to appear in the PokeMMO but they got bigger than usual. And recently I went to try to recreate the mod once again and it didn't appear in the game anymore, as if support for modifying overworld character sprites had been removed.

So, I enlist the help of someone talented enough to solve the problem, so visually unpleasant that are these gba-style characters in Hoenn.

Hoenn 1st Gym Leader Roxanne.png

Hoenn 2nd Gym Leader Brawly.png

Hoenn 3rd Gym Leader Wattson.png

Hoenn 4th Gym Leader Flannery.png

Hoenn 5th Gym Leader Norman.png

Hoenn 6th Gym Leader Winona.png

Hoenn 7th Gym Leader Liza.png

Hoenn 7th Gym Leader Tate.png

Hoenn 8th Gym Leader Juan.png

Hoenn Champion Wallace.png

Hoenn 1th Elite Four Sidney.png

Hoenn Player Character May.png

Hoenn Player Character Brendan.png

Hoenn Player's Rival Wally.png

Hoenn Prof Birch.png

Hoenn Steven.png

Hoenn Team Aqua Boss.png

Hoenn Team Magma Boss.png

Hoenn Team Magma Grunt.png

Edited by AxNightmareXb
  • AxNightmareXb changed the title to Hoenn Overworld Main Story NDS Style Characters MOD
11 hours ago, AxNightmareXb said:

The sprites of the mentioned characters could be replaced by some of these that I found on DeviantArt, given the due credits to the creators.

I did something similar a while ago, and I managed to get the sprites to appear in the PokeMMO but they got bigger than usual. And recently I went to try to recreate the mod once again and it didn't appear in the game anymore, as if support for modifying overworld character sprites had been removed.

So, I enlist the help of someone talented enough to solve the problem, so visually unpleasant that are these gba-style characters in Hoenn.

Hoenn Prof Birch.png

Hoenn Steven.png

Hoenn Team Aqua Boss.png

I believe the only way to do this its by editing the rom itself, but I believe Emerald have smaller resolution for those sprites, making almost always looking like what we have

On 5/29/2023 at 8:06 AM, AxNightmareXb said:

Hoenn Prof Birch.png

Hoenn Steven.png

Hoenn Team Aqua Boss.png

well, about the size, see this 

the size is doubled by default for fan games

Edited by AdamantSceptile
4 hours ago, AxNightmareXb said:

Interesting. can you create a working mod to replace the sprite of some of these characters?

well, i went to check if it was still possible to create overworld sprite mods so i dumped the moddable resources and apparently yes.

• The dump folder has the files of a normal mod: 2124780395_Screenshot2023-06-01163803.png.01479ac3f3794480f0f7411607cf84da.png
  • The sprite folder has 5 types of sprites, which includes overworldsprites: 1914876091_Screenshot2023-06-01163719.png.f911263c5e538975ccbc3e4992a83db1.png
  • The overworld sprites folder is apparently divided into three sections, 0 for FRLG, 1 for EM and 2 for BW (No PT folder):1740679162_Screenshot2023-06-01163729.png.2719c1006257679d8512d1368a985dba.png
  • And finally, the sprites are apparently divided into one frame per image, which makes this process of modding in the sprites way harder, these sprites are also using the default emerald sizes, and not the ds bw sizes:

1380619604_Screenshot2023-06-01163738.png.5d7fd193d06fe5bd3be4c43a84513b0c.png

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BueiConMayo said:

@AdamantSceptile

Por casualidad no tendrás esa carpeta para descargar? Me intereza editar los sprites a mi antojo. Gracias ♥

Do you happen to have that folder to download? I am interested in editing the sprites at will. Thanks ♥

Well, i don't have the link for downloading it but its the PokeMMO dump folder so you can get it, by going to settings>utilities>Dump Moddable Resources in you client.

Bueno, no tengo un enlace para descargarlo, pero es la carpeta de volcado de PokeMMO para que puedas obtenerlo, yendo a configuración>utilidades>Volcar recursos modificables en tu cliente.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, AIMERAIMERAIMER said:

p sure, if you changed the dumped sprites, overworld sprites wont change(tried this before). Unless change/edit the sprites within the game itself by means of rom hacking(not sure if this works)

Yes it works if you change the rom itself but Hoenn (emerald) has some low pixel sprites and that can be helped

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Neil55 said:

Would be very interested in this mod, the GBA sprites also bother me a lot. (I never really liked how they looked even back in the day)

if you already have Heartgold applied to your client, thats the only thing to do with overworld npc sprites

emerald have really tiny npc sprites, even if modded, it wont look good

51 minutes ago, PikachuyEmolga said:

vamos en resumen no seria posible, hacer un mod. donde cambia los sprites de esmeralda. a los ds no? una lastima, me hubiera gustado un mod asi.

lo maximo que se puede hacer es tener agregado heartgold (edicion oro) eso ya actualiza algunos npc, los unicos que no cambian son los lideres y algunos personajes de la historia pero no se puede hacer nada para eso porque los sprites originales de esmeralda son demasiado pequeños para que se vean bien de alguna manera

23 hours ago, budadeth said:

if you already have Heartgold applied to your client, thats the only thing to do with overworld npc sprites

emerald have really tiny npc sprites, even if modded, it wont look good

Forgive me if i'm being stupid but all the regular route trainers from Hoenn already have HGSS sprites, and even some important characters like Steven have DS quality sprites. Why couldn't the other trainers have them? Is there something different that would prevent it?

Edited by Neil55
2 minutes ago, Neil55 said:

Forgive me if i'm being stupid but all the trainers from Hoenn already have HGSS sprites, and even some important characters like Steven have DS quality sprites. Why couldn't the other trainers have them? Is there something different that would prevent it?

the thing is that the other trainers have their sprites replaced with HGSS versions, since the trainers also appear in HGSS, Steven is a post game character in HGSS, etc.

32 minutes ago, Neil55 said:

Forgive me if i'm being stupid but all the regular route trainers from Hoenn already have HGSS sprites, and even some important characters like Steven have DS quality sprites. Why couldn't the other trainers have them? Is there something different that would prevent it?

What AdamantSceptile said, some npc just dont appear on Heartgold to replace them

Maybe in the future mods work again to overworld sprites lets hope devs check out this

2 hours ago, AdamantSceptile said:

the thing is that the other trainers have their sprites replaced with HGSS versions, since the trainers also appear in HGSS, Steven is a post game character in HGSS, etc.

2 hours ago, budadeth said:

What AdamantSceptile said, some npc just dont appear on Heartgold to replace them

Maybe in the future mods work again to overworld sprites lets hope devs check out this

Okay yeah fair enough. I forgot that Steven was in HGSS lol, thanks for reminding me. Hopefully things change in the future

• 3 weeks later...

There 'd be a table made by pokemmo developers that link Pkmn Emerald trainer number #XXX sprite (Steven Stone) with HGSS trainer #YYY (Steven stone), and replace that graphics.

If you edit the graphic in HGSS, the sprite would remain at the correct scale in Hoenn. 

So I guess if you impose a gba sprite like to redirect to HGSS sprite with a similar string of code, you'll probably avoid the problem of enlarged sprite.

For example Battle Frontier and Pokeathlon aren't currently supported in Pokemmo.

You may exploit those unused sprites to appear in Hoenn as substitute graphic.

Like you replace May/Brendan GBA with Lyra/Ethan in pokeathlone outfit, from HGSS rom.

Then you make a MOD  with your custom sprite of May/Brendan in NDS style.

I'm confident this way they won't look enlarged.

Prof. Birch can become Maximo.

Team Idro/Acqua can be substituted by the Ace Trainer of BF.

But I dunno if that table of conversion is open source and the devs allows changes.

Hoenn really needs a graphic refresh, to stand on pair with the other region.

Edited by Proteus84
6 hours ago, Proteus84 said:

There 'd be a table made by pokemmo developers that link Pkmn Emerald trainer number #XXX sprite (Steven Stone) with HGSS trainer #YYY (Steven stone), and replace that graphics.

If you edit the graphic in HGSS, the sprite would remain at the correct scale in Hoenn. 

So I guess if you impose a gba sprite like to redirect to HGSS sprite with a similar string of code, you'll probably avoid the problem of enlarged sprite.

For example Battle Frontier and Pokeathlon aren't currently supported in Pokemmo.

You may exploit those unused sprites to appear in Hoenn as substitute graphic.

Like you replace May/Brendan GBA with Lyra/Ethan in pokeathlone outfit, from HGSS rom.

Then you make a MOD  with your custom sprite of May/Brendan in NDS style.

I'm confident this way they won't look enlarged.

Prof. Birch can become Maximo.

Team Idro/Acqua can be substituted by the Ace Trainer of BF.

But I dunno if that table of conversion is open source and the devs allows changes.

Hoenn really needs a graphic refresh, to stand on pair with the other region.

Thats right, it could be possible

But its hell of a work to acchieve 

Not easy for sure

Maybe that info helps the author of this post

Edited by budadeth