Items to Improve Singles Metagaming

People already had a good discussion opener in Doubles Tier Discussion request about Safety Goggles, an item that could potentially improve the metagame and playing experience of Doubles. That made people think which other items have we got past Gen 5 that arguably could improve the metagame. @OrangeManiac have done a thread for the Doubles Items, and i decided to bring one for Singles Metagaming, and most part of thread was copied by their thread so there is the credits.

Firstly, the devs have shown they are willing to do quite big shakes to the game with the likes of Assault Gear (Assault Vest in core games) to be introduced to the game. From my experience, Assault Gear in PokeMMO has mostly been a positive addition. Because devs have shown willingness to add new items to the game from post Gen 5 generations, I'll do my best to explain which items deserve a spot in the game in my opinion from Singles perspective.

I grouped these items based on the utility and potential risk. Keep in mind, these are only my opinion. Feel free to comment with your thoughts.

Group 1 - Definitely good for the game

Ability Shield - One item that was released on Scarlet and Violet, and can be a decent buff for some mons. This item's effect is pretty simple: Your ability cannot be changed or has their effects bypassed by any item/move/ability. So you with this item can't lose your guts by other mons. This on MMO can be useful because the Ability supress of Reactive Gas works basically like you're using Gastro Acid on the opponent mon, without wasting your turn's move to do that, effectively preventing the ability from working(I will see Serperior Abusing of this against Weezing A LOT.) unless devs change the way reactive gas works to ignore this item. Also this negates the other ability's effect of bypassing your ability, so your magic bounce user will reflect the status moves even against a Mold Breaker mon, and a Mold Breaker mon would no longer be able to bypass levitate. 

Protective Pads - This one has a very unique effect: Protects users from adverse effects when using contact moves, except pickpocket if some weavile uses it. This is basically a protection to Mummy, Flame Body, but most important, rocky helmet and iron barbs/rough skin. 

Group 2 - Probably good for the game but there might be concerns

Loaded Dice - This item is not too great but it can have their niche on some mons, especially Ambipon, Breloom and Cinccino. Basically every Multi-hit move that hits 2-5 times will guarranted have 4 hits at least, and still had the roll for the 5th. Breloom can use this to boost their Bullet Seed's average power to a new level and Ambipon and Cinccino can combine it with their Technican multi hit moves. For Cinccino, it would be a great buff, because it could use the item and sacrifice some dmg to use it combined with technician, getting almost same dmg as it has with Choice Band Skill link, with the advantage of not getting choice-locked.

Group 3 - Potentially broken for metagaming.

Heavy-Duty Boots - This is the most controversial item of this list. While this is a great buff to some defensive mons that they're really needing, due to every single buff offensives got and nerfs they gets, this also make some mons acceptable today, insanely broken. 2 rapid examples: Dragonite and Volcarona for OU. The reason it are so controversial is the power it would give to mons that doesn't are too strong right now just because they barely can enter on field mainly due to hazards, like the two ones i mentioned on OU, but also Yanmega and Venomoth potentially on UU. If this item is ever coming to the meta, Knock off would've been forcedly buffed otherwise devs would need to ban a good amount of mons that will be out of control.
Or a Rework on the item: If the dmg you're taking from a hazard is equal or lower than 20%, it will be negated with the message "The hazard has no effect due to the Heavy-duty Boots!"but if it's higher, then it would say: "Some stones/spikes penetrated through the Heavy-duty Boots!" and deal half the dmg it would be.

For reference: 3,125%(Rocks vs 0.25x effective) - Negated dmg // 6,25%(Rocks vs 0.5x effective) - Negated dmg // 12,5%(Rocks vs 1x effective // 1 layer Spikes) - Negated dmg // 16,67%(2 Spikes Layers) - Negated dmg // 25%(Rocks vs 2x effective // 3 Spikes Layer) - 12,5% penetration dmg // 50% (Rocks vs 4x effective) - 25% penetration dmg.

Edited by caioxlive13

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.