Add character head sprites to team/link chat for a more personalized chat experience with friends

JWTree

Question

9 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

It's not quite as simple as that unfortunately, the characters vanity items have the potential to extend long (both in width and in height) to cover neighboring messages.

Here is a visual example:

image.png.fc1e276ccb550235130a914a50ed486d.png

I wonder what percentage of vanity items would cover messages. the hat stack isn't a commonly used vanity from my experience, and having the option to toggle whether or not head sprites are visible in team/link/whisper chat might be nice for those who don't mind if the occasional vanity overlapping a neighboring message (assuming chat would still play nice with overlap). I understand the hat stack is just one vertical example, and I'm not sure how wide the widest is and how much it would hinder your ability to read chat. 

4 minutes ago, JWTree said:

I wonder what percentage of vanity items would cover messages. the hat stack isn't a commonly used vanity from my experience, and having the option to toggle whether or not head sprites are visible in team/link/whisper chat might be nice for those who don't mind if the occasional vanity overlapping a neighboring message (assuming chat would still play nice with overlap). I understand the hat stack is just one vertical example, and I'm not sure how wide the widest is and how much it would hinder your ability to read chat. 

As you've pointed out, it would of course depend on the vanity item, however it is technically possible to cover any of this space:

image.png.d262d6452064cf3e41eb0ef178a43e8d.png

1 minute ago, Darkshade said:

As you've pointed out, it would of course depend on the vanity item, however it is technically possible to cover any of this space:

oh that's a massive area and paints a clearer picture of the issue with this change. Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by JWTree
2 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

The solution could be giving the square the height of the row message and adapt the image to that size. You could reduce the image size or crop it.

9 minutes ago, sherteminys said:

The solution could be giving the square the height of the row message and adapt the image to that size. You could reduce the image size or crop it.

definitely could work, but I can see that causing a reduced larger vanity to look blurry or just not looking good next to other smaller vanities that haven't been reduced. a "large" vanity is still just pixel art and can only be downsized so much without losing detail/warping the image. in your signature pic for example, the smiley face that shows Zephyboi is on your friends list is only 17x17 pixels. we're not dealing with a lot of real estate.

Edited by JWTree
27 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I am curious what head vanity would take up that massive space. I'm looking through my friends list and don't see anything that big. you could fit nearly12 regular sized heads in that square. the Green Harvest Crown i used in the example is one of the biggest vanities I've seen. 

7 minutes ago, JWTree said:

I am curious what head vanity would take up that massive space. I'm looking through my friends list and don't see anything that big. you could fit nearly12 regular sized heads in that square. the Green Harvest Crown i used in the example is one of the biggest vanities I've seen. 

There may not be a current example, it's just the overall drawing area that could be utilized to draw head vanities in.

27 minutes ago, JWTree said:

definitely could work, but I can see that causing a reduced larger vanity to look blurry or just not looking good next to other smaller vanities that haven't been reduced. a "large" vanity is still just pixel art and can only be downsized so much without losing detail/warping the image. in your signature pic for example, the smiley face that shows Zephyboi is on your friends list is only 17x17 pixels. we're not dealing with a lot of real estate.

I am firmly of the opinion that pixel art should not be scaled downwards at all if it can be at all helped.