Tchat supervision of non-English speaking communities

Good evening everyone,

I'm writing here after much reflection regarding the state of non-English-speaking communities, using the moderation of the French community as a basis. To be honest, I'll also elaborate on what led me to ponder this question, although it may be considered secondary. If you want to focus on the main question, I've highlighted the essential parts in bold.

To ensure everyone understands me here, I'll have to use a translation that may not be 100% accurate, so feel free to refer to the original message in French if in doubt - which you can translate on your own.

The purpose of this message is to be as objective as possible, although initially motivated primarily by my own opinions on the matter. I'll try to separate the two each time, hoping that this separation isn't drowned out by the translation.

A few weeks ago, I personally wanted to ask the community about their thoughts on the French moderation of the global chat, which I often found harsh; many were muted without warning for jokes, while at other times dramas unfolded for several minutes without any moderation intervention.

That's what motivated me to create a Google Forms in the first place.
I have the statistics of the form at hand, but it wouldn't be of much interest to share them with you due to its low participation compared to the entire French global - even considering the most active participants (about thirty of them responded, and while it's not bad, it's still too small a sample).
However, in this form, I left text areas for people to explain more in-depth their opinions on the game.
The more I received these opinions, the more nuanced the main topic became because indeed, I hadn't realized earlier that there was a significant factor: we only have one GM, shared between his active life and the EN global, who moderates the FR global alone.

Regardless of our opinion regarding moderation, the vast majority of people who responded to the form as well as the numerous feedback I've heard about it, all pointed out this same issue.

Many times, when there was a beginning of dispute and due to the lack of personnel, it dragged on for far too long, until the moderator logged in to impose heavy sanctions which, even if they could be justified considering what was said, could have been avoided if warnings were given via PMs before it escalated. With more people in moderation, we would have more time to address the origins of the problem, more time to warn those involved before it escalates, and finally more of a sense of "justice" for those involved. This seems to me to be a more respectful approach towards the players, but also towards the moderator, who would share his heavy task with others, being less overworked.
Moreover, more people in moderation would especially allow for quicker and more effective action against potential trolls in the global chat, because even if the sanctions are considered severe by some, there are still many situations requiring increased moderation presence... A pace impossible to maintain for one person alone.

If adding more personnel would be a solution to all these problems, here are the criteria to become a CM:
https://pastelink.net/HowToBecomePokeMMOStaff

- Having at least 500 hours of gameplay.

- Being able to communicate in English.

- Having knowledge about the game.

- Be preferably an adult, with no in-game punishment history.

While the other three criteria seem to be fulfillable, we notice that many people, although motivated to join the staff - and thus address the aforementioned problems - find themselves stuck by the language criterion.
Even if it's understandable to have a minimum grasp of English, the level required to moderate a chat that isn't even in English, screens out many.
There are motivated individuals within the FR community alone willing to do this work voluntarily, and it's a shame they're stuck on a criterion that doesn't seem coherent considering what is expected of a CM (and I'm not the only one who thinks so, judging by the forms).
Understand that even if the criteria are the criteria, it will affect the entire community as well as the staff involved. Between a moderator unable to be present 24/7 and a considerable number of players feeling aggrieved by this situation, all of this presents flaws that, however, could be easily corrected.

So, Im asking the question to non-English speakers, to Spanish, German, Chinese, or Portuguese speakers: do you have the same issues, the same feelings within your community? Regarding your moderation? Your global chat? What about those who are already MOD+ currently, who must, in addition to moderating their own global, moderate the EN global?

I specify in anticipation that even if this could be a problem that other communities would not have, on our side in any case it has been going on for some time, and there is no doubt that both player and staff side, it would be nice to have a gesture for us 😉

Thank you for reading until the end, and feel free to share your thoughts on this.

PS : voici la version originale en français :

Spoiler

Bonsoir à tous,

Je vous écris ici après une longue réflexion concernant l'état des communautés non-anglophones, en utilisant comme base la modération de la communauté française. Par honnêteté, je vais aussi développer ce qui m'a amené à me poser la question, cependant ça peut être considéré comme subsidiaire. Si vous voulez vous concentrer sur la question de base, j'ai mis l'essentiel en gras.
Afin de me faire comprendre par tous ici, je vais devoir utiliser une traduction qui est susceptible de ne pas être correct à 100%, alors n'hésitez pas à vous référer au message original en français en cas de doute - que vous pourrez traduire de votre coté.

Ce message a pour but d'être le plus objectif possible, bien que motivé à la base et avant tout par mes propres opinions sur la question. J'essayerai de faire la séparation des deux à chaque fois, en espérant que celle-ci ne soit pas étouffée par la traduction.

Il y a quelques semaines, j'ai personnellement voulu demander à la communauté ce qu'il pensait de la modération française du global, que je jugeais souvent rude ; beaucoup se faisait mute sans sommations pour des blagues, tandis qu'à d'autres moments c'étaient des dramas qui s'étalait pendant plusieurs minutes sans aucune intervention de la modération.

C'était cela qui m'avait motivé à réaliser un forms à la base.
J'ai sous la main les statistiques du forms en lui-même, mais cela n'aurait pas grand intérêt à vous les partager en raison de sa faible participation par rapport au global FR entier - et ce, même en prenant les plus actifs (une trentaine d'entres eux y ont répondu, et même si c'est pas mal c'est encore trop peu représentatif).
En revanche, dans ce formulaire j'ai laissé des zones de texte afin que les gens puissent expliquer plus en profondeur leur avis sur le jeu.
Plus je recevais ces avis, plus le sujet de base devenait nuancé car en effet, je n'avais pas réalisé plus tôt qu'il y avait un facteur prépondérant : nous n'avons qu'un seul GM, partagé entre sa vie active et le global EN, qui modère à lui seul le Global FR.

Peu importe notre avis vis à vis de la modération, la grande majorité des personne qui ont répondu au formulaire ainsi que les nombreux échos que j'ai pu entendre autour de ce dernier, tous pointaient du doigt ce même soucis.

De nombreuses fois, lorsqu'il y avait un début de dispute et à cause du manque de personnel, cela traînait en longueur bien trop longtemps, jusqu'à ce que le modérateur se connecte pour infliger de grosses sanctions qui, même si pourraient être justifiés au regard de ce qui a été dit, aurait pu être évité si des avertissements en MPs étaient donnés avant que cela ne s'escalade.
Avec plus de personnes au sein de la modération, on aurait davantage de temps pour s'intéresser aux origines du problème, davantage de temps pour prévenir les concernés avant que ça ne s'envenime, et enfin davantage de sentiment de "justice" pour les concernés. Cela me paraît être une approche plus respectueuse envers les joueurs, mais aussi envers le modérateur, qui partagera sa lourde tâche avec d'autres, en étant moins surmené.
De plus, plus de monde dans la modération permettrait surtout d'agir plus vite et plus efficacement sur les potentiels trolls du global, car même si les sanctions sont jugés sévères par certains, il subsiste encore pas mal de situations nécessitant une présence accrue de la modération... Un rythme impossible à tenir pour 1 seule personne.

Si rajouter plus de personnels serait une solution à tous ces problèmes, voici les critères pour devenir CM :

- Avoir au moins 500h de jeu.
- Pouvoir communiquer en Anglais.
- Avoir des connaissances sur le jeu.
- Être de préférence un adulte, avec aucun passif de sanction.

Si les 3 autres critères semble pouvoir se combler, nous remarquons que beaucoup de personnes, pourtant motivés à rejoindre le staff - et donc palier aux problèmes cités plus haut - se retrouvent coincées par le critère de la langue.
Même s'il est facilement compréhensif de maîtriser un minimum l'anglais, le niveau demandé pour modérer un tchat qui lui, n'est même pas en anglais, sélectionne beaucoup.
Des personnes motivés rien qu'au sein de la communauté FR pour faire ce travail bénévolement, il y en a, et c'est dommage qu'ils se retrouvent bloqués sur un critère qui ne me paraît pas cohérent au regard de ce que l'on attend d'un CM (et je ne suis pas le seul à le penser, au vu du formulaire).
Comprenez que même si les critères sont les critères, ce sera la communauté toute entière ainsi que le staff concerné en pâtira. Entre un modérateur ne pouvant pas être présent 24h/24h et un nombre non-négligeable de joueurs se sentant lésés à cause de cette situation, tout ceci présente des défauts qui, pourtant, pourraient être facilement corrigés.

Je pose alors la question aux non-anglophones, aux espagnols, aux allemands, aux chinois ou encore aux portugais : avez-vous les mêmes soucis, les même ressentis au sein de votre communauté ? De votre modération ? Votre tchat global ?
Quid des personnes qui sont déjà MOD+ actuellement qui doivent, en plus de modérer leur global, modérer le global EN ?

Je précise en anticipant que même si cela pourrait être un problème que les autres communauté n'auraient pas, de notre coté en tout cas cela dure depuis un certain temps, et nulle doute que coté joueur comme coté staff, ce serait sympa d'avoir un geste pour nous 😉
Merci d'avoir lu jusqu'au bout, et n'hésitez pas à dire ce que vous en pensez.

Edited by Bomberfox
2 hours ago, Bomberfox said:

Good evening everyone,

I'm writing here after much reflection regarding the state of non-English-speaking communities, using the moderation of the French community as a basis. To be honest, I'll also elaborate on what led me to ponder this question, although it may be considered secondary. If you want to focus on the main question, I've highlighted the essential parts in bold.

To ensure everyone understands me here, I'll have to use a translation that may not be 100% accurate, so feel free to refer to the original message in French if in doubt - which you can translate on your own.

The purpose of this message is to be as objective as possible, although initially motivated primarily by my own opinions on the matter. I'll try to separate the two each time, hoping that this separation isn't drowned out by the translation.

A few weeks ago, I personally wanted to ask the community about their thoughts on the French moderation of the global chat, which I often found harsh; many were muted without warning for jokes, while at other times dramas unfolded for several minutes without any moderation intervention.

That's what motivated me to create a Google Forms in the first place.
I have the statistics of the form at hand, but it wouldn't be of much interest to share them with you due to its low participation compared to the entire French global - even considering the most active participants (about thirty of them responded, and while it's not bad, it's still too small a sample).
However, in this form, I left text areas for people to explain more in-depth their opinions on the game.
The more I received these opinions, the more nuanced the main topic became because indeed, I hadn't realized earlier that there was a significant factor: we only have one GM, shared between his active life and the EN global, who moderates the FR global alone.

Regardless of our opinion regarding moderation, the vast majority of people who responded to the form as well as the numerous feedback I've heard about it, all pointed out this same issue.

Many times, when there was a beginning of dispute and due to the lack of personnel, it dragged on for far too long, until the moderator logged in to impose heavy sanctions which, even if they could be justified considering what was said, could have been avoided if warnings were given via PMs before it escalated. With more people in moderation, we would have more time to address the origins of the problem, more time to warn those involved before it escalates, and finally more of a sense of "justice" for those involved. This seems to me to be a more respectful approach towards the players, but also towards the moderator, who would share his heavy task with others, being less overworked.
Moreover, more people in moderation would especially allow for quicker and more effective action against potential trolls in the global chat, because even if the sanctions are considered severe by some, there are still many situations requiring increased moderation presence... A pace impossible to maintain for one person alone.

If adding more personnel would be a solution to all these problems, here are the criteria to become a CM:

- Having at least 500 hours of gameplay.

- Being able to communicate in English.

- Having knowledge about the game.

- Be preferably an adult, with no in-game punishment history.

While the other three criteria seem to be fulfillable, we notice that many people, although motivated to join the staff - and thus address the aforementioned problems - find themselves stuck by the language criterion.
Even if it's understandable to have a minimum grasp of English, the level required to moderate a chat that isn't even in English, screens out many.
There are motivated individuals within the FR community alone willing to do this work voluntarily, and it's a shame they're stuck on a criterion that doesn't seem coherent considering what is expected of a CM (and I'm not the only one who thinks so, judging by the forms).
Understand that even if the criteria are the criteria, it will affect the entire community as well as the staff involved. Between a moderator unable to be present 24/7 and a considerable number of players feeling aggrieved by this situation, all of this presents flaws that, however, could be easily corrected.

So, Im asking the question to non-English speakers, to Spanish, German, Chinese, or Portuguese speakers: do you have the same issues, the same feelings within your community? Regarding your moderation? Your global chat? What about those who are already MOD+ currently, who must, in addition to moderating their own global, moderate the EN global?

I specify in anticipation that even if this could be a problem that other communities would not have, on our side in any case it has been going on for some time, and there is no doubt that both player and staff side, it would be nice to have a gesture for us 😉

Thank you for reading until the end, and feel free to share your thoughts on this.

PS : voici la version originale en français :

Reveal hidden contents

Bonsoir à tous,

Je vous écris ici après une longue réflexion concernant l'état des communautés non-anglophones, en utilisant comme base la modération de la communauté française. Par honnêteté, je vais aussi développer ce qui m'a amené à me poser la question, cependant ça peut être considéré comme subsidiaire. Si vous voulez vous concentrer sur la question de base, j'ai mis l'essentiel en gras.
Afin de me faire comprendre par tous ici, je vais devoir utiliser une traduction qui est susceptible de ne pas être correct à 100%, alors n'hésitez pas à vous référer au message original en français en cas de doute - que vous pourrez traduire de votre coté.

Ce message a pour but d'être le plus objectif possible, bien que motivé à la base et avant tout par mes propres opinions sur la question. J'essayerai de faire la séparation des deux à chaque fois, en espérant que celle-ci ne soit pas étouffée par la traduction.

Il y a quelques semaines, j'ai personnellement voulu demander à la communauté ce qu'il pensait de la modération française du global, que je jugeais souvent rude ; beaucoup se faisait mute sans sommations pour des blagues, tandis qu'à d'autres moments c'étaient des dramas qui s'étalait pendant plusieurs minutes sans aucune intervention de la modération.

C'était cela qui m'avait motivé à réaliser un forms à la base.
J'ai sous la main les statistiques du forms en lui-même, mais cela n'aurait pas grand intérêt à vous les partager en raison de sa faible participation par rapport au global FR entier - et ce, même en prenant les plus actifs (une trentaine d'entres eux y ont répondu, et même si c'est pas mal c'est encore trop peu représentatif).
En revanche, dans ce formulaire j'ai laissé des zones de texte afin que les gens puissent expliquer plus en profondeur leur avis sur le jeu.
Plus je recevais ces avis, plus le sujet de base devenait nuancé car en effet, je n'avais pas réalisé plus tôt qu'il y avait un facteur prépondérant : nous n'avons qu'un seul GM, partagé entre sa vie active et le global EN, qui modère à lui seul le Global FR.

Peu importe notre avis vis à vis de la modération, la grande majorité des personne qui ont répondu au formulaire ainsi que les nombreux échos que j'ai pu entendre autour de ce dernier, tous pointaient du doigt ce même soucis.

De nombreuses fois, lorsqu'il y avait un début de dispute et à cause du manque de personnel, cela traînait en longueur bien trop longtemps, jusqu'à ce que le modérateur se connecte pour infliger de grosses sanctions qui, même si pourraient être justifiés au regard de ce qui a été dit, aurait pu être évité si des avertissements en MPs étaient donnés avant que cela ne s'escalade.
Avec plus de personnes au sein de la modération, on aurait davantage de temps pour s'intéresser aux origines du problème, davantage de temps pour prévenir les concernés avant que ça ne s'envenime, et enfin davantage de sentiment de "justice" pour les concernés. Cela me paraît être une approche plus respectueuse envers les joueurs, mais aussi envers le modérateur, qui partagera sa lourde tâche avec d'autres, en étant moins surmené.
De plus, plus de monde dans la modération permettrait surtout d'agir plus vite et plus efficacement sur les potentiels trolls du global, car même si les sanctions sont jugés sévères par certains, il subsiste encore pas mal de situations nécessitant une présence accrue de la modération... Un rythme impossible à tenir pour 1 seule personne.

Si rajouter plus de personnels serait une solution à tous ces problèmes, voici les critères pour devenir CM :

- Avoir au moins 500h de jeu.
- Pouvoir communiquer en Anglais.
- Avoir des connaissances sur le jeu.
- Être de préférence un adulte, avec aucun passif de sanction.

Si les 3 autres critères semble pouvoir se combler, nous remarquons que beaucoup de personnes, pourtant motivés à rejoindre le staff - et donc palier aux problèmes cités plus haut - se retrouvent coincées par le critère de la langue.
Même s'il est facilement compréhensif de maîtriser un minimum l'anglais, le niveau demandé pour modérer un tchat qui lui, n'est même pas en anglais, sélectionne beaucoup.
Des personnes motivés rien qu'au sein de la communauté FR pour faire ce travail bénévolement, il y en a, et c'est dommage qu'ils se retrouvent bloqués sur un critère qui ne me paraît pas cohérent au regard de ce que l'on attend d'un CM (et je ne suis pas le seul à le penser, au vu du formulaire).
Comprenez que même si les critères sont les critères, ce sera la communauté toute entière ainsi que le staff concerné en pâtira. Entre un modérateur ne pouvant pas être présent 24h/24h et un nombre non-négligeable de joueurs se sentant lésés à cause de cette situation, tout ceci présente des défauts qui, pourtant, pourraient être facilement corrigés.

Je pose alors la question aux non-anglophones, aux espagnols, aux allemands, aux chinois ou encore aux portugais : avez-vous les mêmes soucis, les même ressentis au sein de votre communauté ? De votre modération ? Votre tchat global ?
Quid des personnes qui sont déjà MOD+ actuellement qui doivent, en plus de modérer leur global, modérer le global EN ?

Je précise en anticipant que même si cela pourrait être un problème que les autres communauté n'auraient pas, de notre coté en tout cas cela dure depuis un certain temps, et nulle doute que coté joueur comme coté staff, ce serait sympa d'avoir un geste pour nous 😉
Merci d'avoir lu jusqu'au bout, et n'hésitez pas à dire ce que vous en pensez.

Although i know we need more people on our language moderating, talking in Behalf of the Portuguese-speakers, English requirment is important for an CM. Let's say you need to mute "JoaozinhoGameplays" for bad behavior. An CM cannot mute so he has to pass the case for a Higher moderator and those high moderators are English-speakers. Unless we have a Real-time translation mod, like QSMP's one, both cannot communicate beetween themselves. And no, we cannot make a new player who register for CM already be some mod with power to Mute or Ban, he has to gain knowledge and experience first to be trusted enough to have that power. But yea, we need something. Like i commented in other thread, we from PT chat have only one moderator and he is from Portugal while 95% of the Chat are basically from Brazil. So after 20:00 UTC -3, there is 0 moderators able to communicate in portuguese avaliable to assist us. And no, i'm not including Teddi there because... SGM. Has high-level task and not always will be avaliable on the chat. So, for us, we have two options when someone breaks rules: Report him, which takes at least 2-3 days to answer, or pray we had someone able to communicate in English and warn some moderator on Global EN of what's happening on PT Global chat.

Edited by caioxlive13

What is already done on PokéMMO is the mute while waiting to check the history of the player in question to make a decision to ban him or not.

A mute is not binding, and can serve as a delay to prevent a player from polluting a chat, and while waiting for a MOD to come, whether it is for a language or not.
I don't see how it would be restrictive to give permission to mute but not to ban a CM in a subsidiary way, in my opinion it does not require great knowledge - if you see the person insulting in your language live In any case.

There are solutions, and motivated people too.

Hi, I will clarify some things and inform you and others about the process, etc.

20 hours ago, Bomberfox said:

Certain topics do not belong in our chat and will not be met with a warning. It's hard to judge what you mention since I don't know which things were muted when they were jokes, but in general, jokes or not - some words will not be left on chat. However, players can report their mutes to us using the support platform, where we (sgm+) will check them.

Many times, when there was a beginning of dispute and due to the lack of personnel, it dragged on for far too long, until the moderator logged in to impose heavy sanctions which, even if they could be justified considering what was said, could have been avoided if warnings were given via PMs before it escalated. With more people in moderation, we would have more time to address the origins of the problem, more time to warn those involved before it escalates, and finally more of a sense of "justice" for those involved

Even with more mods (for example, EN chat), we sometimes can miss some arguments or inappropriate chat/other rule-breaking due to different tasks. For that reason, it's aided by players who report other players on support.pokemmo.com—it doesn't stop the argument at the time, but it removes some players from future ones. 

The Community Manager role is a trainee role before becoming a Global Moderator. It's vastly different for each staff member since their additional tasks, like translations, support, etc., could make the CM phase longer. They are not given the right to mute for simple reasons— one is that transitioning from player to enforcing rules is not easy.

The aim is for all CMs to eventually become Global Mods.

The English requirement is present for organizational purposes. All our guidelines, discussions, and meetings are in English, requiring at least an understanding to avoid creating inner issues during our work. An example would be a CM misunderstanding policy or assignment, which could result in a player receiving unjust treatment or a wrong response to their issue/behavior. I am not a fan of recruiting staff members unable to properly communicate with HGM/SGMs at least.

We aim to have a few mods for each major language, but sometimes, life is life, and there will be moments without it. I'm more than happy to say that we have received applications that meet the criteria for French chat, so we might get more staff in the meantime.