[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

I tried to make Magikarp's face a little less... derp. The sprite on the right is unchanged, though (I forgot which was which, what was front and what was back. Brain leak.)

rn5PZ0e.png

EDIT: Changed the eyes a bit to reflect on the other sprite. Thoughts?

OjSY9HI.png

Edited by TheBurningBlue

@Blue

Ah you thickened her upper eyelashes. It looks slightly better, but now that I look at her long enough, I feel I've glitched her left/our right eye a bit when I shrunk her to fit in the frame. I know the backsprite's hair lines and shading are terrible, so maybe you can try to touch up on that too.

I can give you cookies. :3

Is it just me, or does Nidoking's right eye (our left) looks incredibly big in comparison to its other eye?
I know it's intentionally being drawn like that to reflect the perspective and angle it's being sprited like, but it looks kinda weird nontheless.
Probably not much that can be done about it since it's not really an ''issue'' to begin with, but I thought if I'm already writing here...

Darn, smiling Oddish strikes again. :/
Looks great, but the backsprite doesn't look like its smiling.
But to be honest, I prefer the facial expression of the backsprite like it is, it shows a melancholic expression in my opinion, which I'm really fond of. :)

Anyone got a design for Bellsprout family line?

From out of all the Bellsprout gijinka lines designs I saw on pixiv, deviantart and similar places. I found the ones made by jejejeca to be the most thought out by far. Both thematically and design wise.

Bellsprout

[spoiler]PqKSS1N.jpg[/spoiler]

Weepinbell

[spoiler]xVakjfY.jpg[/spoiler]

Victreebel

[spoiler]wuITi05.jpg[/spoiler]

These three Sōhei designs also fit rather well with the monks from the Sprout Tower. So that earned them some significant bonus points in my book as well.

It only looks darker on the preview, it's actually the same colors.  I blame tinypic.

Edit:

Maybe I'm just not looking at it right, but after staring at that Nidoking, I think his eye has a little bit too much black and not enough red.

Edit 2:

2603l01.png

Edited by Kickern

@Kickern

I feel the edits I did for the queen line could still be improved on. I know I am not the best spriter around. Do you spot anything you feel could be fixed? Also, your sprites ARE turning darker/duller for some reason.

2133fon.png

Is the front's eye highlight better or worse? I feel the earlier one made her look cross-eyed a bit.

@Moetal

Can't say for sure on the eye highlight.  Kindly requesting more opinions on the matter.  I think the other details look better, though.

You probably have a better eye for detail than I do, however...

I checked the RGB values of the colors of the sprites I posted against yours, they are identical.  It might be a matter of perception.  Like is the dress blue and black or white and gold?

Edit:

After taking a closer look at Nidorino, there are 2 shades of grey, 1 only the front uses and the other only the back uses.  The 2 shades could be combined to free up a color on the palette to work with.  Perhaps the legs could use more work with that in mind.

I noticed Nidorina is the only one in the Nido family that visibly has a tail.  Would she look better without it?

Edited by Kickern

@Kickern

Yeah it's the preview that's doing the weird thing.

308cp45.png

Top is when I save the full view, bottom is when I save the preview. Huge color changes on my screen. Strange that only your uploads does that. My uploads show up as same color in both preview and full view.

Nidorino's pant has same number palette as Nidoking (and they both have more than NidoranM), so I rather spend it elsewhere. We could probably use the palette on the shirt.

2hmh2cw.png

Removing tail on Nidorina.

m8oj86.png

@Moetal

Nidoqueen's back sprite's bangs look better, but the hair shading on top of her head looks weird on both sprites, imo.  There's a pixel of skin above her eyebrow on the front that looks outta place.  Also, there's a stray light blue pixel near the bottom left corner.

Hiyo everyone! My name's Alex and I was welcomed in to help. I've never worked with sprites before (Though I'm willing to learn sometime), so I'll be helping with concept art.

It looks like you guys are currently working on Bellsprout, so I was wondering if it'd be alright for me to work on concepts for the Abra line or Steelix? Aslo, I know we're working by numbers but is there a checklist I could see? Just to make note of who's on what so I don't work over someone.

@Kobayashiki

Welcome aboard. Taken from Magi, this is the current "short" list we need to tackle. I actually still want a better design for Bellsprout line, but you can draw whatever you want; people are a lot less creative when they are forced into a corner. 

[spoiler]

Rattata line

Pidgey line

Spearow

Ekans line

Pikachu line

Nidoran female line

NIdoran male line

Abra line

Drowzee line

Krabby line
Koffing line

Mr. Mime

Electabuzz

Pinsir

Gyarados

Ditto

Porygon/Porygon 2

Omanyte line

Kabuto line (In progress)

Diglett line

Mankey

Doduo line

Onix

Bellsprout line

Legendary bird trio + Mewtwo

Hitmonlee

Hitmonchan

Starmie

Bellossom

Sudowoodo

Pineco

Whismur line

Shellder line

Seaking

Sentret line

Wurmple line

Mawile

Makuhita line

Sharpedo

Donphan

Steelix[/spoiler]

Current Bellsprout sprites for your reference.

8yhngn.png

EDIT: I'm hitting my skill ceiling for this one. 

2v0e7gj.png

Edited by Moetal

Mhh! Thank you both for the replies, and for the list especially, that helps. Anyo, I'll take on the Drowzee family after Abra. I think I have some good ideas for them, as well as a way to tie the two lines together. And the bellsprouts look pretty cute too, though I like the earlier idea Kamigoroshi linked to. I-I'm also impressed by the nido's. *A* The lady looks so majestic, and the dude looks super cool.