[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

Attempting some science:

pmVtTtF.png

I liked the big spiky hair on Articuno, but the new face is nicer.  Also, if we use too much of the lighter shades of blue, she'll look shiny when she isn't.

QNR9Z9X.png
q5bmqgH.png
pJPe1m0.png

Used latest version of Jigglypuff's back sprite and made minor edits to Wigglytuff around her ears.

Edited by Kickern

Here's a laconic tutorial I wrote for CrookedWings about face shape, hope it is helpful.

Laconic Tutorial #1: The Moe Jawline

1. The most important part of moe faces is not the eyes but the jawline.

2. In moe style, the jawline always consists of four lines, although some may be hidden by hair.

3. Not four straight lines, but four subtlely rounded lines (and corners).

Spoiler

moeface.jpg

4. In making moe pixel faces, we must always strive to reach this ideal shape.

5. But this involves drawing (nearly) straight lines, and pixel lines only look good at certain angles.  In all other cases, there will be "jaggies".

6. Use anti-aliasing using your skin tones to smooth out jaggies.

7. There is such a thing as overdoing it, use it in small amounts. 

8. Darker colours in the antialiasing will make the face smaller/more concave, lighter colours will make the face bigger/more round.

9. Download my collection of moemon sprites if you haven't already, look in mmao folder and see how Aozane draws his jawlines to achieve the ideal shape (four rounded lines) using a small amount of antialiasing. 

Spoiler

moepixelface.jpg

10. Study as many as you can, your understanding of this topic will only improve.

Edited by McMagister
11 hours ago, BlooKirby said:

GW2x25O.png

There needs to be a distinction between where her right breast is/protrudes closer to viewer than the right arm. In the shadows where her right arm is it just looks like skin that blends together and it was making her look more flat in the front sprite than she really is.

8qrhvoP.png

Something like this.

@McMagister

Not that that current maid Gardevoir isn't great quality (albiet a bit unfitting imo), I really think this design has potential. Plus with the direction you're going with ralts and kirlia, I feel this version lines up a little better.

280%20Ralts%20Front%20v1a%20x2.png281%20Kirlia%20Front%20v2a%20x2.png282%20Gardevoir%20Front%20v1%20x2.png

Also, I've been thinking about taking my hand at spriting or at least sprite editing. What programs should I grab to get started? And I see you guys use the term "science" a lot. What's this mean, and how can I do it?

@laGashetaHardcore/BlooKirby

Looks pretty good. I can accept that, but honestly speaking I'm siding more towards maid Gardevoir since she has a more defined body. The first Gardevoir's dress is distorting the lower body a bit. I still prefer bend legs for final evolution.

Moemon - Maid Gardevoir by CMagister

@BlooKirby

The term "Science" comes from an attempt I made a while back on two Gyarados sprites, which like the phrase implies - do science between two sprites by mixing/combining. 

11c4hw9.pnge96ys6.png Traditional Gyarados and Loli Gyarados

Then finally, "What has science done", Sciencedos.

2zg9gl4.png

@McMagister

For Kiriia, can we shorten the two twintails a bit, so she looks like she has about the same amount of hair length throughout the evolutions? See below.

Spoiler

mato-kuroi.jpg

@McMagister

Both as in both the maid and this one? 

does this mean you're doing a completely separate redesign? b-because that would be great :')

@Moetal

Thanks for explaining science to me, seems very useful.

Regarding the gardevoir: Point taken, and you've got good ones. In any case, that maidu gardy will be manually replaced away in my patch. Dunno what it is about this one, but gardevoir just cannot rock that outfit in my eyes.  

Edited by BlooKirby