[PTS] Ranked Mode Rework

So, I gathered 10+ players to play ranked with me and it was fun. But it didn't last long.

I concluded that there are reasons for this, and how to fix ranked for it to be relevant again.

Anyways.

You know how battle tower is coming up as a new PVP method? When that happens, isn't ranked matchmaking completely irrelevant? Aren't they the same thing?

Well, let's make them different and both as interesting the one as the other.

In the battle tower, both PVP and PVE version alike, all you need to do is defeat 8 players or NPCs in a row, and you get some PVP-currency and a spot on the leaderboard for a week.

The reasons why the Battle Tower will work is because there are:

1 - Prizes. PVP currency for exclusive PVP items are awesome.

2 - A set timeframe. If this is open only on saturdays during specific time periods, people won't wander around aimlessly hoping to find a match at random times and complaining that it isn't being used. It's limited time, so use it when you can.

3 - If you come over 3 months after implementation, you're not 80 wins behind to catch up with the others. It only takes 8 wins and stats are reset weekly.

So, the point is to copy/paste these three criteria onto the current ranked system, while still preserving its uniqueness:

3 - Implement a weekly leaderboard. My personal stats are recorded both weekly and monthly. If the rankings are reset every week, you won't feel discouraged to catch up to those that are 80 wins above you and that you'll never catch up to them to get the prizes. Every week, hand out prize to top 1 or top 3 of that week's leaderboard. It'll make people want to play it.

2 - Timeframes should be limited, but not at the same time as the battle tower. It should be a week's effort, so there should be at least one schedule per day. I'm thinking perhaps 4 windows of 1 hour per day, every 6 hours. This way, you'll have a global movement of "hey it's ranked time", much like when swarms were popular.

1 - Change the prizes. You want people to compete against each other to get to the top, right? But, why use ranked to try to stay at the top if it's easier to get 8 consecutive wins in the battle tower?

The solution is to make it a jackpot-type prize and that is different from the battle tower prize. I'm thinking quite simply, a load of cash. 500k or a million, maybe.

Because of this, there will always be people using it.

Because, consider that nobody is using the ranked mode. You'll check out the leaderboard and see that #1 has 2 wins and 0 losses. Wouldn't you participate? All you'd need to do is win twice to win a million. Thing is, everyone is going to think like this. And so, there will always be activity. Especially, if the timeframe is limited to a few times per day.

Normally, with this, you have two/three interesting game modes that don't overshadow each other and that will be used regularly.

Discuss!

..what?

You see, in battle tower, we want to implement prizes that are of high enough value that we want people to fight over them. If they were available with normal currency, it wouldn't be the same.

However, you could try to climb the harsh weekly leaderboard of ranked for actual cash, and spend it on pokeballs if that is your desire. But there's no need to mix up the two currencies.

Unless you want to implement pokeballs in the battle tower shop to be purchased with PVP points. That's just... No thanks. You're better off paydaying for a few minutes.

• 1 year later...

We have new ranked mode system, added on the PTS r6642.

Ranked

• Ranked matchmaking now occurs twice per day, at 5PM UTC and 10PM UTC.
  • Ranked matchmaking queues last for 1 hour.
  • On winning, Ranked matchmaking now gives a Battle Point reward. (7500+(50 per 100MMR>500)
  • Ranked matchmaking has a fee of 5000BP to enter.