Double Protect succestion rate

ThinkNice

Question

We should have the sixth gen mechanics for this which is that the succession rate for the second protect in a row is -66% (so 1/3 then 1/9 etc, you can find the formula on the nugget bridge thread), which is just more competitive because if you are forced to double protect it mostly means you didn't play optimally. A 50/50 coinflip between a win and a loss should not be the case at that point as the player that played better should have better chances of winning.

Source:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/page-48#post-5070764

http://nuggetbridge.com/forums/topic/15432-double-protect-odds/

Tested multiple times in that thread, go look further if you want.

Edited by ThinkNice

12 answers to this question

Man, you're really taking this protect thing seriously. Also, shouldn't this also apply to Endure? (2lazy to look it up right now)

[spoiler]suggestions works tho, reasoning is sound, no reason not to do it, should be ez to implement, devs don't forget to change detect too, go fuck yourself, etc. etc.[/spoiler]

Man, you're really taking this protect thing seriously. Also, shouldn't this also apply to Endure? (2lazy to look it up right now)

[spoiler]suggestions works tho, reasoning is sound, no reason not to do it, should be ez to implement, devs don't forget to change detect too, go fuck yourself, etc. etc.[/spoiler]

Well seeing as they use the same counter, it should.

From what I can see, this has not been officially confirmed. Plus, I do not like it being over 50%.

Endursal would become arguably easier to achieve. If you endure in the wrong turn, you are 66% likely to do it the second time around, leaving the attacking player in a pickle after he predicted you once. With the absence of good priority moves other than quick attack and mach punch, I don't really want to see endure-reversal strategies being encouraged. Not to mention perish song will become much easier to pull off too, as you are more likely to be able to protect the second time around than to fail.

In doubles, it will encourage the players to be more relaxed about protecting twice. Which is not good. If you protected the wrong turn and you are vulnerable now, you should take the punishment for it. Having chances to pull off 2 protects just makes things more irritating for the attacking player, again.

In retrospect, I have no idea why double protect has a chance to even happen in the first place (then again, freezes exist too). Making it more likely to happen than not to would be a step back for competitive play imo.

From what I can see, this has not been officially confirmed. Plus, I do not like it being over 50%.

Endursal would become arguably easier to achieve. If you endure in the wrong turn, you are 66% likely to do it the second time around, leaving the attacking player in a pickle after he predicted you once. With the absence of good priority moves other than quick attack and mach punch, I don't really want to see endure-reversal strategies being encouraged. Not to mention perish song will become much easier to pull off too, as you are more likely to be able to protect the second time around than to fail.

In doubles, it will encourage the players to be more relaxed about protecting twice. Which is not good. If you protected the wrong turn and you are vulnerable now, you should take the punishment for it. Having chances to pull off 2 protects just makes things more irritating for the attacking player, again.

In retrospect, I have no idea why double protect has a chance to even happen in the first place (then again, freezes exist too). Making it more likely to happen than not to would be a step back for competitive play imo.

Lel I'm almost 100% sure he's advocating for a lower chance of double protect working, not a higher chance

We should have the sixth gen mechanics for this which is that the succession rate for the second protect in a row is -66%, which is just more competitive because if you are forced to double protect it mostly means you didn't play optimally. A 50/50 coinflip between a win and a loss should not be the case at that point as the player that played better should have better chances of winning.

Took me 5 times to see that - and understand...

Haha that minus sign needs to be bolded :P

But yeah I agree with the suggestion and I think when we implement 6th gen mechanics, this should implemented along with it.

I just wonder if the impending heat death of the sun will dampen the 6th gen mechanics announcement

I just wonder if the impending heat death of the sun will dampen the 6th gen mechanics announcement

You mean the depletion of hydrogen fuel (and helium) that eventually leads to the termination of all nuclear fusion reactions? Nah, we need to think long-term here.

[spoiler]Heat death of the universe[/spoiler]

:> Edited by Kiliminati