[Denied]Automatically Switch chat you are looking at

Its annoying when you are trying to send a message to someone or have a convo with someone and then you post your message in the wrong chat giving you a cool down.

People might say its simple to change the chat on your own but really, I actually seen people made this same mistake multiple times and say "wc" 

This is just a simple suggestion and will help stop "Chat fails".

How would this work though?

What if you have multiple chats in 1 tab? Will it message all chats? Do I now have to separate my team chat and wispers?

The way it would work is that when you click the channel chat tab or what ever your chat is called, it changes your chat to channel chat

suggestion.png

Now if you have multiple chats in one tab, it would give you an option like "What chat would you like to change to?" then it would give you an option to pick from the all the chats you have in the tab like Team Chat, Channel Chat, Whispers, and etc

From you explanation it sounds like little to no change from what it is. I personally like being on team chat spamming trade chat so how it is seems fine to me but for everybody else this change won't change much

"I personally like being on team chat spamming trade chat so how it is seems fine to me" -SamuraiHunter 2015

And it will change much because a lot of people always chat fail. Since you like spamming trades on team chat, you just told me that you chat fail every time you go in the trade/team chat or what ever

"I personally like being on team chat spamming trade chat so how it is seems fine to me" -SamuraiHunter 2015

And it will change much because a lot of people always chat fail. Since you like spamming trades on team chat, you just told me that you chat fail every time you go in the trade/team chat or what ever

So if I understand what you're suggesting correctly, you want the chat box to select the chat channel you have each tab set to automatically and ask you which channel you want if you have multiple channels in one tab. However, you want there to be an option to disable the popup prompt if you have multiple chats in one tab. How exactly will this stop chat fail exactly? I can see it working if it picked up the chat channel you had in a tab if there was only one, but if they have multiple channels in a tab and disable the popup then this really doesn't fix anything.

So if I understand what you're suggesting correctly, you want the chat box to select the chat channel you have each tab set to automatically and ask you which channel you want if you have multiple channels in one tab. However, you want there to be an option to disable the popup prompt if you have multiple chats in one tab. How exactly will this stop chat fail exactly? I can see it working if it picked up the chat channel you had in a tab if there was only one, but if they have multiple channels in a tab and disable the popup then this really doesn't fix anything.

"However, you want there to be an option to disable the popup prompt if you have multiple chats in one tab"

Well I meant to say it like this, there would be an option to disable automatically changing the chat when you look it at completely 

Edited by TitanPawnz

"However, you want there to be an option to disable the popup prompt if you have multiple chats in one tab"

Well I meant to say it like this, there would be an option to disable automatically changing the chat when you look it at 

So how does this fix anything if they have two different chats in the same tab then?

So how does this fix anything if they have two different chats in the same tab then?

As I said above

"Now if you have multiple chats in one tab, it would give you an option like "What chat would you like to change to?" then it would give you an option to pick from the all the chats you have in the tab like Team Chat, Channel Chat, Whispers, and etc"

If the person would not want to see this every time they click a tab with multiple chats in it, there can be an option to disable "Automatically switch chat you are looking at" which would disable the ability to click on a tab and making it change into the chat you are looking at.

Seems like a lot of work for something you can easily do yourself.

"People might say its simple to change the chat on your own but really, I actually seen people made this same mistake multiple times and say "wc" ".

Its not a lot of work if a lot of people make this mistake.

Then there should be an option to disable it if you don't want to see the box

Oldschool Runescape is a prime example of what happens when you add too many toggles to things.  There's meaningless toggles for meaningless things, and ultimately you just end up overcomplicating the Settings menu when you add too many toggles, so the argument "There's no reason this shouldn't be added, just add a toggle to turn it off" is kind of invalid here. 
Imo posting things in the wrong chat is annoying.  Having nearly posted a link to a picture of an anime girl in a bathing suit in global chat(While I was a CM) rather than team chat, I know that sometimes it can be really awkward too.  That being said, it's up to the user to make sure they're in the right chat when they send a message.  A mechanic should not be implemented to make up for the negligence in paying attention that a few users suffer a short chat cooldown because of. 
On top of that, from what I've read and understood(And correct me if I understood in incorrectly) this actually makes chat more tedious. 
There's a reason the [Channel] image is shown right next to where you type.  It's so you can easily see which chat you're sending a message to, and with commands like /gl it's very easy to change channels.
Also, I think the main reason people post messages in the wrong chat is because they forget to change their chat back to the chat they want to be in, from the one they were in.  The proposed solution doesn't solve this.

Oldschool Runescape is a prime example of what happens when you add too many toggles to things.  There's meaningless toggles for meaningless things, and ultimately you just end up overcomplicating the Settings menu when you add too many toggles, so the argument "There's no reason this shouldn't be added, just add a toggle to turn it off" is kind of invalid here. 
Imo posting things in the wrong chat is annoying.  Having nearly posted a link to a picture of an anime girl in a bathing suit in global chat(While I was a CM) rather than team chat, I know that sometimes it can be really awkward too.  That being said, it's up to the user to make sure they're in the right chat when they send a message.  A mechanic should not be implemented to make up for the negligence in paying attention that a few users suffer a short chat cooldown because of. 
On top of that, from what I've read and understood(And correct me if I understood in incorrectly) this actually makes chat more tedious. 
There's a reason the [Channel] image is shown right next to where you type.  It's so you can easily see which chat you're sending a message to, and with commands like /gl it's very easy to change channels.
Also, I think the main reason people post messages in the wrong chat is because they forget to change their chat back to the chat they want to be in, from the one they were in.  The proposed solution doesn't solve this.

It does solve "because they forget to change their chat back to the chat they want to be in". 

Reason: If there was an option to automatically change your chat to the tab you want it to be in every time you click on the tab, I would surely take advantage of that option. Most of the time, people don't look at the chat channels you can change and go on straight to typing.  I'm pretty sure some people viewing this would too. I am not saying we should change the whole chat with this suggestion. I am saying there should be an option.

If this was implemented, if you think the setting is ridiculous and worthless, then don't use it.

It does solve "because they forget to change their chat back to the chat they want to be in". 

Reason: If there was an option to automatically change your chat to the tab you want it to be in every time you click on the tab, I would surely take advantage of that option. Most of the time, people don't look at the chat channels you can change and go on straight to typing.  I'm pretty sure some people viewing this would too. I am not saying we should change the whole chat with this suggestion. I am saying there should be an option.

If this was implemented, if you think the setting is ridiculous and worthless, then don't use it.

It doesn't fix anything if the chat they were just posting in is also in the same tab as the one they want to post in.

You completely disregarded all points I made except for that one.  Listen man, I'm not here to start arguments, just to post my opinions on a suggestion.  I like discussion, but I know full well that picking apart someone's post like that and only focusing on a single part never leads to meaningful discussion.
The cons of this are very clear though.  It adds overcomplication, in the sense that it's a mechanic that doesn't need to exist.  Again, I feel the need to point out the "Too many toggles" argument, and adding on top of that the "Slippery slopes" argument because the "just one more toggle" way of thinking is flawed. 

Also people will generally take the easiest option, so who is this function targeted at?  All the old users who are used to the old system will continue using that system.  New lazy users won't like the extra menu box when they're changing chats, so they'll use the original one.  There's no point adding extra options and menu boxes in the hope of saving someone from having to say 'wc'.  As a random estimate, I'd say I wrong chat once every two weeks.  That's 30 seconds max of waiting.  Why would I chose to use this option, just on the small likelyhood it might save me 30 seconds?

I'm sure there's plenty more arguments that I could make to further my point, but in the end these are just opinions and should not be treated as an argument.  Since I've put my opinion out there and haven't got much more to say, I'll just lurk the thread.  Suggest on bro

To add for everything what been just said, often time I sell some stuff in trade chat without wanting to actually look at it. I'm just talking in team while every 40 secs I post whatever I'm selling. This would mean that if I wanted to sell anything in the game I would have to be staring at the Trade Chat which is a cancer while I have other things I would want to concentrate.

Like Daft said, the "There is no reason to implement this" isn't really a good argument to begin with even if there was a million toggles.

To add for everything what been just said, often time I sell some stuff in trade chat without wanting to actually look at it. I'm just talking in team while every 40 secs I post whatever I'm selling. This would mean that if I wanted to sell anything in the game I would have to be staring at the Trade Chat which is a cancer while I have other things I would want to concentrate.

Like Daft said, the "There is no reason to implement this" isn't really a good argument to begin with even if there was a million toggles.

Never said you would have to stare at the trade chat just to sell items. It just auto changes your chat to the tab you are looking at. So if you go from trade to team it changes your chat to team. Still trying to figure out about the multiple chat problem. When and If I find a good reason how to fix the multiple chat problem, all your arguments (beliefs) don't really make any sense.

all your arguments (beliefs) don't really make any sense.

What a statement to make. Maybe you should actually try to read them.

I think you misinterpreted me so I'll rephrase: Sometimes I want to have just Whisper and Team open but post in the Trade chat the Pokemon I wanna sell which is the reason I don't support this. What comes to "turning this off", too much toggles without a good reason isn't really good.