Anyone up for some Little Cup?

I was checking around in the Competition alley section of the forums and I didn’t see any discussion about little cup.  It would be a brand new format because of Pokemmo’s amazing combination of generation 3 stats and some gen 6 mechanics thrown in.  It would also be an interesting tier and if we abided to the level 5 rule, we would only be able to use vitamins to train our mons as well.  

There is quite a bit of info on tiering in this thread on smogon.  It looks like people have forgotten about this format for a about a year now though.  —> http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-little-cup.3516575/

We can use the tiers on smogon and bans at first but we could run some of our own tests as well if we find anything to be outrageously overpowered in the tier.   Although i personally don’t think we should undo any of their bans and the work these people have done already.  

We can test our teams on pokemonshowdown because they support generation 3 but it doesn’t have the special split from emerald.

So yeah I made this thread to basically just gauge what your guys’s responses to this is.  I personally love LC and how crazy it can be and maybe even doubles lc? haha.  If you guys really are interested in this I’ll start writing up a full thread and try paraphrasing some of the info from the thread on smogon.

I'm super into it.

Imo it shouldn't be lvl 5 tho. Despite the fact that this kinda "ruins" parts of LC, it's unreasonable to ask everyone who wants to participate to either vitamin their pokes (expensive) or amnesia brace them (impossibly arduous).

If this were a lvl 50 tier tho I'm sure it'd be a great time.

We can test our teams on pokemonshowdown because they support generation 3 but it doesn’t have the special split from emerald.

I use PokemonShowdown for test but i some move are banned in that, and in pokemmo no, for that reason i dont use a lot because that can make you take a bad idea about the moveset can add your pokemon in this game

Level 50 NFE Gimmicky =/= LC

What LC needs are more frequent tournaments, 1 at year is way to low, it takes a lot of time/resources to make LC pokes and the risk of beeing able to use the only once in your life is high. 1 every month would be the best, but impossible, but one every 3 months looks a good start.
Solid prizes. Making LC comps cost a lot, actually more than a standard comp, so the prize should be adjusted to that

This could as well not be enough....but it's a start

If you change the Level to 10-30-50 or whatever tho, don't call the format Little Cup

That feel when I don't have that forum name.

I suggested this while back: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/58531-little-cup-and-tournament-mode-which-scales-them-to-lv-5/

However, we definitely could start Little Cup in PokeMMO considering vitamins are reachable now. I think we should play it as lv 5, otherwise it honestly isn't Little Cup. However, I don't think Smogon should be looked at when made any tiering considering MMO's moves/Pokemon etc. are completely different from any other game so the tiering would have to be done by the community. Obviously allow everything unless something seems to be super broken and start banning. I hope some tournaments would come.

I'd love some more Little Cup Tourneys! I had a team event hosted in this format few months ago and I was really excited about researching and preparing pokemon for this.

There has been so few officials in this format so far and game doesn't officially support it in tournament mode. The official support would be needed at least in form of  banned items and moves that deal exact HP damage it's difficult to moderate this without official support.

I believe the pokemon used should be left lvl 5. They should not have access to the level up moves above level 5 unless bred specifically for it. It maybe makes breeding these even more expensive and time consuming but it could add more value to these 'Little Cup comps' plus some ditto bred pokes may end up with completely different movesets (cant get level up moves at all) if we keep it lvl 5.

I'm super into it.

Imo it shouldn't be lvl 5 tho. Despite the fact that this kinda "ruins" parts of LC, it's unreasonable to ask everyone who wants to participate to either vitamin their pokes (expensive) or amnesia brace them (impossibly arduous).

I think the expensive part of this potential format could actually benefit it.  It would make [LC] something for late game players only who want to try something new and interesting while feeling accomplished for all the extra work and the crazy EV spreads.

I use PokemonShowdown for test but i some move are banned in that, and in pokemmo no, for that reason i dont use a lot because that can make you take a bad idea about the moveset can add your pokemon in this game

Yeah Showdown has its downsides forsure.  I thin it can be an amazing tool for messing around with EV spreads and stuff though since EV's in LC are so weird.

Level 50 NFE Gimmicky =/= LC

What LC needs are more frequent tournaments, 1 at year is way to low, it takes a lot of time/resources to make LC pokes and the risk of beeing able to use the only once in your life is high. 1 every month would be the best, but impossible, but one every 3 months looks a good start.
Solid prizes. Making LC comps cost a lot, actually more than a standard comp, so the prize should be adjusted to that

This could as well not be enough....but it's a start

If you change the Level to 10-30-50 or whatever tho, don't call the format Little Cup

Yeah I agree we should stick to the level 5 cap just to stay true to what LC really is.  I wasn't aware that anyone has thrown LC tourneys in Pokemmo before.  I tried the forum search function but I guess I didn't do it correctly.  I think its really important that we have set, recurring, frequent events so people feel inclined to actually committing to making a whole team.  Back to my other point too - the prizes and entry will definitely be significantly higher than regular tourneys.  The reason being because the only people who could afford to make a LC team to begin with are going to be very well off players. 

That feel when I don't have that forum name.

I suggested this while back: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/58531-little-cup-and-tournament-mode-which-scales-them-to-lv-5/

However, we definitely could start Little Cup in PokeMMO considering vitamins are reachable now. I think we should play it as lv 5, otherwise it honestly isn't Little Cup. However, I don't think Smogon should be looked at when made any tiering considering MMO's moves/Pokemon etc. are completely different from any other game so the tiering would have to be done by the community. Obviously allow everything unless something seems to be super broken and start banning. I hope some tournaments would come.

My IGN is also "Xatu" if anyone wants to say whats up to me ingame!  I think the scaling to level 5 would be amazing and it would make creating a comp worthy team so much easier.  I looked through the updates and i found it kind of difficult to figure out what exactly everything they changed is.  I know that some of the Gen 6 immunities are implemented as well as some moves like beat up using the gen 5 rules of the move.  I'm assuming there are a few post-gen3 moves as well but im not aware of which ones.  All in all though I think these subtle differences can be overlooked since most of the BST of pokemon in this game have remained the same from gen 3.  Smogon gives us years of people experimenting in this exact format minus the differences so we should definitely start where they left off.

I'd love some more Little Cup Tourneys! I had a team event hosted in this format few months ago and I was really excited about researching and preparing pokemon for this.

There has been so few officials in this format so far and game doesn't officially support it in tournament mode. The official support would be needed at least in form of  banned items and moves that deal exact HP damage it's difficult to moderate this without official support.

I believe the pokemon used should be left lvl 5. They should not have access to the level up moves above level 5 unless bred specifically for it. It maybe makes breeding these even more expensive and time consuming but it could add more value to these 'Little Cup comps' plus some ditto bred pokes may end up with completely different movesets (cant get level up moves at all) if we keep it lvl 5.

Once again forum search has served me wrong haha.  I'm glad to know that people already have teams prepared for LC.  There will be banned moves.  And there will be banned mons too.  The only real way for us to moderate is to only have 1-3~ games running at the same time with a referee watching each game (or one of the players recording the match with screen capture) to make sure no clause is broken or banned item/strat is being used.  I'm expecting probably a 16 player tourney for the first few and thats only 4 rounds. 

In general I think my idea to gauge everyones opinions turned out really well.  I'm already in the process of writing up a thread with info/guides etc. I want it to be easy for players to grasp what LC is all about and have an active thread where they can share teams in progress and ideas.  If anyone wants to help with reffing in the future then send me a pm with your timezone and your availability.  It's probably gonna be a little bit until we get this up and running but lets definitely get this format underway!

• 3 months later...