15 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I did!

I assume you're mostly referring to 'Google Daydream', Google attempt at mobile VR.

For those who haven't seen it yet:

I own a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, so I think I'll be able to run it.

I'll likely give it a go at some stage.

I imagine that the remote that is demo'd in this video is going to be a requirement for use though, which means purchasing additional peripherals.

Yeah, I was referring to 'Google Daydream'. That was a bit unexpected, but this is big. So some flagship Androids will come with VR mode now? Maybe there will be a bundle(phone + VR headset + controller) for them, like Samsung and Lenovo tried to did with some phones, but maybe in couple of months we will see most Android phones with already inbuilt VR features. The concept is similar to old Google Cardboard, earlier there were some specific apps but now they made a whole new separate platform for VR which will be in new Android versions. This is a clever approach and in just a couple of months we will see almost every other mobile having VR capabilities, this also means in very short time there will be games and apps for VR on Play store, just like that YT app which was showcased earlier. I think it is clever because Android community is huge, devs would be able to develop VR apps just using Android only, so this gives Google a head start in VR already.

If you want to try that on your phone you will need that headset and controller yes. Google has already shortlisted some companies which will manufacture the hardware so you will have to watch out for them. 

Some links

On 5/20/2016 at 1:00 PM, LiquidFrost said:

Yeah, I was referring to 'Google Daydream'. That was a bit unexpected, but this is big. So some flagship Androids will come with VR mode now?

So they say, which is a pretty good way of bringing it to the mainstream.

Maybe there will be a bundle(phone + VR headset + controller) for them, like Samsung and Lenovo tried to did with some phones, but maybe in couple of months we will see most Android phones with already inbuilt VR features. The concept is similar to old Google Cardboard, earlier there were some specific apps but now they made a whole new separate platform for VR which will be in new Android versions. This is a clever approach and in just a couple of months we will see almost every other mobile having VR capabilities, this also means in very short time there will be games and apps for VR on Play store, just like that YT app which was showcased earlier. I think it is clever because Android community is huge, devs would be able to develop VR apps just using Android only, so this gives Google a head start in VR already.

I think it's likely that the new flagships will come bundled with a headset and remote, otherwise it's unlikely that it will get the attention they want it to.

Mobile VR has the benefit of being wireless, but the downside of not being anywhere near as powerful.

Still cool nevertheless.

If you want to try that on your phone you will need that headset and controller yes. Google has already shortlisted some companies which will manufacture the hardware so you will have to watch out for them. 

I shall do, hopefully they're not too expensive, otherwise I'm not sure I can justify purchase over some peripherals for my Rift.

I'm really interested in RotoVR:

http://www.rotovr.com/

I'm in dire need of a new chair, and I was looking around for one with a Rumble pak for extra immersions - a few days later and I discover this, a motorized chair which moves with the headset.

This is an issue I find with games like Farlands, constantly having to actively move the chair with my feet.

The immersion there would be incredible (For seated experiences).

23 hours ago, londark said:

We SAO Soon(TM)

It's shame this will never be anything more than a tech demo.

One day perhaps.

@Darkshade, so this just popped up on HN. Like always the HN discussion is very detailed and good, linked OP is also nice. I certainly didn't knew that this is a thing, also I haven't got the chance to try much of VR on one of those better devices so can't say much on that. Anyhow, you can give it a read if you want to.

Edited by LiquidFrost
Excuse my poor English.