Adding Trainer Stats

KAYTACHI

Question

I love PokeMMO but I really wish it had more MMO features and more reasons to interact with other players.

I think it would be cool if each player had some stats that they could level up in order to do things that some players might not be able to do with their stats. For example, what if there was a crafting stat that allowed you to make pokeballs with higher catch rates. Of course, the higher a player's crafting stat, the better pokeballs they could make. This would encourage player interaction because if you decided not to spec into this crafting stat and decided to focus on another stat, you would need to seek out a player with a high crafting stat to make you some of those high catch rate pokeballs.

I have a bunch of ideas for stats, such as a fishing stat that, when leveled up, allows you to find rare water pokemon with hidden abilities or special items. A battle stat that increases the critical hit chance in PvE battles, making this stat ideal for the battle frontier. A breeding stat that would drastically reduce the difficulty of breeding once maxed out. Or even a luck stat that increases the amount of an item you can steal from a wild pokemon.

This feature would make everyone's experience unique and would enhance the multiplayer experience. Players with high battle stats would make for desirable battle frontier partners. Players with high breeding stats might get paid for their services. This feature would be really good for player interaction because as it is now, you can play the game without ever having a reason to talk to another player.

3 answers to this question

Its brilliant.

Idk if new players will like it though. I can only imagine them complaining about the OPness of players with +5yrs worth of boosts.

The staff could counter people becoming too op by putting a cap on the boosts but the challenge comes in the fact that would getting any of these boosts be worth it if they are maxed out easily (i.e with less than a month/ yr of grinding ).

Having boosts/stat gains become easy to get makes the boosts not special anymore i.e not becoming a talking point for people. They would certainly go in the same as completing pokedex or getting a lv 100 being a talking point. Almost everyone who has played this game long enough has gotten to the point of being bored enough to complete the OT dex and getting lv 100 mons has long since stopped being a major talking point. So it would be a challenge to implement boosts in anyway that makes them a talking point for long term pokemmo players. 

The other issue may be in the form of potential brokenness of getting stat boosts to steal more amulet coins for example or the potential brokenness that comes with being able to crit the crap outta pokes to victory in places this normally wouldnt work i.e the e4/bf.

They could could just avoid making everyone op by just nerfing everyone to make it that whatever default stats people have now will become the new OP stats that everyone is working towards but i can imagine people raging cause of that. 

It would to be interesting to see how they would do this without causing any of the issues i mentioned.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:35 AM, BrokenJoker said:

Its brilliant.

Idk if new players will like it though. I can only imagine them complaining about the OPness of players with +5yrs worth of boosts.

The staff could counter people becoming too op by putting a cap on the boosts but the challenge comes in the fact that would getting any of these boosts be worth it if they are maxed out easily (i.e with less than a month/ yr of grinding ).

Having boosts/stat gains become easy to get makes the boosts not special anymore i.e not becoming a talking point for people. They would certainly go in the same as completing pokedex or getting a lv 100 being a talking point. Almost everyone who has played this game long enough has gotten to the point of being bored enough to complete the OT dex and getting lv 100 mons has long since stopped being a major talking point. So it would be a challenge to implement boosts in anyway that makes them a talking point for long term pokemmo players. 

The other issue may be in the form of potential brokenness of getting stat boosts to steal more amulet coins for example or the potential brokenness that comes with being able to crit the crap outta pokes to victory in places this normally wouldnt work i.e the e4/bf.

They could could just avoid making everyone op by just nerfing everyone to make it that whatever default stats people have now will become the new OP stats that everyone is working towards but i can imagine people raging cause of that. 

It would to be interesting to see how they would do this without causing any of the issues i mentioned.

After a bit of thinking, I think a good way to solve the issues you mentioned would be by only allowing a certain amount of points to allocate in each stat (like EV training). Trainers would have to choose between maxing out 1-2 stats or choosing to distribute the points evenly. And I guess there would be a way to reset your stats just incase you want change your spread. This would make it so that even if you are a 5yr veteran, you still won't be able to be maxed out in every stat. It would also add gameplay diversity because each player will spend their points differently. (As long as there isn't one universal stat spread that makes you an OP jack of all trades).