Losing my mind on hard mode T^T

I've spectated several people who defeated pumpking on hard mode relatively easy and some don't even lose the krookodile, Aerodactyl or hydreigon that they lead the battle with! I've tried over and over to emulate the strat so that I can recoup the 1M+ I've spent on items but I keep running into a problem.

When I spectate the matches no matter whom I'm watching the 3rd stage pumpking always leads his opening attack with 2 turn move ghastly vision which allows the trainer to get some momentum by setting up tailwind, x attack etc etc. 

However, in my countless attempts he always leads with the OHKO move phantom strike and kills a Pokemon and effectively destroys the attempt because I can't follow the strats I observed. I've tried to work around it and even develop a plan to try and circumvent the knock out but no matter what I do he consistently spams phantom strike!!!

What the hell am I doing to trigger this? It has to be something I'm doing to make him lock on phantom strike... In the rare case he uses another move I'm still screwed because he either greedy gulps his buddies and heals up so I can't attack or set up because I'm too busy trying to reset the field from the stat drops.

PLEASE TELL ME WTF I'M DOING WRONG 

This God forsaken battle is driving me nuts!!!! 😵💫

Edited by Ryukaai
Misspelled
2 minutes ago, Rache said:

If it sees that it can KO something, it's usually going to try to. You can avoid this by investing more EVs into bulk and making sure your HP is high by the end of phase 2.

Jesus y'all really raised the difficulty this year... I didn't have to modify bulk on any Pokemon last year and was able to wing it most runs to defeat him but THANK YOU SO MUCH... Now hopefully I can finally get some steam going 😁

4 minutes ago, BiuBiv said:

you need to maintain your pokemons above some hp% 〔for my team around 87%〕to avoid the ohko in the beginning of 3rd stage, or after it ohko your lowest hp monster, send out one with full so it will use ghasly vision

I'll def keep that in mind thanks!!!