Improve Matchmaking.

caioxlive13

Question

The idea of this thread is to suggest a reform as a whole in the competitive MMO, in order to make it more attractive. We are currently in the biggest crisis of competitive MMO, because except for Randoms, all tiers have the number of matches severely reduced. It's so much so that sometimes I couldn't find a match to play, and detail: I play the Over Used tier. If one of most popular tiers are on this situation, things are even harder on lower tiers.

The idea is reform some crucial points to attract people to play.

1. Weaker Rewards. 

The rewards of PvP actually are very weak and not attractive. Basically anything that you farm on PvP, you can get more easily farming. We have some few exceptions, but this apply to vast majority of rewards. All items to use on Move Tutors, you'll get a lot with Frisk/thief farming. Nerfing the farm before not solve the situation, so why not put attractive itens that will get only via PvP farming? I have a idea:
 - Put on PvP reward Path, a Blank Disk on the path to be get with around 1040 Matchmaking Points(A bit before Pokémon Reward). When you go on tutors, they no longer teach the moves with you having the items. Instead, you will need of items, + a Blank Disk, to get the TM of said move, and then you can teach it. Why is the point: No disk = No way to get the move, unless buying him on GTL. And disk can only be get on PvP. So, people will want the disk and will play PvP for that because don't exist other way to get that. To balance a little, the TMs can be put on GTL, so people can still have the TMs without farm PvP, but will still get attractive even with that because the demand for that moves, people will interess on farming the disks to get the moves and sell it for good prices.
 - Include on Seasonal Reward Path items like Prismatic Pearls(1x or 2x), a 3x31/4x31 with HA, and going more far, a Master Ball. PvE players will still want Masterball, due to Alphas getting extreme hard to catch, and people that hunt shinys that could do a self-ko. This itens can be Untradeable or Account-linked.

2. Community-Hosted Tours very restrictive
Having the community hosted tours looks big but we need to follow a big amount of rules. First of all, we can only include 1 item/1 pokemon. This limit harm a lot. Imagine if we could put for example, a Shiny and a 30-Day donation ticket for winner but a 5x31 + 15-Day ticket for Runner-Up? We could bring easier 192 to 256 players to play, if tour was OU. Even from UT tours, if the prize is attractive enough players will go to play it. LCPL is the big proof of that, even part of LC subtiers get very very VERY rarely played, some payers go play it only for fight for the prize that are big. So idea is remove that limit and allow us to put very customizable and flexible prizes. Also, if we include a fee, we need to use 100% of it on prize pool and this, according to some admins, harm economy because system needs to create money of nothing(As if the Gym farm didn't do that already, right? 500/k for each farmer generated of nothing just because he during 2 hours are destroying each gym with a team planned for finish gym on 3 to 5 turns.). We can do something more flexible. Not force people to use 100% of fees on prize pool, but a minimum of 50% required is just enough. The rest can be kept with Admins or give a small part to players, like 15%, if have something left.

3. No balancing on Ladder
This problem is very evident on OU. Simply novice players facing like 3 650+ players in a row. I've passed several times on that situation before Season 9/10(Now i'm on the other side of Rope XD), but vast majority could easily give up if happen this with him. The purpose is simple: When you're on queue, system will check your elo and try to pick opponent with most closest elo on queue, so you get a more balanced opponent. To get a lot more balanced, the formula to rewards can be:

BP: (Match Ranking(Medium of elo beetween both players, round down)/2) * (Ranking Additive(1,5 * (Your Ranking, 2 for veteran, 1,5 for professional, 0,5 for novice, 1 otherwise(Top rank will be based on Elo. A 590 Elo with Top Rank will be considered Professional while a 680 Elo Top Rank will be considered veteran))) + (Win-streak, minimum of 1)/2).
Matchmaking Points: [Match Ranking(Medium of elo beetween both players, round down)/20] * [Ranking Additive(Your Ranking, 2 for veteran, 1,5 for professional, 0,5 for novice, 1 otherwise) + (Win-streak, minimum of 1)/4]
Both results will be rounded down.

Example:
I'm on a match on OU. Current Elo: 650, 3x win streak
My opponent have 640 Elo.
BP reward for me if i win: (645/2) * [(1,5 * 2) + (3/2)] = 322,5 * 4,5 = 1,451.25 , rounded to 1451.
MM Points: 645/20 * (2 + 0,75) = 32,25 * 2,75 = 88,6875 , rounded to 88.

4.  Usage System Modifying

I'm offering something to reformulate usage system. On first months the chaos would be unavoidable due to several things falling by usage, but after some time we will found the stability and don't have things like OU Cut-off Salamence or UU Cut-off Roserade unless something like Moxie Gyarados or Mold Breaker Excadrill gets released and broke the tier that it is.

Here is the idea:

First of all, we need to discard bad usage(usage that only create chaos on Usage table and only keeps bad mons on the tier, not letting it fall to a appropriate tier) from the usage table. Here's my idea to do that:

• 450 or lower Elo matches will not have their usage counted at all.
  • 450 - 550 Elo matches will have their usage counted normally.
  • 550 - 650 Elo matches will have their usage counted with height 2.
  • 650+ Elo matches will have their usage counted with height 3.
  • Players will not have their usage counted with less than 30 games played, and after that the usage will be counted following the rules above.

After That, cutoffs must change. Here's how it can do:

• Hard Cutoff - Rise: 4,86% Usage - Rise no mattering what.
  • Soft Cutoff - Rise: 4,36%-4,86% - Rise with winrate 52%+, otherwise it will not rise.
  • Soft Cutoff - Drop: 3,86%-4,36% - Drop with winrate 48%-, otherwise it will not drop.
  • Hard Cutoff - Drop: 3,86% - Drop, except if are BL from lower tier.

What is the idea?

• Wait 30 games before a player can contribute on usage wiill help to filter players and discard properly the Bad usage.
  • Hard and Soft Cutoffs will be used to avoid rise by spamming X mon on tier. Unless the mon is actually valuable and get good results, he will need of 4,86% usage or it will not rise. For drop, those cutoffs will help to drop gimmick things quickly because gimmick things will simply not get good results.
  • Less movements on Lower tiers will help because it will make tier stabilize and not having movements happening constantly, making teams barely changing on seasons. On MMO, because breeding teams are expensive, the less we need to change it, better will be.

This is it for now. Any idea? Comment

Edited by caioxlive13

7 answers to this question

14 hours ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Actually alot of good ideas. 

Sadly I don't think we will get a reply from some one able to change anything. 

Guys i find that all good players are complaining about the actual Uu/NU/DuBz system, staff members read, Sgm read too, and i think théy have the same idea 

SOME ACTIONS MUST BE TAKEN TO ENHANCE LOWER TIERS (and it won't take much time to apply) 

It can be tested for a short time and see its effect 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:09 PM, Jgaw said:

Guys i find that all good players are complaining about the actual Uu/NU/DuBz system, staff members read, Sgm read too, and i think théy have the same idea 

SOME ACTIONS MUST BE TAKEN TO ENHANCE LOWER TIERS (and it won't take much time to apply) 

It can be tested for a short time and see its effect 

Testing the 1st and 2nd feature suggested already help a lot. With second feature, just a player announce a 300m+ tour on Lower tiers and GG. Or simply donate to Grand Slam a good amount to use on qualifying tours, that are automated, and players will see it and build a team to take part on tour. Putting good rewards on lower tiers will sustain the players that entered, on the tier.

Reviving this thread instead of create a new one just to do a idea for the Community-hosted tours. Instead of we have admins taking care about this (Squirtle receiving the donations and approving events, while Cosmooth send the instructions to players and the request to admins), why not leave it 100% automated? Like, we have a facility on Battle Frontier that we don't use at all, and are related to tournaments. Why not leave it as a place for community create and join tours? 

Players will need to put the following informations:
 - Name of Tournament(Size limit would be the same than official tournaments)
 - Date and time(You can send on your timezone and system will convert it automatically.)
 - Entry Fees(If have)

Donations(if have some)
 - Distribution of prize pool. If the prize pool will rely part on fees, part on donations, the money coming from him will be listed separated. For example: $8m have been donated and can have up to $6,4m on fees(100/k fee). A 6x15 Hardy Eevee have been donated to prize pool and will be given for 1st place with 50% of prize pool. 2nd place receive 25% of prize pool, 3rd-4th will receive 12,5% each. On this case:
 - 1st place prize:
Eevee 15/15/15/15/15/15 , Hardy , Guarranted $4.000.000 , Up to $3.200.000 extra.
 - 2nd place prize:
Guarranted $2.000.000 , Up to $1.600.000 extra.
 - 3rd-4th place prize:
Guarranted $1.000.000 , Up to $800.000 extra.

Tiers will be the official by default, but you can customize it. Not too much hard things to customize. You can select the following custom rules:
 - Mon Whitelist: You select mons that people must have on your team. you can require a minimum amount of mons listed.
 - Mon Blacklist: You select mons that people must not bring/bring on a limited amount. Mons on blacklist you can customize the amount allowed(will be 0 by default)
 - Ability Blocked: You select abilitys that people cannot have. If have, the effect will be deactivated for the tournament. 
 - Move Banlist: You select Moves that people cannot have. If have, the effect will be deactivated for the tournament. 
 - Item Banlist: You select Items not allowed on the tournament
 - Pick team size: You will select the maximum amount of mons that you can pick on the match. 6 by default
 - Max team size: You will select the maximum amount of mons that you can bring on the match. 6 by default
 - Along with that, you can select the official clasules.  

After that, if nothing was wrong(time conflict for example(a tour hosted at same time), or other issues), you will receive a IP for your tournament. Just share it and players can locate it to join(with sign-ups open) or put on Waiting list. 15 minutes before tournament starts, sign-ups will be open. Anyone can sign-in as long as he have the IP of your tournament.

Example:

[VGC] VGC Official Championship Qualifiers #1

Spoiler

Fees: $50.000
Spots avaliable: 64.

Prizes:
 - 1st place prize:
Eevee 15/15/15/15/15/15 , Hardy , Guarranted $4.000.000 , Up to $1.600.000 extra.
 - 2nd place prize:
Guarranted $2.000.000 , Up to $800.000 extra.
 - 3rd-4th place prize:
Guarranted $1.000.000 , Up to $400.000 extra.

Rules:
 - Blacklist: 
Salamence, Milotic, Metagross, Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Serperior, Porygon2, Torkoal, Venusaur, Blastoise, Hariyama, Whimsicott, Scizor, Chandelure, Gigalith and Mamoswine. You can have only 2 of them at maximum on your team.
- Set Level: 50
 - Pick team size: 4
 - Clasules: Custom
  - Species Clasule
  - Item Clasule

[1v1] The Power of Scizor!

Spoiler

Fees: $10.000
Spots avaliable: 64.

Prizes:
 - 1st place prize:
Scyther 31/31/31/0/31/31 , Adamant , Guarranted $800.000 , Up to $320.000 extra.
 - 2nd place prize:
Guarranted $400.000 , Up to $160.000 extra.
 - 3rd-4th place prize:
Guarranted $200.000 , Up to $80.000 extra.

Rules:

- Mon Blacklist: Whimsicott, Dragonite. You cannot have them on your team
 - Move Banlist: Perish Song...(All moves that drop Accuracy, i will not go on Unofficial formats thread to pick the list)
 - Item Banlist: Focus Sash
 - Pick team size: 1
 - Max team size: 3
 - Clasules: Default

All players can have the freedom to create the format. I hardly encourage LC Club Moderators , if this got implemented, to leave a standard paste for the LC tours. I will do that on Unofficial Formats - Discussion thread for the formats listed, if happens.

A possibility is a type of ShareID for format pastes, that will be ready for everyone use on specific formats. Those pastes generate the ruleset automatically, and if owner edit, the edit apply immediatly, except to tours already scheduled.

Example:

VGC Open

Spoiler

Rules:

- Species Clasule
  - Item Clasule

VGC Restricted

Spoiler

Rules:
 - Blacklist: 
Salamence, Milotic, Metagross, Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Serperior, Porygon2, Torkoal, Venusaur, Blastoise, Hariyama, Whimsicott, Scizor, Chandelure, Gigalith and Mamoswine. You can have only 2 of them at maximum on your team.
  - Species Clasule
  - Item Clasule

Edited by caioxlive13